A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Blue_2 »

Thankyou gents. It is in equal parts stubbornness, Yorkshire bloody mindedness, and pint mugs of tea which fuelled this, admittedly very much barebones, resurrection of the thread.
Am I pissed a lot of hard work has disappeared into the ether? Yes. Will shaking my fist at the Internet help at all? No. This forum is a medium run and administered by people in their free time at no cost to us, so we can spread the word about what we are doing and our readers can keep updated with our work. Restoring 788, working on the other aircraft it is our privilege to get to work on under the YAM umbrella, its all a big adventure, and UKAR means we can bring more of you along for the ride for free.
Let's just hope they keep a better weather eye on their backup systems in future, eh?
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

hunterxf382 wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 4:32 pm
Graham, you have my sympathies on the total loss of the thread on here....

One saving grace for what I hope are many forum members who also use facebook, is the ongoing progress on your page of course, so by not putting all your eggs in one basket we still have a reference to progress which has been amazing so far!
I totally agree with both sentiments. I'm of the Facebook Generation and I like keeping track of projects that way, but I also still frequent all the same forums.

Graham, my heart sank when I saw your first post-crash post. I'm so glad you shared the (almost) year-end roundup and this week's update too - they always say it's best to get straight back in the cockpit etc. I feel incredibly thankful you take the time to keep us informed of both WK640 and WS788's progress in all the ways you do. It means a lot to see you continue where you left off.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

At least we can more or less carry on where we left off. There is a lot of work the diet version of the year's events skipped over, but it covered the main stuff and gave us the continuity in the thread for it to hopefully still make sense!
We'll just keep doing what we do, and take the time to bring you lot along for the ride!
Shack WR963, Coventry

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Excellent news Graham, and much appreciated putting together that catch-up post too!

Now, did I hear you say you'll be offering rides in 788 once she's up and running...lol?

Gotta be worth a packet or three of Jaffa's - count me in ;)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Blue_2 wrote:
Wed 24 Nov 2021, 9:34 pm
We'll just keep doing what we do, and take the time to bring you lot along for the ride!
*standing ovation*
Zac in NZ

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

hunterxf382 wrote:
Wed 24 Nov 2021, 10:01 pm

Now, did I hear you say you'll be offering rides in 788 once she's up and running...lol?

Gotta be worth a packet or three of Jaffa's - count me in ;)
If and when that were to happen, it'll cost you just a bit more than that Pete!!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I suppose this isn't a Meteor update as such. Well it kind of is, as we acquired parts for all our projects, but it was mainly a jolly I'll admit. As some of you may or may not know, I am very proud to be associated with a very special 4-engined ex-RAF "heavy", Shackleton WR963 at Coventry. My better half and I travelled down there on Saturday as it had been a couple of months since I had last been, and I needed some practice on the loud levers for the night run in a couple of week's time apparently, at least that was my excuse! So we braved the high winds and snow early Saturday morning and headed south to the former Armstrong Whitworth factory at Baginton, birthplace of our WS788 and all the Meteor NF series, and now (but for not much longer if Jaguar Land Rover get their way) Coventry Airport. On arrival it was, to say the least, cold and bleak as airfields in autumn/winter tend to be!
It's always a privilege to be entrusted with the P1 seat in this wonderful old machine. Here I am with Rich Woods, one of my best mates, sometimes Meteor fettler, mainstay of the effort to keep 63 alive, engineer and absolute walking encyclopedia on the Shackleton. If he doesn't know it about the Shack it's not worth knowing!
While getting the aircraft prepped, fuelled and ready to go, hot coffee was a MUST! It was Baltic out on that wing fuelling her up.
We duly ran after the other ex-maritime patrol aircraft on site, Nimrod XV232, carried out her engine runs. The wind wasn't from the best direction for running 63, as it was from behind and to starboard, but we got all 4 going. If you want to see the run as filmed by one of our visitors, take a look here...

As you can see the port engines were reluctant to go, as we were trying to not over-prime the engines given the wind direction. They did pick up and run happily though!
After running all 4 successfully there was a coolant leak on no.4 engine, a hydraulic issue and a sticking landing lamp to look at, but the old girl isn't doing too badly for her age.
As well as a top day with a great bunch of people working a fantastic aircraft, we came away with goodies for our projects as I mentioned at the beginning of this update-let. For 168, the F.8, a replacement nosewheel damper charging valve...
I was going to re-pressurise 168's damper last weekend but I discovered the core was missing from the valve. So, I'll try swap the valve and see if she'll oil up at the weekend as 168 is still sniffing the ground in the same way 788 used to. Most undiginfied for an old lady! I also added a spare DI to the stash, and an RPM gauge for the Chipmunk
The RPM gauge came out of 63; last time I was down the RPM gauge for no.4 engine was u/s. I had a set of 4 correct and known good ones, so as we like to do the right thing and cooperate with other teams I took them down with me on my May visit. In the interim, Louis managed to get the gauge swapped so the duff unit came back with me on Saturday as it's still perfectly good for a static display such as the Chippy. Previous to Saturday, the last time I had clapped eyes on the RPM gauge now gracing 63's instrument panel was when it was in the Lincoln panel in my front room!
If you want to see 63 'doing her thing', we are running her for a nightshoot with Threshold aero in a couple of week's time. As to 788 and friends, normal service will be resumed back at YAM at the weekend. If you can call what we do normal, that is...!
Last edited by Blue_2 on Thu 02 Dec 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shack WR963, Coventry

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Thanks for sharing, Graham! I've been following '963 for a while and still want to build the Airfix kit of her.

I also need to get a Meteor NF.14, can't quite remember why...
Zac in NZ

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

The airfix kit is nice, brilliantly detailed inside... none of which you can see when it's buttoned up!
As for the NF.14, push the boat out and get the Sword 1/48 one. It's well worth it, trust me.
Shack WR963, Coventry

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Very nice pictures Graham. You don't need an excuse for posting them! Thread creep like this is very welcome. Brings back happy memories for me of my time in the ATC when I managed to get in a Shackleton trip from Kinloss (in addition to the 11 in Upwood Lincolns. Large and loud. Image

Laurence

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I have to say I'm thoroughly jealous of your trips Laurence!
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

A change is always good as rest and it's always good to read news regarding '963, particularly to see her running but as usual, I do have a couple of questions.

It could be old age and my memory playing tricks but didn't she taxi around the airfield, under her own power, a few years ago and if so, is she still capable on taxi-ing?
How much fuel would be used during one of these engine runs?

Ok, strictly 3 questions but still a great update :grinning:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Hi Tony,

WR963 has taxied a good number of times in the last ten years, the last being January 2017. We're overdue doing it again, but have a few things needing sorting out first such as a new radio thanks to the CAA changing all the frequency spacings. Mechanically, if the chocks had been pulled and Blue_2 not had the brakes set, she would happily trundle around.

Fuel burn - work on roughly a gallon per minute, per engine.

Regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Thanks Rich, having told SWTSSBO I wasn't senile just yet, maybe she'll believe me, when I show her this post :grinning:

As for the fuel comsumption, it seems that '963 is more economical that my car :grinning:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Blue_2 wrote:
Wed 01 Dec 2021, 6:00 am
The airfix kit is nice, brilliantly detailed inside... none of which you can see when it's buttoned up!
So I keep hearing! Rather frustrating - would be nice if they sold a cheaper version without the invisible bits!
Blue_2 wrote:
Wed 01 Dec 2021, 6:00 am
As for the NF.14, push the boat out and get the Sword 1/48 one. It's well worth it, trust me.
The team restoring Spitfire PR.IV AA810 worked with Sword to produce a special boxing of a Spitfire kit with decals for that airframe with, I think, some of the profits going toward the restoration and connected endeavours. Perhaps a similar arrangement could be made for '788?
Zac in NZ

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

All I can say is Sword have provided both the NF and NF(T) windscreen in the kit, with an eye to future releases...
Shack WR963, Coventry

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Blue_2 wrote:
Sat 04 Dec 2021, 7:10 am
All I can say is Sword have provided both the NF and NF(T) windscreen in the kit, with an eye to future releases...
I shall watch with bated breath, and save my pennies.
Zac in NZ

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Will there be a photo etch Jaffa cake set and a scale resin Meteor Molester figure?

TT

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Sun 05 Dec 2021, 9:53 am
Will there be a photo etch Jaffa cake set and a scale resin Meteor Molester figure?

TT
It better. I'm not sure my scratchbuilding skills are up to the challenge!
Zac in NZ

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

The scale Jaffa Cakes could be a tad tricky... but not insurmountable! The kit they sent me as a thankyou I did as 788, scratch building the Rebecca gear and aerials, and using the thoughtfully provided correct windscreen. After the forum's headache the other week, you won't have to scroll back too far to find that build either!
I suppose seeing as I've got home from work early, it must be time for.....
06/12/2021 Update!
Yes, it was our weekend at the grindstone again. Saturday saw 4 of us in. Myself, Kane, Laurence returned after a few weeks off, and our newest recruit Monty. He is a current RNZAF engineering officer in the UK for a year studying at York, came to the museum a few weeks ago representing the NZ Air Force at our Remembrance Day event and decided he wanted to get stuck in while he was in the UK! He's more used to P-3 avionics than the foibles of Meteors, but he is learning our ways and fits in well in the Naughty Corner. So, to business. First job of the day... this. Again.
I had acquired a new charging valve for the nose leg damper on the F.8, in the hope of juicing the leg up and getting the jet sitting correctly in the same way as we did 788. Valve fitted, jet jacked up, hyd pack attached.... nothing. After much head scratching and investigation it appears she is suffering an issue which over the years has blighted a number of Meteors in preservation, siezed joints. So, we put the jet back down on the ground and decided freeing the nose leg off is a job for when the warm weather comes. It needs doing too, as both the nose and main leg castings are known to crack where the pivot pin goes through if enough stress is put on them, but it can go on the back burner for now. We then headed for the Gannet, added some more OM15 in the hope of getting the canopy to pump open... Nope. With a string of failures behind us, we called an end to trying to fix stuff and instead decided to deploy... The Meteor team Christmas tree! Insert "how many aircraft engineers does it take to build a Christmas tree" joke here...
Monty took great delight in fluffing out the top section of the tree, see how proud of his work he looks!
Yes, this is exactly what he flew half way round the world for!!
Like the well drilled team we are (!) we soon had the tree up, and decorated appropriately with tinsel and bits of aircraft
Yes, the topper is seeing another year's service, after being denied pride of place on the tree last year due to whichever number lockdown it was
A highly skilled team available to decorate your tree to a professional standard!
L-R: an out of work highwayman, a lost Russian, an even more lost tame Kiwi, and Last of the Summer Wine's Compo.
Having managed to get the tree done without failing at it, the first thing that had actually gone right that day, we felt confident enough to try and brave having lunch without one of us suffering a fatal injury in the process. Then we broke off to go to various different jobs. I had acquired a damaged aileron gag, which I set Laurence the task of restoring back to usefulness. Kane was pointed at the rear instrument panel out of the Chipmunk, a couple of recently acquired instruments, and told "go fix", and Monty and I decided to do a bit of paintwork on the F.8's nosewheel doors. The side doors were a bit patchwork, having had areas not painted when the metal plates holding the doors shut were still fitted, but the front door concerned us as it seemed it had only ever received the thinnest of topcoats and this had now worn through to primer and even bare metal in places. Seeing as 168 is wintering outdoors, I decided the door needed the protection from the elements of some more paint, in addition it gave me chance to assess and train Monty in the noble art of roller waving. Something I envisage we will all be doing more of when the good weather returns! Here is the door after I had masked the "C" off.
It may look like we have already rubbed it back... but at this point we had done nil prep on it and that's why we decided it needed painting sharpish! If you look you can also see the ghost of the letter "A" which she wore as part of her previous colour scheme, "A" of 111 Sqn RAF. Prior to donning the WK864/616 Sqn identity and colour scheme for gate duties at RAF Finningley, she was displayed at St. Athan wearing the 111 Sqn scheme which is actually correct for WL168, and the scheme I feel she should revert to next time she's under the roller. I'd rather see complete airframes with their own provenance in the scheme they actually wore in service, rather than donning another airframe's clothes! Probably controversial, but each to their own I guess.
So anyway, I prepped the side doors and then the front door. Monty had spotted corrosion on the inner framing of the door so we rubbed that back to good metal too. We didn't have time to go into depth on the innards of the door, and it does need some more TLC, but this will see her right over this winter. Then, I applied the first coat to the side doors to demonstrate the technique, then let Monty loose on the front door!
After 2 coats (even in low temperatures the paint is so good to work it dries enough for a second coat in minutes) everything looked fine...
...so we went for a thaw out and sneaky brew in the crewroom while Laurence and Kane slaved away in the hangar with their tasks!
After a brew I carefully unpicked the masking off the "C" on the door...
...perfect! As you can see there was just the masking round the doors to remove now.
And that was job done
Very happy with how it's come out, and pleased 168 is a bit better protected against the Yorkshire winter now
The "C" itself is a vinyl, and has at some point suffered a couple of nicks and scratches, but you have to be quite close up to notice them
The nose doors do stand out better in the (already) fading afternoon light
Also standing out, the Silver Star renovation continues, with the welcome news that the undercarriage legs are back on her!
This is great news, as I have my eyes on those trestles... after the success refurbishing the nose leg we have settled on our main winter project, and I'm going to need them!
So that pretty much saw Saturday off. Sunday I was in by myself, and as I have done my heel some damage and therefore walking and standing are not my favourite pastimes right now, I decided a pottering about day was on the cards. First job was to mask off and then lacquer the data plates on the new nose leg
You may recall these had previously had paint blathered over them the last time the leg was painted, and that I very slowly and carefully rubbed that paint off with fine sandpaper to reveal the original lettering. Well now I decided to give the placards a couple of coats of lacquer to help preserve them. While I was at it I fitted an RBF tag to the nosewheel ground lock
The flag on it may not look the best, but when it's the only one you've got it suddenly becomes the best. At some point I'll find another correct red triangular pennant flag for it, I'm sure. I then retreated to my stool at the workbench, where I continued the good work Kane had started. We have recently acquired an oil pressure gauge for Chipmunk WK640's rear cockpit. In addition last week I returned from Coventry with a duff RPM gauge to fit to this panel, so on Saturday he had begun the fitting process for these. The panel is a replica, and not the best one I have ever seen if I'm honest, but by the time we are done with it it'll look perfect in 640! The problems are, firstly where the previous owner hadn't acquired the instruments he had guessed at the hole size, secondly these holes don't have the extra holes for attaching the instruments, and thirdly where he has fitted wrong "hole filler" instruments, we have the wrong fitting holes to contend with! So the process of fettling the holes in the panel to fit the instrument bezels, then marking up and drilling the instrument attachment holes without straying into previous incorrect attachment holes, actually took a good chunk of the day! I got there in the end though
I need to find and fit the ASI I have somewhere for this panel, and I still need to source a DI for it, but it's getting there now! For a spot of fresh air I took a hobble out to the F.8 to fit the aileron gag Laurence had repaired the day before...
And of course check on our paintwork in actual (brief) sunny daylight for a change!
After lunch, I found another bench job to do, continuing the work of manufacturing new ally aileron hinge covers for 788. If you recall when we did the aileron refurb, the original hinge covers were steel, and we decided to replace them with new build aircraft alloy ones. I never did finish the port side ones, and the aileron keeps looking at me vaguely accusingly for showing aileron favouritism as the starboard side has a complete shiny brand new set! So, I got on and made up a new port outer upper cover. Here's the old one...
You can see why we are replacing them...
And after a gentle sitting at the bench fettling session, the newly manufactured port outer upper cover in position!
There's still a couple to do; might task Laurence and Kane with them as a learning exercise. The port centre upper cover you see in the picture below is a NOS steel item. I'm torn between using it as it's original but brand spanky new, or just making another alloy one and removing the threat of dissimilar metal corrosion and rust based nastiness from the equation more or less permanently. I really can't decide which is the best path.
During the very last dregs of the afternoon I removed the masking from the nose leg, having given the placards 3 coats of lacquer
I'm hoping that will protect the placards and the original paintwork on them. I also had a quick tidy of the cockpit. It still needs the front seat refitting; while the hydraulics are undergoing work the rear seat needs to stay out though as the reservoir, accumulators etc. all live behind it and osmosis of myself through the seat back to get to them is not an option!
I also made yet another attempt to stop my team (and me) walking into the pitot mast, with cunning deployment of an extra long RBF flag and some lockwire
Probably futile, but it shows willing at least! Finally, time to put the old girls to bed and call it a (short) day

This photo across site was taken at about 1545, and shows just how early the sun disappears round these parts at this time of year. Not a big fan...
Roll on Spring!
Shack WR963, Coventry

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Talk about a bumper update! Thanks Graham, lots to take in and enjoy.
Blue_2 wrote:
Mon 06 Dec 2021, 5:14 pm
(...)and our newest recruit Monty. He is a current RNZAF engineering officer in the UK for a year studying at York, came to the museum a few weeks ago representing the NZ Air Force at our Remembrance Day event and decided he wanted to get stuck in while he was in the UK! He's more used to P-3 avionics than the foibles of Meteors, but he is learning our ways and fits in well in the Naughty Corner.
How exciting to see not just a Kiwi but a serving member of the RNZAF helping out on WS788. Also, my wife's cousin is also a P-3 tech! Could you please ask if Monty has come across Simon Gubb in his travels at Whenuapai?
Zac in NZ

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I shall of course ask him. Small world eh?!
Shack WR963, Coventry

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Nah, there's only half a dozen people who live there - K5054NZ, Peter Jackson, the Flight of the Concords, the Wingnut people and that bloke that directed JoJo Rabbit!

Bound to know each other :D

Oooh and Dame Kiri Di Kanawa :)

(Sorry 5054! :)

TT

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Tue 07 Dec 2021, 12:43 pm
Nah, there's only half a dozen people who live there - K5054NZ, Peter Jackson, the Flight of the Concords, the Wingnut people and that bloke that directed JoJo Rabbit!

Bound to know each other :D

Oooh and Dame Kiri Di Kanawa :)

(Sorry 5054! :)

TT
:rofl: :rofl: It does feel like that sometimes!!
Zac in NZ