A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Keefy041

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Keefy041 »

So glad to see this thread has migrated across like the Duxford Diary, hoping more people will too. Keep up the good work.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

It's good seeing names who interacted with the 788 thread in The Other Place, and seemed to tail off and disappear after the first abortion of a forum update a number of months ago, back and interested in 788's story over here! :smile:

Actually rather looking forward to posting the first proper update and launching the thread properly after whatever shenanegans we get up to on Sunday; celebratory Jaffa Cakes may even have to be broken out...! :yahoo:
Meteor WS788 Restoration Project, Yorkshire Air Museum

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Blue_2 wrote:It is the very, very (very!) abridged version for those not familiar with the project, but it gives a flavour of the story so far...

...and that flavour being a chocolatety orange with sponge base flavour :lol:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

...what other flavour is there?

*apart from Theakston's Old Peculier...

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

Blue_2 wrote:It's good seeing names who interacted with the 788 thread in The Other Place, and seemed to tail off and disappear after the first abortion of a forum update a number of months ago, back and interested in 788's story over here! :smile:

Actually rather looking forward to posting the first proper update and launching the thread properly after whatever shenanegans we get up to on Sunday; celebratory Jaffa Cakes may even have to be broken out...! :yahoo:

Celebratory Jaffa Cakes? it is great to see that both the work on the old girl continues and that the proper ceremonial behaviour is being observed. :biggrin:

barumowl

Post by barumowl »

Evening all

I'm yet another asylum seeker fleeing from the incoherence of the previous site.

I was able to get up to Elvington about 18 months ago and seeing the work on the meteor was a highlight of the visit.

I'm relieved that you've found what seems to be a good home and that there are other threads I used to follow on here such as Duxford and Newark.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Here we go, for the first time in 788's new online home...

25/11/2019 Update
Another dreary grey day in Yorkshire, we seem to have had far too many of those recently. Still, it is autumn I suppose... Scott, Simon and myself were in yesterday, and our first task was to replenish ourselves with brews and bacon sarnies. This done, we headed to the hangar, where on the bench a nice surprise awaited us...
This was duly stashed and secured, and Simon and Scott then headed out to check on Scott's project, Bucc XV168, while I instigated a bit of a tidy-up. I found behind the bench another toolbox which I had retrieved from the ex's, so I decanted the contents into our main toolboxes and chucked the box away, then sorted our toolboxes a bit better
I'd forgotten just how handy my ratchet spanner set is! Simon came back in pilfering my stepladder, so I went out to find out what was occurring. Bucc XX901 had spat an intake blank, so I gave them a hand refitting it before we retired to the hangar. Here we got a bit more of a tidy done, including getting the radome sat vertical on its pallet. Much safer that way. This pic gives you an idea of the size of the radome, and the jet in general. At over 6ft, Simon ain't short!
We had decided Simon would get on with the canopy strip down, Scott would forge ahead with the riveting with my assistance when needed, and I would get on with replacing all of the duff captive nuts in the 2 main nose side access panels. So before lunch was declared we set ourselves up for these jobs. We cleared a bit of space round the canopy as someone else had dumped their crap encircling it, and set it up so Simon could start battling the billion screws holding the perspexes in the frame
I also moved the trolley acc closer to the plug, as it's due a charge. While I was at it I fitted the fire extinguisher bracket, a job which has been waiting patiently for Eloise to get round to for a while now!
So after lunch, we cracked on. Scott made friends with the intake, which is a really comfortable and ergonomic working environment...
Simon began waging war on both his own drill bit stock and the canopy screws...
and I made a start on removing the duff captive nuts from the port electrical access panel. All the ones marked with an X need to come out
...and it's always the ones which are most awkward to replace. More on that soon. Some of the drilled out ones were able to be salvaged and re-used by putting them in the vice and persuading the stump of screw left behind to unscrew, but I did have to raid the cupboard for my own rapidly dwindling stock of 2ba captives too. When you start using quantities of them, they become surprisingly dear... I had one to replace , it's the furthest left in the below pic. The only access is from that hole bottom right...
I managed... but it left it's mark!
I then had an absolute genius moment. In the tools I had sorted that morning was a magnet on a stick... I wondered if...?
Excellent! So this meant I could do all the awkward, inaccessible ones both sides and retain my skin. Win!
I was then called away by Scott to help him bang some rivets in. "Beware OF Noise" signs were deployed, and then we got on with it
Close of play, which on Winter opening hours comes around all too quickly, saw a number of holes filled by rivets
The front part of the canopy moving in its frame
And both side access panels with a full set of captives, and screwed back on the jet for now. Until our pet electrician Kev Penfold can pay us a visit we don't now need to be in these bays again, so fitting the panels means 2 less things for us to trip over!

More next time folks, including probably deploying the team Christmas Tree.....

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

Another interesting update. Thanks Blu_2

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

As with on Key, while I won't post on every update rest assured I am definitely watching and thoroughly enjoying!

Blue_2 wrote:This done, we headed to the hangar, where on the bench a nice surprise awaited us...

How many are in that thing?!
Regards, Zac Yates

LTD@TW

Post by LTD@TW »

I suspect not enough in that package....

Another ex-Key lurker (Arm Waver).
So glad to be able to keep up on here and FB still.

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Posted without comment (not connected to seller)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... -cake-147g

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

TT, that's just wrong. Very, very wrong...!

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

1.7 gm of fibre / 100 gm : that's health food !

Laurence

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

LaurenceG wrote:1.7 gm of fibre / 100 gm : that's health food !

Laurence

Blu_2 needs all the nourishment he can get so he can keep us Meteor junkies happy.

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

But I thought the food was for the aeroplane, not Blue. By the way, thanks Blue for the latest post. Remarkable stuff.

Laurence

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I'm not the only one in the team who likes a jaffa cake you know!!!

Not really got an update this week as I was busy off-site, partly with real life and partly with sorting new exciting stuff for 788 early in the new year. I can't say what just yet, but watch this space...
I did bob in to drop some stuff off and do a couple of little jobs though, and while I was at it I managed to burn myself with a soldering iron (rookie error; don't ask). Next weekend should see what passes for normal in the Naughty Corner return
In the meantime I shall try to appease you with some pics of the jets in the autumnal sun

One other bit of business, YAM have now put up the official museum Christmas tree...
Our followers from the Other Place will know, the Meteor team take pride in having a tree also. This will be deployed, complete with top quality tree topper, this coming weekend.
We'll show YAM how it should be done...!

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Blue_2 wrote: found behind the bench another toolbox which I had retrieved from the ex's, so I decanted the contents into our main toolboxes and chucked the box away, then sorted our toolboxes a bit better.

What???

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

ZRX61 wrote:
Blue_2 wrote: found behind the bench another toolbox which I had retrieved from the ex's, so I decanted the contents into our main toolboxes and chucked the box away, then sorted our toolboxes a bit better.

What???

It was truly knackered. Had to be for a Yorkshireman to skip it! :lmao:

07/12/2019 Update
A Saturday working day this weekend for the Meteor 788/Buccaneer 168 collective. Scott, Eloise and myself were in, and Scott had requested our help with a couple of jobs on 168. But first... priority number one, the Meteor Team Christmas tree!
And yes, it is decorated with old bits of 788!
Next priority, opening some much appreciated (and needed!) presents
We then got our restored trolley acc on charge. It was due a top-up anyway, and Scott thought he might need it to do his jobs on 168 if he couldn't lay his hands on a suitably juicy battery...
Then, it was out to 168. Scott wanted to getthe bomb bay swung shut, and the airbrakes closed too. Partly to keep the weather out, and partly to keep critters out. Eloise and I dragged the hyd rig round, while Scott got the cover off and opened the canopy
Unfortunately as expected the battery wasn't up to much, so we elected to take lunch and come back for another go with the trolley acc after. On our way to lunch, quite a striking sky presented itself behind a sunlit Lindy...
After lunch, we dragged the acc out. While we were doing so we stopped by the Harrier, freshly removed from the workshop after renovation and repaint and now in the hangar, to admire it...
Then it was back on with the Bucc.
Success! We got the bomb bay rolled shut, and the airbrake closed. I had also taken my compressor out, and topped the tyres up a bit. We then tidied everything back away, declared Cake O'Clock, and then cracked on with the main Meteor job of the day, continuing the effort to remove the old perspex from the canopy...
To cut a very long story short, reluctantly just about close of play tonight the perspex finally parted with its home of 55 years, and came out!

This can now go away to friends of ours to be used as a master mould for canopies for our jet and theirs. Exciting stuff!!

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

Another interesting update Blu_2 - good to see things are now moving along with the canopy.

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Hear hear. Another interesting and varied update! Thanks Graham.
Regards, Zac Yates

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Brilliant stuff as ever chap - a very Merry Christmas to you and the team from your friends at Sywell!

TT

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Well we like to keep things as interesting as we can!

TT, cheers, best to all at Sywell from us in the Naughty Corner!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Good work on the canopy. Can you tell us what is going to happen to the canopy. Seem to remember there was discussion with other interested Meteor NF14 owners. How many canopy do you expect to make ?

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Hi Blue,
Just wondering, will the master making process destroy the original canopy?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!