Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Post by Domvickery »

Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

FGR2

Re: £5m Shackleton return to flight

Post by FGR2 »

Ouch.....£5 million :shock: that is near Vulcan restoration money. (I think the initial Vulcan estimates were originally £3.5 million).

Is a respar required on the Shack?

Fingers crossed they can get the money together.

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

but this will involve a new main spar which will let WR963 fly for the next 40 years........... :yahoo:

something the XH558 will never do, no matter how much money they throw at her......... :sad:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Yup... its us, and that is the cost not just for the new spars - which are main and trailing spar top and bottom booms, spar webs, and attachments - but to basically zero the clock. All lifed components replaced with brand new, zero timed items ready to go - giving around another 4,300 - 6,300 hours of life, as was gained by the spar work done on the AEW2 aircraft at Bitteswell many years ago. At a 100 hours annual usage... we'll run out of Avgas first.

We debated whether to go ahead and publish the 'worst case scenario' cost, but figured a shock now was better than revisions to how much funding we need later. Trust me when I say you're going to know what it costs every step of the way, right here on your own forum. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Whether the funding comes our way easily, or hard, we're going for it and the Permit to Fly application will be going in shortly.

Kind regards,

Rich W
SPT
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Could be a case of The Howl is dead. Long live the Growl. Shackleton to the skies :rock:
I have very fond memories of Shacks circuit bashing in the early 80's while on holiday at Lossie. My parents used to leave me on the road to cross the fairway to the threshold with a flask and sarnies and my trusty Pentax K1000 with 50mm lens. Shacks were the best shots as they filled the frame :grin: Oh for digital in those days :wall:

So where do we donate and how long will this take to descend into a 390 page slagging off thread? :smile:

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I will be donating Rich! I wish you and your team all the best :clap:
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Der

Post by Der »

Great news. Would be fantastic to see one of these old ladies back in her element and hear that unmistakeable growl again.I too have fond memories of watching them at Lossie.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

There is masive goodwill within the airshow fan base for the Shak, so much character and lucky to have seen them at a few shows in my youth. I will be donating as it seems a very acheivable goal and with good old fashioned pistols doing the work, a blown engine is not that big a deal (comparatively speaking)
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Mike

Post by Mike »

pbeardmore wrote:.........with good old fashioned pistols doing the work........

Flintlocks?

rogerdodger

Post by rogerdodger »

Great news, money waiting to send to donation website :clap:
cold war jets are really hot

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

richw_82 wrote:We debated whether to go ahead and publish the 'worst case scenario' cost, but figured a shock now was better than revisions to how much funding we need later. Trust me when I say you're going to know what it costs every step of the way, right here on your own forum. The good, the bad, the ugly.

Kind regards,

Rich W
SPT

Good for you Rich.................... :worship:
thats the way it should be............... :clap:

Now that I am working, I shall do my best to contribute towards `Shackleton to the sky` :biggrin:

Do you have any leaflets that you can send me so I can hand them out on our camera rambles :up:

EDIT, did a bit of promoting today at the South Yorkshire Tranport Museum when I got talking about aviation because I was wearing my 558 fleece.........
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Rich that is great news. one thing i have been thinking about though. now Chadderton and Woodford is closed who will make the spars? and if there is anything you need from up here in the norhwest for the project, just give me a ring and will gladly bring it down for you.

To see another Avro type flying again is just a dream come true, as the last time I saw a shack flying was way back in 1991 when the Shack flew over the lancaster at Woodford Airshow just a couple of days till they retired them.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Think I read some time back that they are a few spars sitting around, sure Rich can shed more light on the matter of spars etc thou.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

It'd be great to see another 'heavy' return to the airshow scene! I wish the team every success!

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi chaps,

Thanks for the positive vibes so far.

The new website ran into difficulties with all the donation/paypal/giftaid stuff as we are a registered charity (1020951) and setting all that lot up to work with it isn't as straightforward as it ought to be, with all of them wanting to see various documents to approve things. As it stands I'm told two weeks top to sort this out.

Leaflets are coming, but the first batch are going with the MR1/T4 nose section to East Kirkby at Easter weekend, so others will have to wait until we have a stash to send out to people that want them.

Spar booms, are not a problem, as if originals don't exist any more we have these:

Along with 16 one ton boxes containing the rest, and the Design Rights. The blanks are machined to be aircraft specific, and some of the drawings for the spars are also; so we don't gain much by finding unused original sets from the re-spar programme - other than perhaps the material cost. The last known original set were used on the Lancaster, though I regularly hear a persistant rumour 'someone saw a set' a Bruntingthorpe.. I reckon it is only a rumour though.

Kind regards,

Rich W
Last edited by richw_82 on Sat 18 Dec 2021, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Rich,

Great news re the progress of the project!

If you need any further advice i.e. re Gift Aid you’ll have to make contact again; NAM’s just had to re-do all of its Gift Aid paperwork / signage to ensure that it complies with the ever changing regulations. This includes a lot of ‘back-end’ stuff, which has recently seen some ‘new guidelines’ introduced without any apparent formal notification. :dunno:

Once you get the Gift Aid side sorted it’s a valuable source of additional revenue, but they’re tightening up on how it is reclaimed; NAM had an audit a few years ago and had to make a repayment!

Also remember that if you’re processing data you’ll have to register under the Data Protection Act.

As I’ve told you before keep smiling and working away. :up:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

How does the insurance costs look? Being a 4 engine goliath and knowing the previous funding problems that Sally B team have had too endure and address popst 9/11

Wish you best of all the luck though. :clap: :clap:

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Loved the Shack...
I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw one fly at an airshow,it was down for the Abingdon BoB show 1989 but the weather was dreadful that day and very little flew in the flying programme(we only arrived for the actual airshow times :wink: )
The contra rotating props made a great sound did they not! :tongue:

neilesmith

Post by neilesmith »

This project really deserves to succeed and for my part the funding that I used to give to another project at Coventry will now be available for the Shackleton since they moved too far away for me to stay involved.Best of luck.
Are you coming quietly or will I need the earplugs?

st24

Post by st24 »

Abingdonman wrote:Loved the Shack...
I'm struggling to remember the last time I saw one fly at an airshow,it was down for the Abingdon BoB show 1989 but the weather was dreadful that day and very little flew in the flying programme(we only arrived for the actual airshow times :wink: )

The Shack did fly at Abo 89 - made an incredible sight pulling wing tip vortices in the very moist air! :shock:
'90 should have been the last full display season but that was cancelled following the tragic loss of "Dylan" and all 10 on board in may have that year. I would therefore say that Mildenhall '91 was the last public appearance of a RAF Shack- albeit limited to flypasts rather than full display, as by then the big grey boring airliner was about to enter service... :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

PeterR

Re: Shackleton WR963 - [Official Topic]

Post by PeterR »

I for one have never seen a Shackleton fly, and am genuinely excited for the prospect of it! :drool:

timuss

Post by timuss »

Likewise ive never seen a Shackleton flying, god times ahead fingers crossed and the best of luck :cool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

st24

Post by st24 »

PeterR wrote:I for one have never seen a Shackleton fly, and am genuinely excited for the prospect of it! :drool:

You don't "see" a Shack fly - you feel it through your very body!

Turn the volume up to 11.... :rock:

http://youtu.be/WY5BvGosYSU
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Daz

Post by Daz »

I'[d love to see a Shack fly again. The last time saw one was at Southend in the '90's. A fantastic sound.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:
Abingdonman wrote:Loved the Shack...

The Shack did fly at Abo 89 - made an incredible sight pulling wing tip vortices in the very moist air! :shock:
'90 should have been the last full display season but that was cancelled following the tragic loss of "Dylan" and all 10 on board in may have that year. I would therefore say that Mildenhall '91 was the last public appearance of a RAF Shack- albeit limited to flypasts rather than full display, as by then the big grey boring airliner was about to enter service... :sad:

A full display was flown at Cosford '91, certainly the last display I can remember seeing in service, I'm guessing they may have flown a solo somewhere when they performed the last "tour".
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/