A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Blue_2 »

Glad you've caught up with us Baz! Finding bonus components is always a good thing...

Sadly, the museum has decided not to reopen after Lockdown Ver 2.0, so as far as work on 788 herself goes, that's us done for this year. It's not exactly been a stellar year, but we've done what we can. There may be minor updates if I get my replica NF panel to build up soon, but otherwise that's it.
Thankyou all for sticking with us through this, your continued interest and support really does mean so much to us. In a year that has had us all locked away for a lot of time, completely scuppered the plans of everyone and in every walk of life including our aircraft's restoration, and dealt me a particularly harsh lesson about the extremes of character of people we find in this hobby from the most spiteful through to the most generous, the fact that so many people read this (and the Facebook page) and support us from around the globe is a huge lift.

Due to not reopening this year, the Meteor Team Christmas tree has not been able to assume its now traditional place by the jet for all our visitors to wonder and marvel at (as seen here last year)...
but there was no way Plane Richie's great rendition of 788 wasn't going to grace the top of a tree this year. So... after a bit of Blue Peter-esque crafting involving card, glue, and sticky back plastic...
She graces the top of my own tree!

I hope this festive season is as good as it can be for you all, stay safe, I'll be back with a review of the year (for what it's worth..) later in the month, maybe news of my NF replica panel/travelling exhibit project, and if all goes well prior to that I might just be able to bring you news of a smaller, brightly coloured new arrival to the Naughty Corner, our little side project... :wink:
Meteor WS788 Restoration Project, Yorkshire Air Museum

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Sad that the year ends a bit flat, but it's a strange year overall. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures and those of 788 and trust that together you'll make even more progress in 2021. All the best and thanks for a vintage harvest. Cheers, Laurence

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Many thanks for all the updates, info and fun through the year mate. She’ll be patiently waiting til you can get back on the tools (after the first hour trying to remember where you left them :) )

Happy Xmas to you and the team from all at Sywell

TT

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Just to add my appreciation and thanks for your updates in what has been a taxing year for everyone!

It great that your interest and desire for '788 remains undiminished, where maybe, given the events of this year, it would be understandable if this had waned!

Therefore. many thanks, more power to your elbow and may the new year provide you with extra skin, with which to battle those inaccessible areas and hopefully Foxy has been given an amnesty and released from his confinement, for the duration of the closure, I'd hate to think that he be on his own, at this time of year.

Tony
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Graham, your updates throughout 2020 have been very much appreciated, as well as the effort put in to continue work as and when able during this difficult year. The humour still shone through with the escapades of a certain mascot (incidentally where is it spending Christmas then if the Museum has shut?)

I'm sure you won't remain idle for long even if you can't get on site. That panel will no doubt benefit from more time spent on it!

Now that you've shown your Meteor Christmas Tree topper - it's given me an idea that won't go down well with the better half here lol ;)

Looking forward to the year's round up post too!
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

AirportsEd

Post by AirportsEd »

I'm amazed how much you have actually achieved despite the crazy circumstances of this year, so, well done!
I've really enjoyed reading it all...and next year can only be better!

andrewclark

Post by andrewclark »

Hi Graham. I've finally got round to signing up to this site - purely so that I can say 'thank you' for doing what you do. Both the work you do on the aircraft, and the progress reports you put on here, are both truly great. I've been reading your blog for a year or two now, so I reckoned it was time for me to chip in with a bit of encouragement. Please keep on doing what you can, when you can. I do hope, when this horrible virus has been put in its place, I will be able to visit you. Rest assured, I will not be alone, but armed with Jaffa Cakes! Although I could never give you enough to adequately reward you for the enjoyment that you have given to me and, I know, a great many others. Take care, and thanks again. Andrew

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Where is the Yorkshire Jet Groper? Is he in a Jaffa cake based coma somewhere?

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Sun 06 Dec 2020, 10:13 pm
Where is the Yorkshire Jet Groper? Is he in a Jaffa cake based coma somewhere?
Calm yourself TT, I'm here! I think a jaffa cake induced coma would have been by far the best way to spend 2020... I've had a busy weekend, with real life stuff to do, and preparations for christmas, or the "Great Seasonal Unpleasantness" as the late and much missed Steve Hague used to call it, to be made. Also, maybe just a bit of Meteor component tinkering...!
Anyhoo, thanks for all your kind words chaps. I'm glad we have the back up and support from you lot; it's why we do what we do. That, and it keeps us out of the pub (ah yes pubs, anyone remember those...?!). I hope next year we can get away from living in fear of a virus, and get back to what we each call our normal lives. For myself, that'll be Sundays working in the hangar with good friends on aircraft I have a lot of love and enthusiasm for, hurling banter, rivets, and jaffa cakes around and telling our visitors about the jet, what we are doing, and why, all without having to hide behind a mask, then retiring to the pub for a few well earned beers. I cannot wait for that normal to be normal once more. Granted we did get a few months in summer where we had some semblance of that, but I (and I suspect everyone reading this) have had enough of my life being put more or less on pause because allegedly some bloke in China fancied his bat done rare.
Back to aircraft stuff, and last night I finally had a few moments to finish fettling the gyro compass I acquired for the NF instrument panel build. St Bruce of GB Air Spares saw me right with a bundle of instruments for this, among them was this gyro compass which, sadly, the damp had got to so its innards were seized. After a bit of surgery yesterday the innards are all now cleaned, oiled where necessary, freed off, so I put it all back together again and gave it a good clean up and it's turned out rather nice!

After a stock take, I'm 2 instruments short, an undercarriage indicator and one of the fuel gauges. I know I have a fuel gauge lying around at YAM, but if anyone has a U/C indicator lying around which they are getting fed up of being a dust catcher.......!

Also... the little friend for 788 I have acquired should be arriving next weekend, all being well. So, there's something for you all to look forward to seeing!

Edit: Poor Foxy Dave will I fear be spending christmas alone in the cockpit of XV250. Perhaps had his keepers played the game and bent to our demands and not gone all "Iranian Embassy" and staged futile rescue efforts, he would be enjoying a traditional festive season with his loved ones.......!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

It seems I have a free evening for once, so as the year is done as far as physical spannering on 788 is concerned I thought I might as well sit down with a brew and compile for your reading pleasure....
Meteor WS788 Project Review 2020
...such as it is. it started OK, had a half decent couple of months in the Summer.... and that was it. Anyway...
January
So the year started with the canopy stripped, and the frame beginning to recieve some tlc.
It also saw the beginning of putting right this mess, the rear fuselage rudder cable pulleys
The removal of these smashed brackets was a long, drawn-out affair due to the fact that access is rather on the poor side!
But I prevailed, and they would prove invaluable in making up templates for manufacturing new brackets for the jet. We also got a replacement for the missing IFF aerial under the nose made up
While the NF(T) didn't carry IFF, the aerial was still fitted. I suspect 788 lost hers after retirement at Kemble.
February
began very positively, with a visitor from South Wales, Jason Holloway bringing us the forward rudder cables removed as surplus from his Meteor T.7 cockpit project
Thanks to his generosity, this was another missing part of the 788 jigsaw 'in the bag', and a load more work set up for ourselves. I also dismantled the trim tab control box, as it was very scruffy and letting the cockpit down badly
After a restoration, repainting of the captions on the panel, and new transparencies made up for the trim indicators, it looked much nicer
Also one of our outsourced jobs started to come together, the rudder mounting frame. Ours was missing, so we borrowed one to copy off the nice chaps at East Midlands Aeropark (more on them later), and had this replica made...
We also began running the newly acquired rudder cables where no complete control cable had been since 1966...
And, in among all this, I made a start on reinstating the front cockpit electrical systems, starting with the lighting.

March
started brightly (literally) with a full set of lamps ready for refitting to 788's front office
and in fact we got some fitted and running directly from our test battery straight away!
As I had some back issues early in the month, I stuck to the lightweight job of trying to modify 2 spare instrument panel feed looms to become the next looms along the line. This would give us feeds to all the instruments, and all the lighting and their controls on the main panel, from their respective junction boxes.
A lot of chasing blue and yellow spaghetti with a meter ensued...
And then... Covid-19 happened, and that was that. Lockdown. No more Meteor-ing for a while. Fortunately I had just moved before lockdown, so I was kept busy with decorating etc. I kept my Meteor 'fix' though, by building an Airfix 1/48 model of our F.8 WL168(marked as WK864)
as well as getting my Meteor photo archive something like organised
April
...well what a month that wasn't! Apart from some bits on my Lincoln panel project no full size aircraft-ing happened. I did finish the F.8, and built a second 1/72 one as VZ568, the Sennybridge range Meteor we scavenged for parts a couple of years ago. Going up a scale back to 1/48, near the end of the month the Sword release of the NF.14 which I had consulted on plopped onto the doormat, which was a nice thankyou
With nothing better to do with my days, this was straight onto the build bench!
May
started as April finished, trying to keep occupied. Models helped massively, I finished the builds in 1/72 of 568 and 788
The Sword 1/48 NF didn't hang around on the bench for long either!
Towards the middle of the month, I was able to get my hands on some bits of 788 once more! The cockpit components of the Rebecca system and the tail light and fairing sent to me for restoration, and the radio racking out of the back of the jet was sent to Simon for similar TLC

June
saw another project arrive, as I was asked to tidy the museum's Dragonfly panels, and enable the instrument lights to be powered up. These panels had had issues with radioactivity, so the affected instruments had been removed and repalced with incredibly convincing 3d printed replicas supplied by Replitek.
So after digging out an old computer PSU to provide a reliable 12v power supply, and giving a set of 12v bulbs the red paint treatment, I set to work. The result being a kit of parts working off the battery switch, and running all cockpit lighting off the dimmer switches, even boasting an operational voltmeter!
A thoroughly enjoyable little challenge/project for the museum. I look forward to bringing life to more of the YAM exhibits in this way.
Also in June, the main panel out of 788 arrived with me for a refurb.
I know it doesn't look bad... but it could look much better. So I set to, stripping the instruments out and cleaning and restoring them as required. These all came up nicely, the horrible paint on the panel defied my attempts to remove it though, so off it went to our friends Joe and Lyndon Blackburne who had kindly offered to strip it back and repaint it for me. I carried on working my way through the instruments, including the pilot's oxygen regulator

Then, in late June, I was able to get my hands on 788 for the first time since March!
Simon and I were among the younger, less Covid vulnerable volunteers who had been asked in to help get the museum ready for reopening, so we did a few days tidying aircraft, reorganising our corner a bit, going round site moving exhibits and aircraft to make the site Covid-friendly, blowing up tyres, general maintenance stuff which had been unable to happen for 3 months really. But it was so good to be back! I was able to get the panels refitted to the Dragonfly too.
The month ended with a tidy Naughty Corner, and us lot champing at the bit eager to return
July
July 4th saw the country come out of the stifling conditions of lockdown, and YAM was able to reopen. While the museum found its feet we engineers were unable to attend, so for most of the month while the museum settled into the new normal we waited patiently. At the very end of the month, we were able to return for out first real working day since mid March! This was very much a reorientation day for us, but I was able to get the hydraulic tank out of the jet as we have a better example to swap it for
We also received the kind donation of a NF radome cover!
August
We were all settling into the new normal of social distancing from other engineers and the visitors. We usually like to interact with our more interested visitors, so this all felt very alien to us. I got the new hyd tank ready to fit
And Simon finally claimed victory in his battle to extract the rudder autostabiliser!
This meant he could get on with stabilising the corrosion in its bay on the fin and make replacements for the metalwork which had corroded away, which was the original point in removing the autostabiliser. He really has had a Battle Royale with this most stubborn little *insert expletive here*, but he won in the end.
The next task I moved on to in August was making up the replacement rudder cable pulley brackets. I find fabricating new components quite an enjoyable process and challenge, and these new brackets with mangled twisted scraps as my only guide proved to be no exception
The metalwork theme continued in the month, with me adding the replacement bracketry in the rear fuselage...
...and Simon doing likewise for the rudder autostab bay
We also received the panel back from the Blackburne boys!
Who had brought the replica they had made for themselves using ours as a guide along too
Perfect fit!
It's one of these panels I have coming soon for myself, as a sort of WS788 travelling exhibit. It'll look pretty good! Last job for the month was homework, taking the bare panel home and reuniting it with its instruments and wiring loom

The very last weekend of August saw the panel dropped back in the jet, wired up... and working for the first time since 1966!

As months in 2020 go, August was about the best the year could scrape together really. The only month which felt genuinely productive.
September
saw me back on messing about jobs, as I had damaged my back at work (again) so making aerial mounts
and removing access panels for future jobs was about the limit of ambition for me. She finally had her IFF aerial fitted under the nose
Simon continued his good work making good the autostab bay in the fin
and I cleaned out the nose bays of the jet we had been dumping junk in. In the process I pulled out the old equipment racking in the upper bay, as there is some corrosion in there needing some looking at. While it was out the racking was sorted out too
Late September saw a road trip for Simon and I, a run to the only other museum I have visited this year, East Midlands Aeropark. We were delivering some parts we had exchanged with them for some of their aircraft, some Argosy manuals I had donated, and the canopy perspexes for the Meteor. These will be used as masters for 2 new sets at least, one for East Mids' WS760 and one for our jet, plus further sets for any other interested museums. Many of the NF's in captivity really could benefit from new glazing, it seems to be an Achilles heel as they either cloud, crack, or both! After a great day being shown around, we left with a boot full of swapsies, and we have more to go back and collect!
One item we were given was one of the engine driven ancilliary gearboxes, this went straight on 788 to get it out of the way!
I cannot recommend EMA enough. A great little museum, friendy people, give them a visit and support when such things are allowed again. I am looking forward to going back, partly because of gathering the rest of the kit they have very kindly offered us, and partly just because its a good day out among likeminded mates.
Some other minor tail metalwork was completed... and after offering Simon and the returned Scott one last fight the autostabiliser finally went back in!
October
This month saw the continuation of the work on the JP's nose section which, as a higher priority than 788, took up my working days at the beginning of the month. Once it became a game of waiting for the penetrating oil to do its thing, I was able to turn my attention back to the Meteor and continuing the threading through of the rudder cables. As this required an amount of deskinning and reskinning this took most of the working days in the month, Scott was a great help as Simon was out of action with a knee injury and as it turned out running these cables really is much easier with 2 people. But... the month's end saw the 2 pairs of cables in and done
November
....and lockdown was looming large in people's minds on the first working day of the month and, as it turned out, the last working day of the year, not that we knew that back then. I finished the riveting under the starboard side of the nose back together, and we reinstated the elvator controls, bolting the insides of the tail assembly back together once more

December
YAM made the call not to reopen, which while it saddened us deeply I can understand. I hope we can get back to working on the aircraft early in 2021, and I really hope that when I sit down to write the review of next year it'll be a very much more positive set of scribblings.
While I don't know when it will be, I do know normal service WILL be resumed. None of what has been thrown at us this year, as people, a team, a country, or a species, is going to change that. We are more determined than ever to see this project through to it's shiny silver and dayglo conclusion, we've a lot of people's support and kindness to repay, and a small number of people to stick 2 fingers up at for doubting us and trying to derail our efforts!

See you in 2021 :slight_smile:

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

What a fascinating review that is Graham!
Looking back over the year like this just shows how much you've achieved in the somewhat limited time available for you and the team on 788! Great progress has been made for sure - and if Covid hadn't got in the way, I wonder how different the end of the year might have been on that Meteor?
2021 looks promising if you can get more time back on her and wrap up many more jobs on that list.

Great work - as always :)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Amazing! What a read!

Laurence

Dr_Q

Post by Dr_Q »

Brilliant review, many thanks.
Very best wishes for Xmas and the New Year. Lets hope 2021 allows you to get your teeth into 788 more regularly and she eventually gets that silver and orange sparkle she deserves.
Daks Over Dux
Flying Legends
RIAT (Mach 3)
Wings over Houston

er, that's about it this year I reckon.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Thanks chaps. I would say hopefully we'll get back on track sometime in the second half of 2021, but I think after this year just laying a brand new track as we go along is the best plan! :laughing:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Little job done this evening, when we went to deepest darkest Wiltshire at the weekend to pick up our new side project off Nigel Coward, he also gave us back the case for our Rebecca controller which we lent him to replicate for his Canberra T.4 cockpit project. When I restored the case, I just sent him the case only without the guts as they are quite heavy and it was to be posted. Now the shell is back, it's time to refit the innards...
Soon done. The front looks no different...
...but from behind you can see the innards now fitted. In addition as you can see, the mounting bracket is now also refitted.
So, that's the controller ready to refit! Some time in 2021 I assume...
As to the side project, if you haven't seen it yet I have started a thread of its very own.
viewtopic.php?f=65&p=907797#p907797
Please do take a look, hopefully the mods will pin the thread as they have the 788 thread. Enjoy!

12jaguar

Post by 12jaguar »

Always nice to make some progress no matter how small

John

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Indeed, every little helps!

baz1962

Post by baz1962 »

Well it's 2021 here in New Zealand so thought I'd pop in to wish you and all the other Forum members a Happy New Year. Thanks for the review too. Stay safe over there! :slight_smile:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Happy 2021 everyone! And it's fair to say that the year hasn't made the best of starts. A not unexpected lockdown means we can't hit the ground running as we would have liked, but I have at least had one little project to get on with, the "travelling exhibit" NF.14 panel build. Just before Christmas this rather lovely bare panel blank, made using precise measurements taken from 788's panel, arrived in my sticky little paws.
So I busied myself drilling out the marked holes, then when I was ready I fitted the plate the fuel gauges mount on and the surplus old ILS light bracket formerly fitted to 788
Earlier this week I found myself with the time to start test fitting the instruments in the panel
Remarkably little fettling was needed to make them fit. This fettling was done today, I then took advantage of a rare warm ray of sunshine to get the panel etch primed
then, a second warm ray of sunshine happened along so I got the matt black top coat applied
Before spending this afternoon mildly fettling and final fitting the instruments!
All that remains it to fit my other fuel gauge, 4 lights which thanks to the magic of ebay will be on their way shortly, then make and fit a mounting bracket for the E2 compass, then job's done! This along with the NF rear cockpit electrical control panel will form the basis of a travelling exhibit telling the story of our project, and raising the profile of the Meteor NF in particular and YAM in general
Always assuming of course that we can ever travel out anywhere.... See you at Cockpitfest 2027! :joy:
Huge thanks to the Canberra WK124 boys, St. Bruce of Norwich (you all know who I mean!), and Nigel Coward for playing their parts in bringing this project to fruition.

HAVAVSOC

Post by HAVAVSOC »

Hi Graham,

Belated New Year greetings from locked down members at Strad.

I keep telling myself it can only get better as I should get a first jab next month!

John
www.havavsoc.org.uk

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Happy new year to you all at Strad, hope the jab goes OK John!

A bit more done on the NF display panel this weekend, our Heritage manager Gary part built a bracket for me for the E2 compass, then sent it to me to finish, drill and paint. It is seen here with the E2 being test fitted
After this it was dismantled again, etch primed and painted matt black, before being riveted to the panel and then being reunited with the compass.
Also I was able to get my hands on our spare fuel gauge once more, which has now taken its place in the panel
This gauge was last fitted to a panel 60 years ago. It's host airframe? Sister ship to ours, WS787. 787 survived to the end of NF ops at RAF Tengah, Singapore, and on retirement became Tengah gate guard. When the RAF vacated Tengah they took 787 with them, and she ended her days on the RAF Gan fire dump. 2 sisters with very different fates... anyway one of her fuel gauges lives on with us
So, just the lights to do, then that's the NF panel done. Looks pretty good with the NF stick top!

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

I've been admiring the standard of workmanship and dedication from afar but seeing your 'Wings' binders takes me back a long way. My set is stored in the attic of the house I grew up in as I had no space to store them myself. I must retrieve them on my next visit.

Keep up the good work. Its fascinating to see it all developing.