A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Blue_2 »

Glad you've caught up with us Baz! Finding bonus components is always a good thing...

Sadly, the museum has decided not to reopen after Lockdown Ver 2.0, so as far as work on 788 herself goes, that's us done for this year. It's not exactly been a stellar year, but we've done what we can. There may be minor updates if I get my replica NF panel to build up soon, but otherwise that's it.
Thankyou all for sticking with us through this, your continued interest and support really does mean so much to us. In a year that has had us all locked away for a lot of time, completely scuppered the plans of everyone and in every walk of life including our aircraft's restoration, and dealt me a particularly harsh lesson about the extremes of character of people we find in this hobby from the most spiteful through to the most generous, the fact that so many people read this (and the Facebook page) and support us from around the globe is a huge lift.

Due to not reopening this year, the Meteor Team Christmas tree has not been able to assume its now traditional place by the jet for all our visitors to wonder and marvel at (as seen here last year)...
but there was no way Plane Richie's great rendition of 788 wasn't going to grace the top of a tree this year. So... after a bit of Blue Peter-esque crafting involving card, glue, and sticky back plastic...
She graces the top of my own tree!

I hope this festive season is as good as it can be for you all, stay safe, I'll be back with a review of the year (for what it's worth..) later in the month, maybe news of my NF replica panel/travelling exhibit project, and if all goes well prior to that I might just be able to bring you news of a smaller, brightly coloured new arrival to the Naughty Corner, our little side project... :wink:
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

Sad that the year ends a bit flat, but it's a strange year overall. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures and those of 788 and trust that together you'll make even more progress in 2021. All the best and thanks for a vintage harvest. Cheers, Laurence

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Many thanks for all the updates, info and fun through the year mate. She’ll be patiently waiting til you can get back on the tools (after the first hour trying to remember where you left them :) )

Happy Xmas to you and the team from all at Sywell

TT

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Just to add my appreciation and thanks for your updates in what has been a taxing year for everyone!

It great that your interest and desire for '788 remains undiminished, where maybe, given the events of this year, it would be understandable if this had waned!

Therefore. many thanks, more power to your elbow and may the new year provide you with extra skin, with which to battle those inaccessible areas and hopefully Foxy has been given an amnesty and released from his confinement, for the duration of the closure, I'd hate to think that he be on his own, at this time of year.

Tony
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Graham, your updates throughout 2020 have been very much appreciated, as well as the effort put in to continue work as and when able during this difficult year. The humour still shone through with the escapades of a certain mascot (incidentally where is it spending Christmas then if the Museum has shut?)

I'm sure you won't remain idle for long even if you can't get on site. That panel will no doubt benefit from more time spent on it!

Now that you've shown your Meteor Christmas Tree topper - it's given me an idea that won't go down well with the better half here lol ;)

Looking forward to the year's round up post too!
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

AirportsEd

Post by AirportsEd »

I'm amazed how much you have actually achieved despite the crazy circumstances of this year, so, well done!
I've really enjoyed reading it all...and next year can only be better!

andrewclark

Post by andrewclark »

Hi Graham. I've finally got round to signing up to this site - purely so that I can say 'thank you' for doing what you do. Both the work you do on the aircraft, and the progress reports you put on here, are both truly great. I've been reading your blog for a year or two now, so I reckoned it was time for me to chip in with a bit of encouragement. Please keep on doing what you can, when you can. I do hope, when this horrible virus has been put in its place, I will be able to visit you. Rest assured, I will not be alone, but armed with Jaffa Cakes! Although I could never give you enough to adequately reward you for the enjoyment that you have given to me and, I know, a great many others. Take care, and thanks again. Andrew

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Where is the Yorkshire Jet Groper? Is he in a Jaffa cake based coma somewhere?

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Sun 06 Dec 2020, 10:13 pm
Where is the Yorkshire Jet Groper? Is he in a Jaffa cake based coma somewhere?
Calm yourself TT, I'm here! I think a jaffa cake induced coma would have been by far the best way to spend 2020... I've had a busy weekend, with real life stuff to do, and preparations for christmas, or the "Great Seasonal Unpleasantness" as the late and much missed Steve Hague used to call it, to be made. Also, maybe just a bit of Meteor component tinkering...!
Anyhoo, thanks for all your kind words chaps. I'm glad we have the back up and support from you lot; it's why we do what we do. That, and it keeps us out of the pub (ah yes pubs, anyone remember those...?!). I hope next year we can get away from living in fear of a virus, and get back to what we each call our normal lives. For myself, that'll be Sundays working in the hangar with good friends on aircraft I have a lot of love and enthusiasm for, hurling banter, rivets, and jaffa cakes around and telling our visitors about the jet, what we are doing, and why, all without having to hide behind a mask, then retiring to the pub for a few well earned beers. I cannot wait for that normal to be normal once more. Granted we did get a few months in summer where we had some semblance of that, but I (and I suspect everyone reading this) have had enough of my life being put more or less on pause because allegedly some bloke in China fancied his bat done rare.
Back to aircraft stuff, and last night I finally had a few moments to finish fettling the gyro compass I acquired for the NF instrument panel build. St Bruce of GB Air Spares saw me right with a bundle of instruments for this, among them was this gyro compass which, sadly, the damp had got to so its innards were seized. After a bit of surgery yesterday the innards are all now cleaned, oiled where necessary, freed off, so I put it all back together again and gave it a good clean up and it's turned out rather nice!

After a stock take, I'm 2 instruments short, an undercarriage indicator and one of the fuel gauges. I know I have a fuel gauge lying around at YAM, but if anyone has a U/C indicator lying around which they are getting fed up of being a dust catcher.......!

Also... the little friend for 788 I have acquired should be arriving next weekend, all being well. So, there's something for you all to look forward to seeing!

Edit: Poor Foxy Dave will I fear be spending christmas alone in the cockpit of XV250. Perhaps had his keepers played the game and bent to our demands and not gone all "Iranian Embassy" and staged futile rescue efforts, he would be enjoying a traditional festive season with his loved ones.......!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

So that's a whole year's worth of updates gone missing in the forum maintenance is it? Great...
Don't worry UKAR, they only take a couple of hours of my (very limited) spare time each to compile. :rolling_eyes:
Shack WR963, Coventry

12jaguar

Post by 12jaguar »

Blue_2 wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 5:31 am
So that's a whole year's worth of updates gone missing in the forum maintenance is it? Great...
Don't worry UKAR, they only take a couple of hours of my (very limited) spare time each to compile. :rolling_eyes:
Bl@@dy hell Blue, how annoying :frowning2:

Sorry to hear that

John

pb643

Post by pb643 »

12jaguar wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 8:33 am
Blue_2 wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 5:31 am
Bl@@dy hell Blue, how annoying :frowning2:

Sorry to hear that

John
Graham,

Please continue with the updates, even if it means there is a gap of 12 months. They make fascinating reading for all of us who do nothing comparable.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you.

Phil

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

That's awful news. Whatever happened?
Laurence

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Stop moaning and get on with it boy.

That's you told Lol
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Archer

Post by Archer »

LaurenceG wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 9:33 am
That's awful news. Whatever happened?
Laurence
See here: viewtopic.php?t=86722
It is a real shame but once you're in a situation such as this, I guess there is nothing you can do about it. It shows how fickle our digital age can be at times.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Thanks for the sympathy Andy!!

Well I'll maybe do my traditional "round up of the year" post a little early, briefly covering this year's activity, then plod on. And hope the Internet fairies don't knacker things up again!!

Annoyingly the Chipmunk project thread seems to have gone completely; I really can't be arsed to start again with that so I'll just incorporate it here.
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

A real kick in the teeth and loss, for both contributors and viewers!

I fully understand you point Graham and hope that you do find the energy to continue, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would miss the updates on both the Meatbox and the Chippie!

Head up, dear boy, tomorrows' another day! :slight_smile:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Graham, you have my sympathies on the total loss of the thread on here.... you did come to mind when I first logged back on to find 2021 had all but vanished :(

One saving grace for what I hope are many forum members who also use facebook, is the ongoing progress on your page of course, so by not putting all your eggs in one basket we still have a reference to progress which has been amazing so far!

Or look at it another way - wind back the clock to Dec 2020, and then then right now, and it looks like the team had one hell of a furious weekend's work completed within the shrunken timeline ;)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057508327660
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Just a test post before I do anything else...
Edit: that's good, so I can bring stuff in here still from my old photo hosting service! Seeing as the Chippy will be covered in this thread too now, I thought a picture of her being hauled in was appropriate. I'm working on a "round up of the year" type post, albeit a month or so early, to fill the HUUUUUUUGE gap the colossal arsing-up of the forum has left in the project thread. Bear with, dear reader...
Shack WR963, Coventry

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

(Month Early) Meteor WS788 Project round up of 2021
Well, to say it's been a funny old year would be a bit of an understatement, wouldn't it? We began the year in Lockdown (2nd one? 3rd one? I don't know...) so not much was happening apart from homework.
January Saw some very special homework in the form of the Flight Engineers panels out of our Halifax delivered to me for a full refurb and fitting of new placards and excellent replica 3d printed gauges
It also saw me complete my own "travelling exhibit" Meteor NF instrument panel
...shame it's not really had chance to travel far this year. Still, work progressed on the Hali FE's upper panel and a few other bits at home.
February was a non-event, as was most of March. Until right at the very end, when we could come out to play once more!
We were mainly still doing stuff at home though, I was by now plugging my way through the Hali FE's lower panel
Into April, and while the Hali panel was still under way at home...
We could finally come back and work in the hangar properly with some seblance of normality once more! initially this meant carrying on with the Halifax stuff, as well as sprucing up the FE's panels out of the Hali cockpit display we have
...before refitting them in the Hali cockpit section

But we did give 788 a thorough looking over, partly to remind ourselves where we had got to and partly to make sure all was well after her long winter break!
May saw us getting ready to reopen to the public, so it was all hands to the pumps to get the hangar reorganised and covid-compliant yet give it a fresh new look

We also were asked to get the Lightning's cockpit open as this had not been done for a while. This jet has featured on the 788 team's job list a few times this year!

Of course, we did have to power 788 up, to make sure everything we had got working still worked...
Bits started arriving for the Chippy, WK640, too...

But this was the moment we knew we were back in business!
My 40th birthday also fell at the end of May; my better half couldn't have organised a better cake!
June now, and we made a start on looking at the hydraulic systems on 788, namely the air brake and flap systems. The access panels on these had not been lifted for decades, so with fear and trepidation we ventured in...
Actually it wasn't so bad. All the major components are still there and in good order, and as a bonus we had some NOS examples of some of the access panels in stock ready to fit!
We also did some fabrication work, making a new canopy rail mechanism access panel for the port front side as the original was just too far gone to reuse

With the addition of Laurence and Kane to the team, we were able to start doing this sort of thing, getting on with multiple jobs at once. We could also start getting panels prepped, primed and painted as the weather was favourable now. Laurence learned the noble art of panel manufacture...
While Kane restored the second panel we acquired for WK640
More and more panels started turning High Speed Silver...
July saw another milestone reached on the path to normality; the return of the institution that is the Newark Aerojumble! A fruitful day out for both 788...
and 640

We also got 'Minion', my better half's daughter, involved in the jet during her Summer break by doing some of the stencilling at home on some of 788's access panels
A time consuming but very worthwhile job. And certainly one worth subcontracting out to minions!! I know a lot of people use vinyls these days, like a lot of people spray silver and don't believe it can be rolled, but we are doing it the old, time consuming way it would have been done in service. To me it just looks more 'right'.
We also had goodies arrive, in the shape of intake/jetpipe covers (here modelled by WL168)
and an absolutely minty brand new NF canopy cover!
The silver paint-athon continued
And we stencilled and refitted the canopy rail access panels, in readiness for a very special visitor
Keith Saunders flew his last RAF jet flight in WS788, and is always a very welcome visitor. He spent a great day with us, catching up on our progress on 788 and telling us some great stories of his time as a Meteor nav and instructor
We had both cockpits powered up and lit, with the instrument gyros humming away too. Keith was in his element, and as he said to me it was something he thought he would never get to experience again.
It's as much about the people as it is about the airframe for us.
there was still time to throw yet more silver paint around though!

August began with yet more panel prep, priming and painting, this time 788's original port wing leading edge after repairing the damaged cabin filter system
Much work later, and that's 2 shiny silver leading edge sections for 788
Other smaller bits were completed too, such as the screenwash tank
And yet more access panels!
I also did a job that had been bugging me for a while, opening up WL168's nosewheel doors as they should be
As well as donating to her 788's old battery bay door, to keep the weather and critters out of her battery bay.
There was also some black paint thrown around for a change, on stencils
...and on the 2 access panels which encroach on the anti glare panel
All too soon it would be back to good old silver though, with the windscreen frame getting a spruce up
Our focus then shifted to the other end of the jet with it being ideal painting weather. We began to make one of the most striking changes to 788's appearance this year
getting the tail end in paint!
We then worked forward, prepping and priming...
...and then painting the next section of fuselage forward!
This really has made the rear end of the jet look so much better. I can't wait to get the dayglo banding on there too, and then she can have her serial back on. Most importantly, it covers what had been the bare metal of the fuselage. The canopy chassis frame also got a lot of tlc this month...
At the end of August, aware we were about to move out of what the Yorkshire weather allows as a painting season, we then began looking towards mechanical work once more. Namely, removing the extended nose section to allow restoration of the steel nosewheel mounting frame, innards of the nose section, and replacement of the nose leg. Given this section will not have been off since the aircraft was a flyer in the 60's, this was going to be a challenge. So in August we started the process of working penetrating oil into all the bits of the aircraft which we needed to come apart, and routing the wiring looms back through the nose to the bulkhead
We also demounted the steel ballast off the nose section
This had been used to replace the radar set when she was converted to an NF(T).14. We also freed the nosewheel doors, as they were seized in position. Then, after removing all the retaining bolts, we trestled the nose and began the long process of convincing it to come off! We did get to throw paint at stuff too though
And Arno did a beautiful job of refurbing our cockpit fire extinguisher!
September saw the slow and steady job of persuading the nose off continuing, millimeters at a time
It also saw more paint being applied to parts off the jet

And I spent a day killing the rust in the port intake mounting ring
Sadly the steel section in the startboard intake is too far gone and will have to be replaced. We also dismantled our replacement nose leg ready for overhaul...
Which was a long drawn out process
October saw arrivals for 640
and the nose leg overhaul continuing
I also got to see the panels I had overhauled for the Halifax back in their rightful place, and powered up too
October 9th was D-day for the extended nose section; it WAS coming off!
After a LOT of blood, sweat and swear words, Scott and I prevailed
We then rubbed back and repainted the frame and the front bulkhead
Before 'simply removing' the old leg ready to receive the new one
sounds easy if you say or type it really quickly! We even found time to give our trolley acc and some of our other GSE a spruce up.
The rest of the month was devoted to painting the bits to go back on the nose leg, dressing and setting up the new nose leg, painting in the rest of the anti glare panel...
...and getting 788 ready to move. The hangar needed reconfiguring for winter, with several extra aircraft coming indoors, so 788 had to be moveable. As part of this we dressed the jet, fitting the majority of her panels back on and moving as much of our gear out into the container as possible over a very hard weekend's graft
November saw the hangar reshuffle, and 788's first venture outdoors for quite a while...
After a few hours returning indoors, on more or less the same spot just rotated towards the door
We then spent a few days helping to get the hangar tweaked and visitor friendly, while getting acclimatised to our reconfigured corner and trying to find where the hell everything was!

Once this was done, we decided to get the hydraulic pack out, jack the jet up again, and after a day's work we got the nose leg hydraulics working!

Very happy with that. We also charged the nose leg damper so for the first time the jet actually sits right
So there you have it. A potted history of (most of) the 788 team's year... I suppose you'll want to know what we got up to this last weekend now, won't you? Never bl**dy satisfied!!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

...well now I've had some lunch I'll tell you!

23/11/2021 Update
I suppose the Non-Meteor WS788 project update would be more accurate for this week's update, as I have barely touched her. We had some jobs to do for the museum to ready some of the outdoor dwelling aircraft for winter, with these being the priority and the weather being favourable 788 would just have to be patient. On Saturday we decided to check our F.8, WL168 over and get her as winter ready as we could.
I decided a few hours airing out would do her no harm. After clearing the blocked drain holes in the underside of the centre section and seeing the amount of water which came out, we decided to take the fuel tank bay covers off and let the centre section air and dry out for a bit too.
This revealed the original serial and Gloster build number on the rear bulkhead of the cockpit! Down in the bottom of the bay wasn't so pleasant
so we lifted the rear door off for better access
The 2 piece door really is way more user friendly than 788's one piece cumbersome arrangement. We cleaned and dried out the bottom of the bay as well as we could. She really could do with a new belly panel so we retrieved 788's old one from deep storage with a view to restoring it for use on 168, but have since been offered a NOS one so that's problem solved! Leaving her to air out for a few hours with the covers off, probably the first time these have been off since the jet came to us in the 90's.
I went off to spend a chunk of the afternoon under this thing, trying to persuade out a bolt which really, really, really liked its home in the starboard undercarriage main casting
Of course I did have to go give 788 a pat at locking up time
but her little sister nicked most of my day! Buttoned back down, and with the canopy sealed for winter and for the wash we were going to give her next day.
If it wasn't for the picnic benches this could be a scene from any generic RAF airfield of the 1950's...
Sunday was a busy day. Partly on the Silver Star again, partly making a start on getting the missiles off the Lightning,
partly trying to get the canopy open on the Gannet...
(we think we have sussed that particular problem)... and partly giving 168 a damn good wash after being sat under the trees for a good while. As you can see in the preceding photos, the poor old thing was a selection of shades of green which she really ought not to have been! So, brush and jet wash out...
That paint may be 30+ years old, but it's not doing bad at all. The RAF Finningley painters and finishers knew their stuff...
Looking much better...
There's a roundel and squadron bars under that moss! Who knew?!
Blasting the wing off. It's not long before the sun drops down the sky on a working day these days; this was taken at 2.20pm...
All done, just in time to avoid the showers but capture the obligatory rainbow shot
We retreated for a brew, then did some 'finishing up' bits. Kelvin and Scott gave the Qatari Hunter a bit of a blast over
I had finally remembered to charge up our trolley acc!
See, the gauge says it's full of volts once more! And 788's nose leg has remained fully charged
I've a bit more faith in that damper now. Reassuring if we struggle to get the new replacement we are hoping for. We then took a last look round the nice clean F.8 as the sun finally slipped away, giving some interesting lighting and skies
the roundel is red/white/blue rather than green/brown/a different green!

Yep, happy with that. Washed, canopy sealed, everything lubricated, drains cleared, she's winter ready
That is quite a line up, you have to admit...
So that was the work for the weekend all wrapped up! Hopefully I'll have some more 788 content for you from the next working weekend, things should be back to normal then.
But... a little bonus... a few of us trusted members of the YAM team were asked to stay later on site on the Saturday as on the neighbouring airfield there was a huge fireworks event on with a LOT of spectators, and the management wanted a presence on the museum site to deter anyone from poking around where they oughtn't while this was going on. This, of course, presented us with some unique and interesting photo opportunities... I dragged these off my facebook so they will have lost some of their resolution, but you can get the idea. Enjoy!

Shack WR963, Coventry

LaurenceG

Post by LaurenceG »

I just don't know how you do it Graham. A disaster like you just went through, and within moments you are back with a multipage round-up of the year. Amazing. And I'm so pleased you are going to merge the Chipmunk stuff. As much as I like Meteors the Chipmunk is still my number one.
Cheers, Laurence

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Good news that your Facebook pages is still available. Any technical boffins out there able to help and merge the FB posts into the UKAR forum ?

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Fabbo! We’re back on track!

There’s something very special about Elvo in the winter when it’s quiet and not many people are about...you can almost hear the Hercules firing up before an op...

TT

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

What they :arrow_up: all said :thumbsup: