Hunter PR11 WT723

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
capercaillie

Hunter PR11 WT723

Post by capercaillie »

Just read on FC that the beautiful and formerly airworthy PR11 has just appeared mounted on a pole in Tyseley, Birmingham.

Sadly, never really got a chance to see it in the stunning colours that it had more recently been painted in. :frowning2:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Gt5500

Re: Hunter PR11 WT723

Post by Gt5500 »

So depressing, will we ever get to see a hunter display again? Or any other classic jet for that matter. I don't like to be all doom and gloom but in the last few years the air show scene has been on a downward spiral that shows no sign of abating.
Warbirds aside I just don't know what there will be to see in the coming years.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

How incredibly depressing. Thunder & Lightnings website states:
All major components have been removed, the interior is sprayed with anti corrosive oils and the canopy is completely sealed, in the hopes that if times change sufficiently, she could remain viable for a return to flight.
Sadly I feel that pole is the highest place she'll ever reach again.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 28 Sep 2021, 9:37 am
So depressing, will we ever get to see a hunter display again? Or any other classic jet for that matter. I don't like to be all doom and gloom but in the last few years the air show scene has been on a downward spiral that shows no sign of abating.
I'm not even sure the piston warbirds have much of a long term future in the UK with reduced airshow revenue and the potential future issues with 100LL availability?

Civvie vintage jets ops in the UK are all but dead I'm afraid. Even prior to Shoreham, Mike Collet had put up all his fleet for sale and then Shoreham sadly hammered the nails in I'm afraid, with the final straw being the loss of the Sea Vixen.

You'll need to head to mainland Europe and especially Scandanavia to see them in future with the Saab historic flight, plus a few Hunters in Sweden and the awesome TF-104 based in Bodo in Norway. There's a few Hunters and stuff in Switzerland as well.

Obviously the USA is the other place, although the grounding of the Collings jet fleet has reduced the number, although there's still a good number of Sabre's and a few MiG15's and a 17 flying, plus the Starfighters team in Florida, although I think they are now more involved with NASA and contract stuff than displays?

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Norwegian CF-104D hasn’t flown for a few years now and I believe there are still unresolved seat issues to solve before it flies again.

st24

Post by st24 »

Aww hell, only just saw this. What a terrifible loss, a proper jet warbird.. It was so good to see and hear the Dutch F6A in Belgium a few weeks ago, which is of course still on the UK register. Their 2 seater has been retired and stripped but they've taken on an ex Swiss machine that will (is?) be repainted in Dutch trainer scheme and again, will be on the UK register as G-EHLW.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

CJS

Post by CJS »

GeeRam wrote:
Tue 28 Sep 2021, 10:14 am
Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 28 Sep 2021, 9:37 am
Civvie vintage jets ops in the UK are all but dead I'm afraid. Even prior to Shoreham, Mike Collet had put up all his fleet for sale and then Shoreham sadly hammered the nails in I'm afraid, with the final straw being the loss of the Sea Vixen.
Apart from the Jet Provosts/Strikemasters, Gnats, Vampires (there's one UK registered I think but the ones from Norway are regular airshow visitors), is there a Venom flying in the UK still too? How about HHA - are their fleet still airworthy (at least in theory)? That would be more Hunters, a Buccaneer and an Su-22

Their website says (of both the SU-22 and the Buccaneer):"...is currently in storage at HHA’s RAF Scampton facility undergoing regular anti-det maintenance and custodial ground runs. The aircraft, it’s systems and spares are maintained in such a condition that it can readily be reactivated to flight status should a contractual tasking arise which requires the performance & flight envelope of the Buccaneer platform."

I don't know how out of date that is though!
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Mike

Post by Mike »

HAA operate their aircraft on the Military register, on contract work only (apart from the occasional static airshow appearance) and their Buccaneer and Su-22 have not flown in their hands.

Venoms are pretty much extinct nowadays, certainly in the UK. One in New Zealand, one in Switzerland, and that's about it AFAIK

So basically we've got a handful of JPs/Strikemasters (one less since the prototype JP T5 was trashed at North Weald recently), Gnats (which have only made one or two airshow appearances in the last 5 years), single examples of the Vampire (which made a single airshow appearance in N.Ireland a few years back), L29 & L39, and that's pretty much it.

At least vintage helicopters seem to be on the resurgence.

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

JP Mk.4 G-BXLO has recently been grounded too. Owing to new CAA mandatory inspection requirements on the Viper engine (regardless of condition or TBO).
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"