The People’s Mosquito

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Brevet Cable

The People’s Mosquito

Post by Brevet Cable »

I know there was a thread about it some time ago , but I couldn't be bothered to dig it up and resurrect it.

Anyway......from today's VTST newsletter :
Congratulations go to ‘The People’s Mosquito’ team, who have exciting plans to return a De-Havilland Mosquito to the skies of Britain. They have just been awarded Registered Charity status by the Charity Commission. A statement on their website earlier this week gave these details:

The People’s Mosquito is pleased to announce that today we received confirmation from The Charity Commission that our application to become a registered charity has been approved and The People’s Mosquito Ltd. has been entered onto the Register of Charities with the Registered Charity Number 1165903.

This new status will present opportunities for the project that will enable The People’s Mosquito to take the next steps in approaching potential sponsors and seeking Heritage Lottery Funding. Although The People’s Mosquito has been a charitable organisation – a Company limited by Guarantee – since July 2012, registration has been a key target for the project to enable us to progress towards achieving our aims.

The objects of the charity are simple: the acquisition and restoration to flight of a De Havilland DH.98 Mosquito aircraft for heritage, conservation and educational purposes. The ongoing maintenance and operation of the aircraft in an airworthy condition and the display of the aircraft to the public.

Late last year, the Vulcan to the Sky Trust and The People’s Mosquito (TPM) announced an agreement for collaboration which is being officially formalised over the coming weeks. This will allow our considerable knowledge and experience to be shared for the benefit of both. The confirmation of Registered Charity status for TPM will facilitate the Vulcan to the Sky Trust in working in direct support of TPM. Anticipating a positive reaction from an enthusiastic aviation community, the drive to find funding will move forward and it is hoped that this new status will allow the project to progress in the best possible manner.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CMS

Re: The People’s Mosquito

Post by CMS »

Long way to go but this does suggest this might just result in a flying Mossie eventually. I guess the VTTS team can help with advice on fundraising and how to promote the charity. Like or loath, VTTS achieved a remarkable feat in getting the Vulcan to return to flight and the Mosquito must be a much cheaper project. Perhaps not so glamorous as the Vulcan but I think this could capture the aviation enthusiast's interest and support. Hope so!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Oh I would say it's at least as glamorous :-D

Will love to see a Mosquito in the air again - will certainly (continue to) give to this one.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

I'd give to a genuine airframe restoration - but the thought of effectively creating a replica doesn't hold the same appeal. I'm sure others will probably feel the same...

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

David Vincent

Post by David Vincent »

Let's just hope there's enough airshows left by the time they're done for them to display their efforts.
...a man too long without sleep, looking for a shortcut that he never found.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Wasn't this the project everybody on here was laughing at about 3 or 4 years ago ? well congrats to the team for the progress they have made so far :clap:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Like or loath, VTTS achieved a remarkable feat in getting the Vulcan to return to flight and the Mosquito must be a much cheaper

Didn't VTTS start from a largely intact, largely airworthy aircraft. I think they might have had a different prospect to get a Vulcan to flight if they'd started with, say the rusting hulk of a Vulcan that was parked at Blackpool for a number of years. Which would still be more advanced than The Peoples Mosquito are starting from.

Unless something dramatic has happened The Peoples Mosquito have a data plate and a bucket of rusty bolts and plan on building a completely new Mosquito from the data plate ! - apologies if this has changed and they have a Mosquito that has a chance of restoration to flight. Or are least a cockpit or a wing or an engine.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Don't know about 'everyone' or 'laughing at' ...... there were , however , a number of questions raised about their methodology & their claims to have an 'aircraft' when all they really had was a number of bits & pieces , and wasn't helped by the reaction from one or two of them when questions were raised.

Three or four years makes a big difference.....in that time they've gotten their act together , sorted out the sourcing of a suitable aircraft & got various outside organisations on-board.

Now all they need to do is kick-off the fundraising appeal ( and presumably apply to the HLF for funding ) and get both the general media and the 'spotters' community on-board , plus interacting with the various aviation fora & newsgroups.
Hopefully then we'll end up with a UK-resident flying Mosquito rather than the current wishful thinking that one of the Aussie ones or Kermit Weeks' will eventually deign to appear here.
아직도 숨어있다

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

ericbee123 wrote:Unless something dramatic has happened The Peoples Mosquito have a data plate and a bucket of rusty bolts and plan on building a completely new Mosquito from the data plate ! - apologies if this has changed and they have a Mosquito that has a chance of restoration to flight. Or are least a cockpit or a wing or an engine.

http://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/the-plan/
아직도 숨어있다

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Yeah I read the website still shows they plan on building a new aircraft from the data plate.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Which is no different from pretty much every other 'restoration' , then. :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

I know but I'm in argumentative, repetitive mood this weekend :)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:up: :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

ericbee123 wrote:Yeah I read the website still shows they plan on building a new aircraft from the data plate.

Well I for one am looking forward to hearing two more Merlins in the air as opposed to whinging that its not real or in a special scheme !!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And look on the bright side......they've already said it won't be an NF.36 !! :lol:
아직도 숨어있다

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Rampvan wrote:
ericbee123 wrote:Yeah I read the website still shows they plan on building a new aircraft from the data plate.

Well I for one am looking forward to hearing two more Merlins in the air as opposed to whinging that its not real or in a special scheme !!

Yes. Me too. But I doubt VTTS would have been able to build a Vulcan from scratch from a dataplate. It's good that someone in NZ has the jigs and moulds to build a replica with an original dataplate - sorry a rebuild, not a replica.

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

There are not inconsiderable (in relation to the viable restorations) collections of Mosquito parts/spares around, according to Wal Denholm of Avspecs. KA114 has things like ex RNZAF Merlins, and un-issued seats. There is a lot more to a restoration than the fuselage and wing structures.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

ErrolC wrote:There are not inconsiderable (in relation to the viable restorations) collections of Mosquito parts/spares around, according to Wal Denholm of Avspecs. KA114 has things like ex RNZAF Merlins, and un-issued seats. There is a lot more to a restoration than the fuselage and wing structures.

Managed a short stop at Ardmore in mid January and the progress made with the next one is amazing. It's coming together very quickly and may fly later this year or early next? (I have pictures but was asked not to put on the net, sorry) It appears, it won't be the last one through the workshops at Avspecs either :wink: . The craftsmanship of the guys there is something else. :clap: I believe there will be an article in one of the magazines shortly.......

timuss

Post by timuss »

They are working on the Biggin Hill one aren't they???
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

ErrolC

Post by ErrolC »

There are two active ones at Avspecs for US owners, Glyn Powell's one (as far as I can tell, awaiting funds), and a single announcement about the BHHH one.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

I posted this in the Vulcan thread but it's also appropriate here, a snippet from today's Vulcan newsletter:

We are delighted to confirm that ‘The People’s Mosquito’ registered charity and the Vulcan to the Sky Trust have jointly signed a Memorandum of Understanding to launch a new funding drive for the restoration programme that aims to have a De Havilland Mosquito flying in the UK within a matter of years.

This is another crucial step towards ensuring we utilise the skills and knowledge built through the Vulcan XH558 programme by the Vulcan to the Sky Trust to benefit the historic aviation community.

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

CJS

Post by CJS »

'within a matter of years' is just about as woolly as a time frame can get. Two? Five? Ten?

Edit - have now read the 558 posts. Mods - do the two need merging now I wonder?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

CJS wrote:'within a matter of years' is just about as woolly as a time frame can get. Two? Five? Ten?

Edit - have now read the 558 posts. Mods - do the two need merging now I wonder?

sorry my fault, I posted in both as it was relevant to both. Personally i'd keep them separate at least for now (but I'm not a mod -although I had 4 lambrettas about 40 years ago :smile: ).
andygolfer

Timc

Post by Timc »

No doubt with all the wing mirrors Andy?! Remember those days. :smile:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Timc wrote:No doubt with all the wing mirrors Andy?! Remember those days. :smile:

no it wasn't actually, I never got into that. I had 3 road ones and one I raced on the fields around home (I lived right out in the sticks so no neighbours to disturb). I wish I'd kept them they would be worth a small fortune now.

sorry - I've taken this right off topic now. Merge or keep separate? I still say separate myself.
andygolfer