The People’s Mosquito

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
BillRamsey

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Post by BillRamsey »

Thanks John, good point well-made! You need to remember Ross has scarcely been to sleep for the last year whilst he single-handedly reviewed the 22000+ drawings. Perhaps we can forgive him the rare slip?

Bill

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

BillRamsey wrote:Thanks John, good point well-made! You need to remember Ross has scarcely been to sleep for the last year whilst he single-handedly reviewed the 22000+ drawings. Perhaps we can forgive him the rare slip?

Bill

I reckon. But this is UKAR after all..... :wink:

John

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Ahh! My typos are legendary (Some due to broken fingers whilst playing cricket - including for RAF Finningley in the RAF League!)

I'll remember to triple check everything involving Farnboro John, in future
Director, Engineering & Airframe Compliance, The People's Mosquito Ltd
Principal, Air Show Consultants

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Shortfinals wrote:Ahh! My typos are legendary (Some due to broken fingers whilst playing cricket - including for RAF Finningley in the RAF League!)

I'll remember to triple check everything involving Farnboro John, in future

That might be quite a lot.... I've been a Mosquito fan since my Dad overruled Mum to let me watch 633 Squadron at the age of six (a very long time ago) so I watch this thread closely. Don't mind me, I'm right behind your project!

John

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

A huge thank you from John, Steve and the rest of the TPM staff, to all those who visited The People's Mosquito stand at the Shuttleworth Trust's Season Opener, yesterday. These including the staff from the Coningsby Aviation Heritage Centre, as well as noted WW2 aviation historian and author, Ken Cothliff, ('Under the Maple Leaf'). Great weather, stunning displays, and a sold out crowd. What a start to the season!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Shortfinals wrote:These including the staff from the Coningsby Aviation Heritage Centre, as well as noted WW2 aviation historian and author, Ken Cothliff, ('Under the Maple Leaf').

And me :-) - I bought a hat :-) lol

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Thanks for the support, Boff - tan, blue or white? (Hat, I mean!). Hope you approved of the new banners with the Retrotec branding (and enjoyed the amazing domestic fireguard made out of a Mosquito fuselage section which we acquired)

If you are going to RIAT, please drop by the TPM stand in the Blue Zone. I'll be coming over from the US for that (and Farnborough Trade Days), and would enjoy the chance to have a talk.

By the way, any and all UKAR Members are more than welcome to drop in for a chat at any of the events we attend this season. Please identify yourself as belonging to UKAR, and we'll be happy to go into detail about the project. I'll be putting up a complete list soon, but don't worry if you feel you'd rather go to Duxford than Fairford - we'll have a stand and staff at both this year.

Oh, and you can always sign up for our free email newsletter, 'The Buzz', for all the latest news and information bit.ly/TPMTheBuzz

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Shortfinals wrote:A huge thank you from John, Steve and the rest of the TPM staff, to all those who visited The People's Mosquito stand at the Shuttleworth Trust's Season Opener, yesterday. These including the staff from the Coningsby Aviation Heritage Centre, as well as noted WW2 aviation historian and author, Ken Cothliff, ('Under the Maple Leaf'). Great weather, stunning displays, and a sold out crowd. What a start to the season!

So that's why Ken knows so much.... I spent the whole afternoon with him yesterday (we happened to set up next to each other, you know how it is) but I had no idea!

I bought a t-shirt from TPM too (blue), and I will get around to joining up once I've had the car serviced and bought some new tyres for it.

See you at RIAT, Saturday.

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Ken Cothliff and I are old, old friends and along with David Lee (formerly, IWM Duxford) used to have a high old time with the old Great Vintage Flying Weekend event, which some of you might remember used to wander around from ex MoD airfield to ex MoD airfield in the Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire area (I think the farthest south we went was Keevil and the farthest north was Abingdon). Ken used to set up his Air Supply stand, then come and 'guest' sometimes in the commentary booth with David and I. The 'Three Musketeers' of GVFWE had a grand time! I enjoyed it so much that I used to fly back from Massachusetts each year, just to annoy him!

Ken is an acknowledged expert on the RCAF in WW2 and the Halifax, especially. He's also one of those distinguished individuals, that through their work in aviation, have made it onto the 'Affiliates List' of The People's Mosquito.

He's a grand lad, a recovering Scouser, and a good mate.

(And he swears that he didn't pay me to say that, either!)

Oh, and thank you, John - so much - for buying the T-shirt. Every piece of clothing sold, helps; Club Memberships help even more (plus you get 'Mossie Bites', free, a tasteful pin badge and much more - we look forward to sending you your Membership pack, after you've bought the tyres!). I look forward to chatting with you on the Saturday at RIAT. I'll be easy to spot; I'll be the one on the stand looking permanently jet-lagged!

Cheers

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Gentlemen,

As promised, here are the coming 2018 events at which The People's Mosquito will be represented. Just look for the blue marquee and logo flags (I'm trying to get these marquees named 'Mosquito Manor', but I think something like that has already been done!) We will be able to cover both Legends and RIAT on the same weekend by sending one unit plus staff to both events. Please note the very worthy 'Mosquito Day' by the Friends of the New Forest Airfields Museum at Bransgore. This small, local museum will be holding a day celebrating the Mosquito. No flying, of course, but worthwhile dropping by if you are in the New Forest area, if only to hear talks during the day by one of our Directors, Alan Pickford, who lives nearby. https://fonfasite.wordpress.com/find-us/

Duxford 26/05/18 27/05/18 Duxford Air Festival
Bransgore 27/05/18 27/05/18 FONFA "Mosquito Day"
Godmanchester 02/06/18 02/06/18 Godmanchester Bomber Command Veterans Day
Cosford 10/06/18 10/06/18 RAF Cosford Airshow
Bicester 23/06/18 24/06/18 The Classic and Sports Car Show in association with Flywheel
Old Warden 01/07/18 01/07/18 Shuttleworth Military Pageant Airshow
Yeovilton 07/07/18 07/07/18 RNAS Yeovilton International Air Day
Duxford 14/07/18 15/07/18 Flying Legends
Fairford 13/07/18 15/07/18 Royal International Air Tattoo
East Kirkby 04/08/18 04/08/18 East Kirkby Airshow
Biggin Hill 18/08/18 19/08/18 Biggin Hill Festival of Flight
Dunsfold 25/08/18 26/08/18 Wings & Wheels
Old Warden 02/09/18 02/09/18 Shuttleworth Heritage Day
Duxford 22/09/18 23/09/18 Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show
Coningsby 29/09/18 29/09/18 LLA Members Day
Last edited by Shortfinals on Thu 10 May 2018, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wales being ignored, then..... :whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Lack of local volunteers *cough*; since my brother in Barry has a cardiac condition, we're a bit thin on the ground!

We would also need to fund a third unit (and stock) and train staff, to cover Wales and the West Country - which, since we have just gone to two from one will take a little doing. One to consider for the future, I think

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Don't know about Rhyl, but the organisers of the Wales Airshow ( Swansea ) have claimed a footfall of around 250,000 visitors for the last few airshows....got to be worth considering.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Indeed, Wales was considered by the Board at the start of the season, but it would have been a stretch for us in terms of distance from where the stock and gazebo units are stored, hotel costs, etc. so we reluctantly decided against it. We are in a rapid expansion phase; our growth - in terms of volunteers, number of events serviced, speaking engagements by Board members, etc has been very gratifying, but we all recognise we can do more. Yes, if any UKAR Member can come up with ideas regarding what might make us a better/more efficient organisation, or wishes to become a volunteer, do please contact a Board Member - one or more of us is usually in attendance at any of the airshows we attend. TPM does - after all - stand for The People's Mosquito !

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

To all UKAR Members/Staff:- Please do drop by The People's Mosquito stand at the Duxford Air Festival this weekend. Two Directors and some of our Volunteers will be in attendance. Pop in, ask questions, and remember to drop your completed slip into the bright orange box, to sign-up for our free e-newsletter, 'The Buzz'. Also, we will be happy to tell you about the benefits of joining our TPM Club (free Journal, 'Mossie Bites', and more). Let's build a Mossie in Britain!

Andover

Post by Andover »

You can count another member! :smile:

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Andover wrote:You can count another member! :smile:

Thank you so much, Andover - much obliged! I have been receiving reports (and shots) from the guys on the stand, including our CEO, John Lilley , and Commercial Director, Steve Manning. A cracking show and lots of interest in the project. We were visited by Arthur V Williams of Channel 4 fame. Arthur's a pilot AND he's a huge Mosquito fan! Also, an old friend of mine, Elly Sallingboe, dropped by. She chatted with the staff about TPM - but did she have to tell them all about how I was flour-bombed from a Tiger Moth??!! A smashing lady.

I'll be getting a full report later, but it sounds like a really good show.

https://twitter.com/GRossSharp/status/1 ... 1086623744

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

As well as Duxford Air Festival, of course, a very interesting 'Mosquito Day' took place at the Friends of the New Forest Airfields Museum in Bransgore, Hampshire, today. TPM's Director of Finance, Alan Pickford was there to give a series of short talks and to present an Honorary Life Membership to surviving Mosquito navigator, Frank Damerell (see report, with photographs, by FONFA)

https://fonfasite.wordpress.com/

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

I had great fun at the Sanford Seacoast Regional Fly-in in Maine on the 10th June. Very friendly people, and genuinely interested in The People's Mosquito project.

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/2018/ ... rt-fly-in/

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Just a quick note - there will be a TPM Stand at both RIAT and Flying Legends this year! So, whichever 'flavour' of aviation you like, you can be sure that we will be there, with Directors and Volunteer Staff to answer any questions about the project. Also, you might care to have a look at the following -

"The TPM board would like to extend its heartfelt thanks to the Royal New Zealand Air Force, in particular Squadron Leader Matthew Ferris, 40 Squadron RNZAF, who did everything in their power to provide transportation for our wing jigs and wing ribs in advance of RAF Cosford, in early June.

Once again that Kiwi can-do attitude was much in evidence and proof that the strong links between the RAF and RNZAF are very much alive, when we received a warm reception to our request for freight assistance.

In an incredible gesture of goodwill, 40 Squadron was willing to offer space for our palettes on a Boeing 757-2K2 prior to its departure for RAF Brize Norton earlier this month. However, a last minute operational issue required a late change of aircraft and a resulting loss of cargo capacity.

While it was disappointing to be so close to securing an incredible collaboration, we were delighted to see the RNZAF put its 757 through its paces at RAF Cosford, knowing how hard their colleagues back home had worked to help us out. It's a gesture we will long remember.

Onwards and upwards as they say. We're now making arrangements to have the freight shipped via alternative means, but hope to have these unique assets arrive in the UK in the very near future. Watch this space!"

These are the wing jigs and fixtures which were used to produce the wings for KA114, TV959, etc. They are now owned by TPM, and will be shipped from NZ to the UK, shortly.

On another front, The People's Mosquito were just made Full Members of Aviation Heritage UK. AHUK delegates voted TPM in by an overwhelming majority at their recent meeting at RAF Halton.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Shortfinals wrote:On another front, The People's Mosquito were just made Full Members of Aviation Heritage UK. AHUK delegates voted TPM in by an overwhelming majority at their recent meeting at RAF Halton.

Whoops - that's a dangerous one for this forum bearing in mind who the chairman of Aviation Heritage UK is.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Shortfinals wrote:
Onwards and upwards as they say. We're now making arrangements to have the freight shipped via alternative means, but hope to have these unique assets arrive in the UK in the very near future. Watch this space!"

These are the wing jigs and fixtures which were used to produce the wings for KA114, TV959, etc. They are now owned by TPM, and will be shipped from NZ to the UK, shortly.

Interesting post and I wondered why you had to buy and import the wing jigs. Was that necessary for certification reasons? Could the completed wing not have been shipped to the UK? I just wondered if that now means that the NZ production line, has now exhausted suitable airframes to restore :sad:

Pat

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

The NZ company that owned the jigs (and which had produced the wings for the other 'new' Mosquitoes) was winding down, and TPM was offered the chance to buy them, at an advantageous price, by the owner of that company. Needless to say, we took this opportunity to buy an already proven set of jigs with alacrity. As I mentioned, TPM almost managed to get the jigs onto a 40 Sqn, RNZAF jet headed towards the UK, but a last-minute (literally) change of aircraft meant that we lost out. The Kiwis fought very hard to help us, and we will not forget this! We will be arranging transport for this valuable acquisition shortly.

Shortfinals

Post by Shortfinals »

Berf wrote:
Shortfinals wrote:On another front, The People's Mosquito were just made Full Members of Aviation Heritage UK. AHUK delegates voted TPM in by an overwhelming majority at their recent meeting at RAF Halton.

Whoops - that's a dangerous one for this forum bearing in mind who the chairman of Aviation Heritage UK is.

I'd just like to point out the Aviation Heritage UK is the 'gold standard' organisation for aviation museums and preservation organisations in the UK, and runs the highly-acclaimed ' Stopping The Rot' Conferences (see below for example of their content),

"The John Bagley Memorial Lecture – a permanent feature of the conference - will be given by Andrew McGlynn, Head of Development at the RAF Museum, on the Dornier Do-17z recovery and fundraising. Another speaker will be Dave Morris, Curator of Aircraft at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and he will focus on the restoration of the museum’s Grumman Martlet and its French connection. Matthew Hick from the National Railway Museum and Peter Collins from Rolls Royce will focus on the Charter for Heritage Volunteering and the development of best practice. Other speakers will address conservation issues, Comet 4C weatherproofing, Comet C Mk2 recovery and a Bolingbroke restoration."

I should be very cautious how you applied the word 'dangerous' to AHUK - particularly since I served on its National Executive when it was known as BAPC !

Berf

Post by Berf »

Shortfinals wrote:
Berf wrote:

I'd just like to point out the Aviation Heritage UK is the 'gold standard' organisation for aviation museums and preservation organisations in the UK, and runs the highly-acclaimed ' Stopping The Rot' Conferences (see below for example of their content),

"The John Bagley Memorial Lecture – a permanent feature of the conference - will be given by Andrew McGlynn, Head of Development at the RAF Museum, on the Dornier Do-17z recovery and fundraising. Another speaker will be Dave Morris, Curator of Aircraft at the Fleet Air Arm Museum and he will focus on the restoration of the museum’s Grumman Martlet and its French connection. Matthew Hick from the National Railway Museum and Peter Collins from Rolls Royce will focus on the Charter for Heritage Volunteering and the development of best practice. Other speakers will address conservation issues, Comet 4C weatherproofing, Comet C Mk2 recovery and a Bolingbroke restoration."

I should be very cautious how you applied the word 'dangerous' to AHUK - particularly since I served on its National Executive when it was known as BAPC !

Let's be clear Shortfinals I did not apply the word dangerous to to the AHUK - I said dangerous one - for this forum. This bears in mind the attitude taken by some to a certain person debated ad nauseum on this forum. It has nothing to do with any of the two organisations mentioned.