A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Blue_2 »

Tony... I baffled myself writing it..!

Malcolm, let's just see if it all works as advertised. It's not Lucas automotive wiring, so it stands half a chance!!
Meteor WS788 and Chipmunk WG640 Restoration Projects, Yorkshire Air Museum. Other types meddled with by request...

peter

Post by peter »

Finally got my login to work.. Good to be back over here.. Great progress chaps!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Aha, another one has got under the wire to join us! Welcome Peter!
Meteor WS788 and Chipmunk WG640 Restoration Projects, Yorkshire Air Museum. Other types meddled with by request...

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

16/03/20 non-update

... and unless I can get to the museum to retrieve some tools and bits of the jet to take home and work on it'll stay that way for a while. Due to this coronavirus doings, the museum has asked volunteers to stay away if their role is non-essential to the daily running of the site. This includes engineering. So, as I say unless I can retrieve some homework at the weekend 788 is on hold until The Great Toilet Roll Buying Madness of 2020 is done with.
Sorry folks...

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Take it seriously Blue. Some folk laugh it off as just a sort of flu. It's not.

Laurence

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Oh i know it's serious enough. Its the reactions of the selfish panic buyers that I can't understand. Brings out the very worst in people...

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Easy 'LaurenceG', you'll give your a heart-attack. We all die sometime, maybe now, maybe later? You could shut yourself away for 6 months & the first day you step-out...get hit by a Bus! Destiny is the word!
It's a traditional English habit to use 'black humour' to counter adverse situations over which we have no real control.
They say "Laughter is the best medicine" for ailments & for sure it's many more times contagious than the subject virus. :yahoo:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I do worry, as well as the many older friends I have who I'm concerned for my girlfriend has young kids. In addition both her father and mine have cardio issues so I do take the threat seriously.
But... as regular readers of the Meteor thread know, I do have quite a dark sense of humour. I'll be leaning on that rather heavily over the coming weeks I expect...
Anyway, as things stand I'll be able to bob to YAM and get some 'homework' off 788 to bring home. So all is not lost...

PeterVerney

Post by PeterVerney »

As a side issue, I went to my normal supermarket shop yesterday to find it totally cleaned out of toilet paper and kitchen roll. Kitchen roll for gawds sake, some of them must have big arses.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Yet they know not why they hoard these things; coronavirus isn't known for causing it's sufferers the squits!
Keep yourself safe Peter.

In other news I have heard YAM is closing today for the forseeable future, but our restoration manager who is on site today has retrieved the main instrument panel and a few other bits for me so at least I'll be able to get the rewire finished and the panel refurbished while this unpleasantness passes.
I never intended to refinish the main panel, but I've got the time now so I may as well..!

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Blue_2 wrote:Yet they know not why they hoard these things; coronavirus isn't known for causing it's sufferers the squits!

If it turns out that this malaria drug actually works on CV19, all those hoarders are gonna be using all the Andrex they stashed..

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

We can only hope!

In other news, after a few days of "will it, won't it" YAM has now finally decided to fully close the site for the forseeable future.

HAVAVSOC

Post by HAVAVSOC »

This is how isolation should be done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbnQqr9mFnM

Stay healthy.

http://www.havavsoc.org.uk We hope to be back sometime.........

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Blue_2 wrote:We can only hope!

In other news, after a few days of "will it, won't it" YAM has now finally decided to fully close the site for the forseeable future.

So if no other bugger shows up, you can shut yourself in the hangar & get stuck in :)

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Small problem with that Cunning Plan; I don't know the alarm code!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

As we are all in more or less lockdown, I've decided the best way to keep my hand in with all things Meteor is to carry on the scaled-down one I began a while ago! Knowing the type as we do, the attention to detail in the Airfix 1/48 scale F.8 offering is very impressive indeed.

This one will be completed as our own WL168/"WK864", in her 616 colours.

Now if the new Sword 1/48 NF.14 which we were able to offer help and advice with arrives while we are all still in solitary confinement, I will be a happy camper!

I also have here my NF photo archive which needs sorting out...

PeterVerney

Post by PeterVerney »

Thanks for that relief from staring at my 4 walls. I had forgotten just how chunky those Derwents were.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Glad to help Peter! Hope you are looking after yourself...
Speaking of staring at 4 walls, I found another Meteor related job to do yesterday. I collect original photos of Meteor NF's, at aerojumbles I can usually be found digging through boxes of old photos in the hope of finding pictures of 788 or her sisters in service. Some of these are in our photo albums at YAM, particularly ones of 788 and ones of 1ANS machines as these will come in handy as references when we go into paint. The rest have been sitting around in a big envelope; yesterday I decided to get these photos I have collected into some sort of order in a folder. There was a reasonable heap to go through...
After much photo shuffling, they are now sorted and much more presentable. Here's some choice pages from the album, which I look forward to adding to when normality returns!
The first NF, the NF.11 prototype (thanks to Paul Wright of BPAG for sending me that one) dated October 1949 and the A.W. data leaflet for the NF.11
4 engined Meteor! NF.11 test aircraft in French service, testing a pair of SFECMAS ramjets. Below that, a TT.20 of 728sqn up from HMS Falcon (Hal Far, Malta), dated October 1958
NF.11's in everyday RAF service with 85sqn, and an 11 taking part in a flypast with a Spitfire PR.XIX at Castle Bromwich, 15/09/1956
More 85sqn NF.11's, and a dishevelled 141Sqn example WM188 after a mishap at Ahlhorn. According to UKserials, WM188 was written off on 1/11/1954 after hitting the slipstream of a preceding aircraft and sideslipped into the ground on final approach. SOC 6/11/1954.
11's and 14's, including a flypast by 96sqn, again at Ahlhorn, dated 1954
More 14's in action, including North Luffenham based WS760 indulging in a spot of open topped flying!
one of 788's 152Sqn sisters, WS786/F, WS847/B having fun, and 1ANS WS840/N on static display at Leuchars BoB display, September 1963
Finally, the shot of 788 landing at Stradishall in the mid-50's we received only a couple of weeks ago, and shots of 788 at YAM in 2007 when Keith Saunders paid her a visit way before we started restoring her. Keith was a Nav instructor, and flew in 788 with 2ANS. When 2ANS closed, the Meteors departed Thorney Island in formation headed for their new home with 1ANS at Stradishall, Keith leading the formation in 788 on what turned out to be his last RAF jet flight. Keith has since returned to see the good works we are doing on 788, and remains one of our staunch supporters.
So that's the archive sorted... in addition I got the Meteor F.8 build into paint yesterday
She's getting there!

baz1962

Post by baz1962 »

Stay safe my UK aviation fanatics. Mr Blue that model is most impressive. I'm eyeing a TBF Avenger to start at some point in New Zealand's 4 week (possibly longer!) lockdown plus an A4 Skyhawk....my only issue is the local supermarket doesn't stock Model making supplies (very short sighted of them! :biggrin: )
so if I need something I may have to wait a while.
Cheers
Baz

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Cheers Baz, stay safe yourself and enjoy the A-4! Don't rush it though... or do what I have done and get a stock of victims, sorry kits, in place... Because we could be in this situation for a while...

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

03/04/2020 Update.....
As you might expect, the YAM office staff frequently visit and tour the museum site to ensure all is well. Yesterday it was Sandrine's turn to do so, and she kindly whatsapp'ed me a few shots of 788 enjoying the quiet of the hangar...
The canopy will be waiting a while before its perspex can go away for use in the process of manufacturing new transparencies
The nacelle/painting rack is empty
There should have been a new mounting frame and rudder hung up there now...
It's quite sad seeing jobs I left part done, expecting to return to them the next week...
But I hope 788 is enjoying the quiet.

AirportsEd

Post by AirportsEd »

Well, at least it's under cover and safe.
How's the Airfix version going?
Ed

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Ed, yes she's in the best possible place. It's just frustrating as there is so much I want to get on with, and the old girl is 45 miles away and I can't lay a hand on her!

The 1/48 F.8 is progressing, she's now in her 616Sqn markings
Might get the squadron letter, serials, and maybe some of the many stencils on today...

Steve Bond

Post by Steve Bond »

Very nice, looks really good. I assume the rather odd looking camouflage colours are down to your camera.

Malcolm McKay

Post by Malcolm McKay »

Oh well as people keep telling me whenever my kidney stones play up, these things will pass. Thanks for posting those pics of the old girl and eventually progress will resume. Stay well.