UK Heritage Aviation Trust

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Dan O'Hagan

Re: UK Heritage Aviation Trust

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

As the bloke behind the risible UKHAT is an egg man, shouldn’t he be restoring a Walrus?

robterry99

Post by robterry99 »

Wayne_Wondering wrote:I was able to see the Vampire in her new home and super impressed. she was all laid out in the hangar.

Wayne_Wondering wrote:Chatted with a guy who was tinkering with it and I understand UKHAT have done nothing towards the project. GJD have done it all.

I was visiting family in Cardiff over the Easter weekend and took the opportunity to pop down to the South Wales Aviation Museum on its opening Saturday. What a gem of a place... entry by donation, nice cafe, friendly volunteers, a little shop and a hangar full of interesting aircraft you can get right up to. No barriers, no interactive screens, no kids playgrounds... the RAF Museum at Hendon could learn a thing or two. :smile:

Anyway, Jon's Vampire was not only in the hangar, but it is now on its wheels and looking good. Was one of the first things I saw when I went through the door. No mention of UKHAT though, so I can only presume that they did indeed do bugger all towards its restoration. Maybe one of their esteemed spokespeople, or Jon himself, could clarify?

Not sure where this leaves UKHAT. They don't appear to own anything. They don't appear to do anything. They certainly don't have a base at St Athan. There seems to be a GoFundMe campaign in the name of Duncan Halford for that rotten Gatwick Herald (https://www.gofundme.com/re-homing-herald-gcexp), whilst the charity has another one to raise funds for an equally rotten HS125 (https://www.gofundme.com/re-homing-gatpd). Even if they were able to raise more than £60 between both campaigns, I'm not sure either aircraft would improve the collection at the South Wales Aviation Museum.

Time for them to stop dreaming and call it a day?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well I want my £60 back...
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Wayne_Wondering

Post by Wayne_Wondering »

I must jump in here again and apologize.
My previous post was out of turn and I may have said some things that should not have been public knowledge.

I will not remove my post as the information is out there now but publicly apologize to UKHAT.

I know that we may not all be supporters of UKHAT but, lets not bash them as they are at least trying to do something. And kudos to those who try.

I spoke with Jon and he is very keen to see the Vampire progress without any conflict towards UKHAT.
And to clear up any confusion and misinterpretation I can say that the project so far has not has UKHAT involvement as they were busy on the Herald and moving to the Museum. Much more than that I cannot say.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Wayne_Wondering wrote:... they were busy on the Herald and moving to the Museum.

Has this really happened? Have they, in fact, actually moved it a single inch?

Wayne_Wondering

Post by Wayne_Wondering »

Mike wrote:
Wayne_Wondering wrote:... they were busy on the Herald and moving to the Museum.

I understand they are in the fund raising stages. I believe it will go to St Athan when they move it.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Wayne_Wondering wrote:
Mike wrote:

I understand they are in the fund raising stages. I believe it will go to St Athan when they move it.

If they move it

https://www.gofundme.com/re-homing-herald-gcexp
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Seems they've given up on the Canberra & HS.125 at Bournemouth.. :wall:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Still at £60...

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

I really don't understand how this organisation achieved charity status? I recently made enquries relating to this for a organisation that I was involved with and was informed very clearly that we would have to show- and I quote- tangible proof of public benefit. Merely stating our intentions and aims were not enough, we would have to show ownership of assets (objects, items, property etc) that would be used for the public good.

In all fairness, I guess that it is quite a feat for UKHAT to achieve charitable status and they should be congratulated for it. But I'm very surprised that they made it happen.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

2 1/2years in and £60 quid donated (which,incidentally, is totally refundable to all 5 of those who donated should the organisation fold) and UKHAT is a grand total on nowhere!

Not even a blinking cockpit. Just some dreams, and we all have those dont we?

I think we can safely close the open casket on this one chaps and chapesses, and hope that those with time on the organisation, can divert their attention to helping out at other organisations on as much as a regular basis as they updated their facebook page..... oh, hang on :lmao:
Got to love Russianhardware

ZD241_VC10

Post by ZD241_VC10 »

tache3 wrote:I really don't understand how this organisation achieved charity status? I recently made enquries relating to this for a organisation that I was involved with and was informed very clearly that we would have to show- and I quote- tangible proof of public benefit. Merely stating our intentions and aims were not enough, we would have to show ownership of assets (objects, items, property etc) that would be used for the public good.

The VC10 team at Bruntingthorpe had the same when formally setting up The VC10 Preservation Group. Even following very well prepared and written documents several months of email ping-pong ensued answering Charity Commission questions and providing various evidence of all the above (and that the group had the human skills to fulfil them).

neilatter

Post by neilatter »

tache3 wrote:I really don't understand how this organisation achieved charity status? I recently made enquries relating to this for a organisation that I was involved with and was informed very clearly that we would have to show- and I quote- tangible proof of public benefit. Merely stating our intentions and aims were not enough, we would have to show ownership of assets (objects, items, property etc) that would be used for the public good.

In all fairness, I guess that it is quite a feat for UKHAT to achieve charitable status and they should be congratulated for it. But I'm very surprised that they made it happen.

As their charitable objective specifically states that they are establishing a base at St Athan (and this seems now to have been completely discounted for whatever reason, their own claim is that is is now 'too far away') I'm not sure how their status sits with the CC. Also, they have run numerous JustGiving/GoFundMe campaigns for the Herald with St Athan as the stated intended location. If people are donating or have donated in the past based on information that is now out of date or was never really the case maybe they are entitled to full refunds.

I noticed that although the Canberra/125 move from Bournemouth has been abandoned and people seem to have been offered refunds on the donation campaign they ran for this endeavour their GoFundMe campaign for the 125 specifically is still open for donations which seems a bit odd.

And in the grand tradition of APRES before them, you find that if you ask any kind of question that is slightly difficult to answer or doesn't fit with their 'plans' on their Facebook prescence, you're pretty quickly blocked or deleted from existence, which inspires confidence no end.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm relieved to read on their Facebook page that, after all the miss-starts and failures, everything is now sorted and they will have the Herald back in the air in no time. Apparently they now have an excel spreadsheet.

You couldn't make it up!

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

So digging up an old thread....

Presumably nothing has been saved and they are just annoying folks with grand ideas that fail, thus getting in the way of those that actually have a plan...

Where are you at with the Herald ?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Shhhhhhhh! dont poke the sleeping bear, its unkind! :lol:

But to be fair, TPM hasnt been heard of since October 2019 either!
Got to love Russianhardware

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Shhhhhhhh! dont poke the sleeping bear, its unkind! :lol:

But to be fair, TPM hasnt been heard of since October 2019 either!

Maybe if you were a member.... :lol:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Binbrook 01 wrote:So digging up an old thread....

Presumably nothing has been saved and they are just annoying folks with grand ideas that fail, thus getting in the way of those that actually have a plan...

Where are you at with the Herald ?

With the greatest of respect Binbrook, what's the point in digging this up again? I would argue that, in fact, they are no longer "just annoying folks with grand ideas that fail, thus getting in the way of those that actually have a plan..." - they're not doing anything at all!

As far as can be told from their website, they haven't attempted to annoy anyone for months.

11 pages is enough to show they have no chance of success, dragging it all up again seems a bit pointless if you ask me (which I realise you weren't).

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Why not, as we have newer people on here some having drifted across from other forums. :ninja:

Mike

Post by Mike »

He seems to have re-surfaced as ‘Handley Page Restorations Ltd’.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12300639

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Well at least he's calling himself a 'company' rather than his previous attempt at being a 'charity'.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

The Trust’s first set of annual accounts, up to February last year, are now more than a month overdue at the Charity Commission. That hardly inspires confidence in potential donors.
Ken

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I see from the link to the Business above, the Nature of business (SIC) is 33160 - Repair and maintenance of aircraft and spacecraft.
Maybe he's away on a trip with his green friends having some more 'probing' done? :shock:

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

From the Wrecks And Relics Facebook page-

"Hope this is OK to post otherwise admins please delete.
Would anyone in the group be interested in acquiring a fully restored de Havilland Venom DH112 FB MK1 Cockpit
Asking price is £8,000 - reasonable offers considered. Genuine enquiries only please - photos can be made available to serious bidders.

Fully intact cockpit with everything inside in its correct place. Including original and modern radios, bomb release and gun sights.
Built for Swiss Airforce in 1955 as the squadron leaders aircraft carrying the squadron insignia on the nose. Mounted on a trailer with steps, platform and guard rails allowing access to the cockpit. Ready to tow away and display. Can be towed with most mid size cars / vans.

Comes with original panels for the gun tubes and ammunition bay.Has been repainted at some stage in RAF colours. Available for shipping to customers in the UK and mainland Europe only. This item is free from explosives (FFE). This item contains no explosive elements or parts thereof".

This is an affordable and sensible way into aviation heritage. A cockpit section that is display ready is an ideal way to promote yourselves, raise funds and establish credibility. Can be easily towed and stored in a reasonable sized building/garage. This is where you should be starting, with a project like this.

NOTE- I have nothing to do with this sale. Just passing it on.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Mike wrote:
Tue 03 Mar 2020, 10:40 pm
He seems to have re-surfaced as ‘Handley Page Restorations Ltd’.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/12300639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like it Dissolved in June of last year