MiG_Eater

Re: UK Heritage Aviation Trust

Post by MiG_Eater »

:snack:

Berf

Post by Berf »

Duncan Halford wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:OK, so ground running sounds good, but St. Athan? where is your income stream going to come from down there?

Hello Dave

As well as funding from Airshows, merchandise and members club we are also looking for corporate sponsorship and we hope to be able to open a small museum down there.

Well Duncan - museums up and down the country are hard pressed to stay open with fundraising for their specific needs - to look at a museum as a revenue stream is pretty hopeful to say the least. You need cash to open the museum, without supporters you will not get that nor will you get corporate sponsors if they don't see sufficient public interest. You need cash to buy merchandise then the returns on that are pretty small if any. The way you have approached things here you are not going to get much support to start and continue the things you see as revenue streams for your prime aim.

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Duncan Halford wrote:We do know how much it is going to cost to get XP out of Gatwick and to St Athan, we are attending Cosford next weekend and we are planning to launch our fund raising campaign then

Duncan. Won’t this be the 3rd or 4th fundraising campaign you’ve run? Two for a vampire and the other ‘launch’ for the Herald that turned out to be a flop? You can keep ‘launching’ your fundraising.... at some point you have to accept that it’s launched and measure the response.... which so far has been very poor.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Truthfully, I think both sides of this argument are kind of wrong.

Clearly the UKHAT guys are enthusiastic amateurs and probably not the best people to organise this, but nevertheless - this is, in my view, exactly the kind of organisation the UK needs at the moment.

It seemed utterly obvious to me that TVOC / VTTS should have ditched the Vulcan and used their expertise and traction to take on XH134 and a few other classics (Hunter, Meteor etc.) but their short sightedness meant all these aircraft fell by the way side. It's admirable that some others are trying to make something similar happen, and its a shame that their good intentions were met with such scepticism - but nevertheless... they are doing a pretty terrible job of it.

neilatter

Post by neilatter »

Ambitious aims for an organisation which by their own admission on Facebook has so far managed to raise just over £2000 from various funding campaigns. Airshows cost money to attend, museums/commercial property cost money to maintain and, from my own experience, old aircraft cost money to move, house and restore. £2000 will barely scratch the surface and will disappear in the blink of an eye.

It will certainly be interesting to see the detailed costings that are promised for Cosford (I’m not quite sure why the secretive nature of holding back these figures is considered advantageous ) and a more open approach to engaging with the aviation enthusiast community would certainly go a long way to reassuring everyone’s doubts.

While the current course of engagement of seeming to be defensive and argumentative is pursued, confidence that the project is in capable hands will always be difficult let alone trying to secure anywhere near the required amounts of funding. Some clarity over the structure both in terms of personnel and funding would definitely go a fair way in allaying the current (justified) questions.

Just my two penneth from the perspective of someone with a project....

neilatter

Post by neilatter »

So the initial target is £25,000.....

XP282

Post by XP282 »

Not a chance.... this is their 4th (?) fundraising campaign and no one has seen any progress yet.... starting to think that UKHAT is the new TVOC, only with UKHAT, no one actually donates.

I’m interested to know what the full structural survey revealed about the aircraft?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I didn't stop by the stand, as there was too much to do at the show on Sunday, but I walked past and I've got to say the UKHAT stand looked pretty sharp and professional for what it was. Banners and all.

Looked just as legitimate (though with much less merch and less crowded) as both the NavyWings and TPM tents nearby.

Not saying that I expected a dump, but y'know, credit due where credit's due - if it's about "image" (which it definitely is), then any member of the 60K crowd this weekend would have considered it just as legitimate as the the aforementioned pitches of the other organisations above. Given their very limited resources, they should be happy with that.

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

Yes I must say I was pleasantly surprised to see just how well presented the UKHAT stall at Cosford was, looked very professional so well done on that front.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

I agree, good set up, didn't stop though, not enough time on a 1 day show

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

Tommy wrote:I didn't stop by the stand, as there was too much to do at the show on Sunday, but I walked past and I've got to say the UKHAT stand looked pretty sharp and professional for what it was. Banners and all.

I think that's because - by their own admission - they've spent most of the money donated so far not on helping to save a Herald, but on a fancy tent, a few banners and some merchandise. :sad:

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

They did indeed look a smart, professional, set up. That’s a start if you’re looking to raise money, particularly from sponsorship.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Skymonster wrote:
Tommy wrote:I didn't stop by the stand, as there was too much to do at the show on Sunday, but I walked past and I've got to say the UKHAT stand looked pretty sharp and professional for what it was. Banners and all.

I think that's because - by their own admission - they've spent most of the money donated so far not on helping to save a Herald, but on a fancy tent, a few banners and some merchandise. :sad:

This seems a silly argument to hit them with though.

All similar organisations do (and should) divert some monies - especially the first couple of pounds - to get themselves off the ground and get their name and brand out there. No point in diverting everything to the Herald if funding dries up because nobody knows about them.

Only they can say about how many donations they received, or even how much of an impression they had. However, had they not spent that money on a tent, some banners, and merch, then however many thousands of the sell-out crowd at Cosford wouldn't have seen them, this thread would not have been bumped to the top.

As I said in my long December rant - merchandise and branding should be one of the very first things that is funded out of donations. In theory at least, that stuff starts the proverbial pebble that hopefully causes an avalanche.

I still don't think I could bring myself to donate a single penny to this organisation. They have, and have had, a plethora of (some embarrassingly basic) issues which should not have been issues. But, as I say, credit due where credit's due.

Edited to add -

I also want UKHAT to know that UKAR isn't the place of doom and gloom many think it is. Sure, we'll call out poor decisions. But we should, and do, give praise when people get things right.

This is the benefit of forums like this over UKHAT's own Facebook page, where its just full of lovely happy-clapper comments.

This is the real deal, the unfiltered opinions of their target market, hosted somewhere that's impartial. By no means the opinions of all, or even a majority, but those opinions that are given, are honest. None of us have a stake in UKHAT, so we can say exactly what we think.

As I've said many times before, organisations and airshows have at their hands a tremendous, (and free to them!) marketing tool in places like this.

If they are considered to have cocked-up, we (UKARians, not just staff) should call that. They (not just UKHAT) should be mature enough to take it on board. And likewise, when they get things right, we should also call that.

Frustrating as absolute hell this place must be to airshows and charities and the like. But like that honest friend who'll tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear, when praise is given, it's all the sweeter for it.

And, Insofar as UKHAT's image is concerned, they looked sharp at Cosford, and should be proud. :up:

Rebecca_1984

Post by Rebecca_1984 »

Surprised this has not been picked up on yet but UKHAT are now it seems working as a partner to restore a Sea Vampire, website seems to only give a few details, however from the official Facebook page we can find the following,

New Vampire Project for UKHAT
UKHAT, the organisation working to rescue the Handley Page Herald from an abandoned corner of Gatwick Airport, has widened its remit by entering into partnership with Jon Vivash who is an Englishman currently living in Canada to restore his Vampire T.11 XE956.
Duncan Halford, chairman of the UK Heritage Aviation Trust, sees this as a significant step forward in the charity’s declared aims. “Our aim is to provide support for the protection and preservation of classic aircraft.
This partnership with Jon is a perfect fit; it’s a demonstration that we’re not limiting our attention to just our own aircraft but working for the good of historic aviation in general.”
The Vampire, XE956, has been delivered to UKHAT’s base at St Athan in Wales, and work is commencing on cataloguing and photographing her component parts. “She’s encouragingly complete, and in pretty good condition cosmetically,” said Halford. “It’s too early yet to say whether she can fly again, but we’re optimistic.”
We asked Duncan Halford how this new project would impact the restoration of the Herald. The answer is, not at all.
“The Herald rescue is moving into a new phase. Because of her location, it’s been impossible to work on her until she could be moved from Gatwick’s airside. Thanks to the generosity and enthusiasm of the airport, it now looks as if that’s about to change. We’re hoping to get started very shortly on cleaning and preparing her for a move. If there’s anyone in striking distance of Gatwick who’s willing to volunteer fingernails and knuckle skin, now’s the time to volunteer your help.”

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Rebecca_1984 wrote:Surprised this has not been picked up on yet but UKHAT are now it seems working as a partner to restore a Sea Vampire, website seems to only give a few details, however from the official Facebook page we can find the following,

The Vampire, XE956, has been delivered to UKHAT’s base at St Athan in Wales

Interesting that they are claiming it's at "UKHAT's base at St Athan"
Why?
Because it's actually with GJD Aerotech at St Athan !
( And somewhat off topic, GJD will also be getting G-APSA, the DC-6 currently at Coventry )
I may be wrong, but as far as I know GJD St Athan don't do RtoF, they tend to do ground-runners/statics.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Using a third person voice when you're clearly talking about yourselves is just dreadful. I'm glad the aircraft owner is 'an Englishman' though :lmao:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

It's a press release, you always use the third person in press releases when talking as an organisation.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

cg_341 wrote:It's a press release, you always use the third person in press releases when talking as an organisation.

You're quite right, it does read like a press release. In my bleary eyed state this morning I had read it as just a FB post.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

"An Englishman". Amazing
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Wissam24 wrote:"An Englishman". Amazing

In fairness, that should guarantee the support of the VTTS "sport are troup's" followers... :lmao:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I'm a bit bemused by this. They're referring to him as an Englishman currently living in Canada which answers questions that might be raised about why the air frame is coming back to the UK. :dunno:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

In fairness, that should guarantee the support of the VTTS "sport are troup's" followers... :lmao:

I'm not entirely sure, on this point at least, what's wrong with referring to him as an Englishman?

He is one, and as MiG_Eater says, it's gives some context to the sentence. It's also a very common kind of phrase to use in such a context.

Let's not beat them just for the sake of it - as we all know they have provided enough genuine ammunition to make this sort of nit picking a bit pointless, don't you think?
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

CJS wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, on this point at least, what's wrong with referring to him as an Englishman?

He is one, and as MiG_Eater says, it's gives some context to the sentence. It's also a very common kind of phrase to use in such a context.

Let's not beat them just for the sake of it - as we all know they have provided enough genuine ammunition to make this sort of nit picking a bit pointless, don't you think?

I agree with your points, I also do not see the issue with the reference to him being an Englishman.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Wayne_Wondering

Post by Wayne_Wondering »

I must admit that when I first saw this thread I thought you guys were just rude about a group trying to something nice. (Found this as I was researching the Vampire)

I know the owner of the Vampire mentioned above. Top bloke, even took me flying in his Chipmunk on a few occasions. Something I could never afford to do off my own back. Genuine nice bloke.

When he got the Vampire he was dead chuffed with it. Made a few contacts and was able to find it a home inside at Saint Athan, I tried to help but my contacts are all but retired now.
The UKHAT lot approached him and he thought they were trying for a good thing.

Since then they have actually dropped the project. I was able to see the Vampire in her new home and super impressed. she was all laid out in the hanger. I went there to see Black Mike the Phantom, I actually forgot about the Vampire (don't tell Jon).
Chatted with a guy who was tinkering with it and I understand UKHAT have done nothing towards the project. GJD have done it all.

I spoke to Jon at the weekend and he is coming back in the summer to see her. He said she is on her wheels now so I'm planning to try and get over to see it myself.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that UKHAT have lived up to nothing from what I see. I follow their facebook but have since deleted them as they just don't have a clue.

I hope there are some of you who will at least support the Vampire. Such a beautiful aircraft.

Now more to the point...is anyone going to RIAT this year?

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

Unfortunately many of us see this as a losing battle. It’s hard enough to fund raise for popular, often live or airworthy aircraft. They are trying to fund raise to move a (generally) little known aircraft. The concept is admirable, but just like APRES, it isn’t needed as a wider umbrella organisation.