DH 9 flight

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Amp

DH 9 flight

Post by Amp »

It was hinted at in a Flying Legends message earlier, but worthy of its own topic. The DH 9 flew at Duxford this afternoon. When did the last one fly in the UK, or anywhere else, I guess about 1930?

BillRamsey

Re: DH 9 flight

Post by BillRamsey »

Here’s a bit more. Terrific effort by Guy, Janice and team

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/ur ... 5481470976

Don Clark

Post by Don Clark »

NFI
Last edited by Don Clark on Sat 18 Jul 2020, 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Really interesting post there, adding fuel to a question that's been asked numerous times in recent years.

As a related aside, there's some tremendous material on flying the DH-9 besides Guy's excellent book - Dodge Bailey's test flying report in Aeroplane magazine and the SVAS Propswing circular, both well worth seeking out if you haven't done so already. I also had the pleasure of attending a joint talk by Guy and Dodge, covering the restoration and test flying, in October 2019. Fascinating stuff - the magnitude of the project really is something special.

Amp

Post by Amp »

Thank you Don, great details there - it has certainly been quite a few years since the last flight!

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

I always find it fascinating how some of these early aircraft aircraft survived by earning a living in odd ways as some of the above DH9s. The Savage sky writing SE5as are a good example of finding a niche.