Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
K5054NZ

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by K5054NZ »

Blue_2 wrote:
Fri 04 Mar 2022, 6:50 pm
K5054NZ wrote:
Fri 04 Mar 2022, 4:38 am
Mine will be 1/48 so it'll be a tiny bit easier!!
Unfortunately when I did my 1/48 788 I overlooked the wonkiness!
I expected better from you of all people! :rofl:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Fortunately my front room where said model lives is a zone free of picky rivet counters!
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

When you mentioned the Malta Aviation Museum, a lovely place to visit by the way, I found I had these, sorry that the pictures don't show, I am having an issue with Flickr, they should be viewable by clicking on the link, if they don't work I will see what I can do.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188318926 ... ed-public/

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/519 ... 88dc_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188318926 ... ed-public/

Archer

Post by Archer »

They work! If you click on the 'Share' button on Flickr, select the 'BBCode' option and paste the displayed code into your post, the end result should look like this:
Image20160914_120103 by Michael Haines, on Flickr

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

Cheers for that Archer, I tried the usual way which was copy the BBcode after using the inspect function and paste link as an IMG, but all I get is a load of error messages, will have another go and see if I can get it to work the way you described.

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

Got it now, cheers

Image20160914_120122 by
Michael Haines
, on Flickr

Image20160914_120030 by Michael Haines, on Flickr

ExVulcanGC

Post by ExVulcanGC »

I had to open flickr in Google as the share function with BBcode is missing through MS Edge and as said previously lots of error messages as well.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

It is a fantastic museum. Their Meatboxes may well have one or two items from our stock fitted, with more to come...

Anyway you'll need your comfy chair, a fresh brew, possibly a biscuit, jaffa cake or other sweet treat of your choice because this is going to be a long haul of a post guys, as I'm covering 3 days of 788-related goodness. Incidentally, I started typing this as 17.51. Let's see how long this load of bobbins takes to compile...

11-12-13/03/2022 Update!
A surprise day off from the day job saw me heading to the hangar on Friday. I had foolishly put my hand up to do one little job for the museum before I started on 788, just the small matter of checking and if necessary topping up all the tyres on the aircraft and equipment in the hangar prior to the big Spring move-about/40th Anniversary of the Falklands War event reconfiguring of the hangar. This will see the Harrier and the Mirage, as well as another guest aircraft (arriving later this month) which actually "was there", rightfully taking centre stage in the hangar.
A quick sweep of the hangar gave me a list of victims, both aircraft and GSE, needing attention before the moving crews set on. It's just a small list to drag the big compressor round...
Which inevitably got added to as I took a closer look at some of the aircraft! First though, I did a couple of bits for 788. I had acquired a relic condition 20mm AP round, which I added to a shell casing to use next time I have a "show and tell" table by 788 to demonstrate what armament she carried. After a rub back and paint, I polished up the shell casing then lacquered the lot
Leaving it to dry while I went tyre sorting. I had also acquired some ex De Havilland spanners, which came to me in nice recently de-rusted condition
So I decided it was only right to give these a coat of paint for their longevity too
Anyway back to the tyres. I didn't rush as I'm still not the most nimble I've ever been due to injury, but I worked my way down the slightly grown list. Of course, there's always one has to shyly hide its valve behind the leg or the brake/maxaret unit...
...and it's always a bl**dy Buccaneer, in this case 974! Others, such as the Vampire, were far more cooperative. I even managed to lift the front of the jet enough to spin the nosewheel so it wasn't sitting on the same spot of the tyre still!
By lunch time I had worked my way back to "my" end of the hangar, and finally it was 788's turn. She had been needing her mains reinflating for a number of weeks (months), but it was one of those jobs that kept getting forgotten, especially since Adam killed my own compressor while riveting. Anyway, a couple of views you lot don't normally get of 788...

(And my left boot. Sorry.) Then the compressor could return to the far side of the hangar, my gauge and adaptor to the cupboard, the list to the bin...
Because we were done! I checked up on the paint and lacquering I had done earlier, quite pleased with the result. I then got to thinking, how long had it been since the ammunition trackways had seen a 20mm round through them...?
Viewed from where the breech of the starboard inner gun should be! Next on my list of loose ends to tidy up was refitting the loose wire into the little JB on the front cockpit rear bulkhead, then the front seat can go back in. Of course, 788 had other ideas. I fitted the loose wire... then found 3 more random strays, all of which needed identifying and correctly rehoming. Great. I took the cover off, sadly there was no helful wiring diagram within
So what the heck is it? This number on it turned out to be no help at all
So I opted for plan B, the component layout in the Book Of Lies. Frequently a source of frustration, on this occasion it actually pointed me in roughly the right direction, revealing the relay to be part no.33 in this diagram
Which the correct sheet of paper with spaghetti thrown on it, aka the wiring diagrams, revealed to be this
A "Relay, type S4", a google of which gave me a picture and a part number. To make sure I wasn't barking up the entirely wrong tree in a totally unrelated forest, I went back into the cockpit and after doing a manouvre requiring more flexibility and dexterity than I have ever possessed was able to get a photo of the underside of the relay confirming it was indeed a 5C/3945, Relay Type S4.
I should point out getting this useable shot took several attempts as, due to the accessibility problems I may have gently alluded to, the background of my first few efforts included my gurning pained face, usually mid-curse. Not a pretty thing at the best of times, and not improved any by the jet drawing blood and colluding with the camera on my phone to be as stubbornly awkward and unhelpful as it could be! How it persuades a wire, unmoved for probably 60 years, to suddenly animate and jump in front of the lens just as I hit the "make photograph and steal its soul" button is beyond me... Anyway, while I was in there I noticed the other end of the wires, or rather the intercom wires these wires fed into via 2 JB's on the cockpit starboard wall, looked less than happy...
...so for now I did the right thing and pretended I didn't see these. One thing I didn't not see though, mainly because I have spent probably 3 years pretending to not see it as I have never not not seen it while a 2ba spanner and a ratchet with a 2ba socket on was handy, was the refurbished elevator trim wheel which has been held on to the refurbished trimmer box with 3 finger tight bolts since forever. Now...
...its yearning to feel secure has been fulfilled! After this last little job, that was enough for a Friday. I found this 2ba screw lurking in the floor, a hobby it had enjoyed for some time clearly...
Not sure I'll be able to reuse that!
Saturday, the wiring for the relay WAS going to be sorted whether it liked it or not! I made a crib sheet of the wiring of the relay, firstly because it's easier to take an a5 piece of paper in than hauling the "Book of Lies, Large Print Edition For The Terminally Blind and Bewildered" up into the confines of the cockpit, and partly because in good old 788 tradition, the relay is mounted the wrong way up in the jet!
I soon (no, not soon...) had all the wires back in their ancestral homes, and was relieved to put the cover back on the relay
I then went looking for the seat bolts. While I was hunting, I found the upper part of the cockpit fire extinguisher bracket which has been waiting to be riveted back on for a while (years...) now. It declined to continue being part of the bracket while I was removing the rear demister rail to refurbish it. Before it could scurry off and go to ground again, I riveted it back in place...
Before popping the extinguisher, beautifully cosmetically restored for us by Arno Brooks, back on!
Lovely stuff. After the usual fight fitting it, which requires you to have 5 ft long spaghetti arms with fingers the strength of Samson to get the bolts home, the seat was back in
And I'd even finished painting my vintage DH spanners!
So they can go straight in the toolbox and no doubt get scratched to buggery. Hey ho, I tried...
I then spent the afternoon embarking on another voyage of discovering just how complicated, over engineered and just downright arse-first some aspects of this jet are. Resuming the battle to remove the canopy motor, wheelbox and chain. The motor lives in the bay behind the navigator's shoulders, on the starboard side. It shares this bay with the hydraulic tank. The motor (they try to be posh by calling it a rotary actuator, but c'mon Rotax, you're not fooling anyone. It's a motor) is something you would think requires regular easy access for servicing, greasing the wheelbox etc., wouldn't you? So why in the name of all that is holy does the Good Book state the following, and I quote, "Drill out twenty six rivets securing panel and remove". What sort of clownshoe system requires you to drill chunks of the aircraft off every few weeks just to access service items?! This baffled and peeved me a tad (can you tell?!), but I did as instructed while muttering unpleasantries under my breath.
There, revealed in all its glory, is the motor. I'll be doing a mod on this, fitting captive nuts so the (currently ironically named) access panel can be screwed rather than riveted on, and removed quickly and easily. Poking around revealed the canopy seal inflation hose was past its best
Not a system we'll be using, so we'll have to tell some microswitches some lies. Keep that to yourself, we can't have them finding out... So then I had this conundrum to battle
I wonder if the designer of this was made to share the same pot of sniffing glue the designer of the flap/airbrake bay access used, or if he was issued a pot of his very own. Access and the disassembly process is truly abysmal. First the mount for the microswitches has to come off, then the gear wheel behind it.
50+ years of neglect made that a walk in the park, I can tell you... Eventually, after much anglo-saxon vocabulary, I got it to yield, revealing the bolts that hold the motor in
Easy from there, surely? You might think. Oh no, then you have to take that wheelbox chassis off, which involves turning spanners a millionth of a rotation at the time because (did I mention) the access it terrible, before finally if you are lucky getting to detach the motor from the chassis. I think my victory shout disturbed nesting seabirds on Flamborough Head when I finally got the motor free and clear...
I still had it to disconnect from the wiring loom though, so I labelled all the wires first of course...
Then opened up the connection box on the motor. It struck me that the last time these screws saw daylight, or encountered a screwdriver, was 1965...
As I wrote on the facebook page, the last time these screws saw light of day the Beatles and the Stones dominated the charts, Muhammed Ali was champion of the world, LBJ was the freshly sworn in US President, Mike Hailwood dominated the Isle of Man TT, the Vietnam War was in full swing, and the first pictures of Mars were being beamed back from Mariner 4... anyway with the motor out and clear...
I was able to remove the wheelbox, along with the very seized length of canopy chain attached to it. Here sat on top of the tank bay lid is one wheelbox (left), and one locked up stick of chain...
I put the wheelbox in the vice, and after dousing it with wd40 carefully prised the chain free from it
The chain itself I intended to put in an oil bath, with the hope that we can save some of it.
The motor cleaned up nicely. it spins beautifully, and I have every faith that it will be a worker. The data plate
And the mod plate. Last mod 15/04/1957
The motor and the wheelbox on their page in the Book Of Lies...
...and the now much emptier bay.
This will be getting a thorough clean out and repaint soon, as the hydraulic tank will be going back in here in the not too distant future. I just had time to start dismantling the wheelbox...
before bidding goodnight to the Naughty Corner's current occupants
That Vampire does sit much better with an aired-up nosewheel!
Sunday dawned, and my team for the day consisted of... Me. Again. Between paid work, assignments, and a poorly car, everyone else had to cry off. Undeterred, I got on with the days jobs. First job involved a potent concoction, no not the NAAFI special Soup Of The Day, but this...
Mainly old diesel engine oil but a few other choice goodies too. Submerged in this is the canopy chain, and in there it will remain for a number of weeks marinading gently. Unless some clumsy oaf kicks it over in the meantime and turns the hangar floor a new and interesting shade of black, of course... I also removed that front cockpit intercom lead I had been pretending I didn't see.
Dave Taylor does clever wiggly amp stuff, and offered to take this lead away and sort it for me. Cheers Dave. I started on the process of dismantling, degreasing and cleaning the wheelbox...
The above was conveniently the state of play by lunchtime, so I let the bits sit in the degreaser doing their thing while I got myself on the outside of a sandwich and a brew or 2. After this, I dried and cleaned off all the bits, prior to masking off certain faces of some of the components and treating everything to a coat of paint
I also spent a very long time reintroducing the main bearing race to an old friend it had almost forgotten existed; grease! Working the grease into the bearing was a long, time consuming process but it spins beautifully freely now. I got all the fixing hardware cleaned up too...

and even found some A-W part numbers!
So next trip (before I completely forget how this reassembles!) I'll be putting this back together, and I'm looking forward to seeing the complete overhauled article.
Also receiving paint this weekend, Monty's scratch built compass mount for Chippy WK640 received its second and third coats of matt black

Looks good, even better with the compass placed in position!

So I put the jet to bed, after a long and frustrating weekend of jobs. None of which will be seen by the casual visitor, but all need doing in order for our long term plans for 788 to bear fruit...
...and I went to help my local dispose of some barrels of Black Sheep bitter!
That's it for this update, more next time...

PS, it's now 19.49. I started compiling this at 17.51. You can't say I don't put in a proper shift for you lot...!
Shack WR963, Coventry

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Graham, I'm starting to think your life only revolves between the Museum and writing this brilliantly worded updates ;)
I continue to be both amazed and amused at the fight 788 is giving you as each little job turns into a complete overhaul accompanied with various 'design' flaws (how dare you) but they never seem to defeat you....

That 20mm round though - what act of unspeakable brutality did that to the round itself? I don't think I've ever seen one so battered?

Anyway - when you've got 5 minutes, can you oil my bike chain too ;)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Pete, I have a very, very busy life right now, and it only looks to be getting more hectic! Getting to sit down in peace with a pint is rapidly becoming a rare treat.
As to the design flaws, 788 isn't going to win. Man built her before, man can build her again, but this man just wishes the first man at Baginton had done a number of things differently!
The 20mm round is corroded rather than battered, as i said a relic. Still, it serves admirably to demonstrate that 788 once had teeth, until I come across some more 20mm. Ideally I want to find a belt so I can rig them permanently from our ammo box through the ammo track...
Shack WR963, Coventry

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Great update Graham well done that man

Ref the 20mm - I will start keeping some cases to one side for you. The biggest problem you will have is finding the links and heads. We helped a Spitfire restorer find a load so the cupboard is bare but for heads we suggest getting them 3D printed (there are companies online that do that for a quid or so a round).

TT

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Absolutely spiffing update old man, even if the weekend was full of those explentives that Granny would never use!

Now must dash, going to be late for work, having read this weeks entry, still I suppose its my fault, you did warn us :grinning:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

TT, that'd be very much appreciated, cheers old chap!

Tony, no sympathy, you've only yourself to blame. I did my due diligence bit!!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Post by 5944 »

A good update Graham, it's always fascinating to see the more technical side of restorations - something that very rarely seems to be posted elsewhere, other than to say something like "we refitted the wings and the rebuilt engine"!

Talking of the canopy motor, I work for a train operating company that has two fleets of trains - one British built, one German built. Guess which one has the vast majority of regularly inspected components easily accessible? Hint - not the ones built in Derby! It's amazing to think that someone designed something without any prior thought as to how you'd actually access it to service it.

Major, heavy lumps of equipment on the underframe which very rarely fail are designed to be replaced in an hour. Air con filters, changed every time the train is serviced (every couple of weeks) take 3 hours!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

We have to plunge into the deepest, and it has to be said not always most photogenic or interesting, depths of this aircraft and her components in order to restore the old girl properly. I like to take you along with us, to show its not all the shiny, easy quick work some others seem to portray it as! We still have plenty of the difficult, dirty, frustrating miles to trudge yet.

Why am I not surprised that British engineering still insists on logical, engineer friendly sensible design being not the done thing...?!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Didn't see this coming, did you...?!

17/03/2020 Update
Before you all get too much into toasting St. Patrick on his day with a pint or several of the Black Stuff, I've a sneaky day at YAM for your enjoyment. But it does start with beer... as Laurence is back from Malta and came bearing goodies...
...Books from my friend Ezechiel, and Cisk beer! All very welcome. After getting caught up with Laurence, and more importantly getting him up to date with 788, I started putting the canopy chain wheelbox back together. As I went to lunch this was the progress...
To all be undone as I then noticed I had missed out one of the thin metal glands which sit either side of the main bearing, presumably to try and keep the grease in. Bugger. So after lunch, here we go again...
This time I had remembered that gland... but then noticed I had forgotten the washer from one of the bolts. Bugger again. So, third attempt...
...saw it back together and reunited with the motor for now. Kane had arrived after work, and after he had grabbed some lunch I set him on with the task of making a new access panel for the canopy motor bay, beacause as you may recall we are modifying it from being riveted on (ACCESS panel. The clue is in the name. FFS Armstrong Whitworth...) to something much more user friendly. He's made a good start...
I cleaned up more parts of the canopy opening mechanism
These bits interact with the 3 microswitches in the system, which ensure and confirm the canopy is safe to open or close. One tells it if the canopy seal is inflated or not; we'll not be reinstating that aspect of the canopy mechanism so we need to work out how to make that particular microswitch tell some little fibs somewhere down the line.
The A-W inspectors stamps and part numbers all cleaned up nicely
So I broke out the paint to hopefully protect them for years to come
The combined canopy motor/hydraulic tank bay looks better for a good sweep out
It's in pretty good order, but we'll give it a coat of fresh paint before we put the tank and the motor in, which will probably be in the not too distant future as we want to crack on with seeing off the hyd system.
All in all, not a bad bonus day's work!
Now go and crack on with toasting St.Paddy with Guinness! More next time...
Shack WR963, Coventry

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Blue_2 wrote:
Thu 17 Mar 2022, 6:40 pm
More next time...
Standing by!
Zac in NZ

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Patience Zac! It'll be the weekend before I get to play again.
Shack WR963, Coventry

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Joining the orderly queue waiting for the next thrilling update too Graham ;)
Fully expect to see the canopy motoring freely, hydraulics operating, all Jaffa's consumed, and heaven knows what else that might take your fancy when you arrive and contemplate the scene that greets you.....
I mean - some weekends you started something 'simple' and ended up replacing an entire nose leg - so we have high expectations these days you know :)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Well seeing as I have to eat, and YAM don't see fit to pay me for my toils, you'll have to be patient and wait for the weekend as Monday to Friday I have to do that work that brings coins in instead! Being reduced to eating my shoes is not an appealing prospect (I've smelled them...)

You say what takes my fancy, you're close to the truth there. A little insight into the 788 modus operandi for you...
I have the luxury of walking in and seeing what I fancy (and physically feel up to, thanks to various injuries) knocking off the list that weekend. Available bodies on the day is a factor too, if I have a few in it makes sense to chunk off some of the larger tasks. If its just me, embarking on a full main leg change is probably unwise. Hence some weekends it's huge strides with great big chunks done, other weekends it's tinkering away at the bench overhauling a small but vital item. It all needs doing, it's all on the list, and slowly we're crossing items off.
Shack WR963, Coventry

K5054NZ

Post by K5054NZ »

Blue_2 wrote:
Tue 22 Mar 2022, 4:42 pm
Well seeing as I have to eat, and YAM don't see fit to pay me for my toils, you'll have to be patient and wait for the weekend as Monday to Friday I have to do that work that brings coins in instead!
Excuses, excuses :rofl:
Zac in NZ

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Well you're only getting one day's worth of work updates this weekend, as I've clearly been spoiling you all recently!
26/03/2022 Update
The weekday gang have had a busy week round site, repositioning aircraft for summer and to make way in the hangar for the Falklands 40 event. As you'll see here viewtopic.php?t=87191 I got busy with the camera catching aircraft out in the sun, and getting pics of our new arrival, the Lynx. Which of course Snoopy had to get checked out on!

This Lynx really is a lovely restoration, she's only with us for I believe 4 months and I urge you to come and see her for yourself while you can. On to business, and Scott, Monty and myself were in. Monty is nearing the finishing line with the compass mount he is making for 640, yesterday he was busy fitting the captive nuts to mount the compass and making from scratch the lamp for it using the original we have as a pattern. Scott and I decided to make the most of the glorious Spring weather and got the fuel tank bay lid off the jet with the intent of getting it outside and, to use a good Yorkshire term, fettled. The paint removal and prep of this big chunk of the airframe has been very much a stop/start effort over time, with the emphasis very much on "stop" recently! Previously other members of the team had made huge inroads into it though, thankfully. We got the trestles set up, then put the lid on and recommenced the drudge of removing what felt like inches thick paint and very old, ineffective paint stripper from the panel
As usual when prepping a panel on this jet, it can turn into a bit of an archaelogical dig, unearthing layer upon layer of paint. As you can see here in some places it went down to 1ANS High Speed Silver, and then into the 2ANS and even I suspect 152 Squadron original camouflage paint beneath that!
There are catches at each end of the panel with pins to secure the front and back edges of the lid down; until yesterday I didn't know they said LIFT on them under the tonnes of paint!
Eventually, after probably 3 hours work and a lunch break we got it something like prepped between us
I also repaired the nasty little hole in the starboard side of it. Then we got on with rolling the primer on, Monty caught Myself and Scott hard at work trying to prime and get a good finish on the thing before the primer baked on in the sun!
I think we prevailed though...
So after a very quick Cake O'clock, and very aware we were running out of day on what was YAM's last day of winter opening hours (back to 5pm closing as of today!), we decided to get a first coat of silver on.

For a first coat, I'm chuffed with that
We then got on with moving it back inside
Back on its trestles behind the jet, where it will sit until I'm in next and apply the second coat of silver
Monty had a productive day too. He did some tidying on his compass mount for 640, and as I mentioned fitted the captive nuts

Snoopy was in his pocket as Kelvin of the Buccaneer team unexpectedly popped in. Kelvin is the keeper of Foxy Dave, often abducted by us (and the Nimrod guys). Fearing reprisal abduction, Monty provided security detail for Snoopy!
Fortunately, Kelvin wasn't feeling lucky... Back to Chippy stuff, I had given Monty my pipe bender and cutter, and a length of old hyd pipe to make the arm for the compass lamp from. Between making this and the bracket for the lamp, then priming and painting the whole lot, he's done a bloody good job!
We just need to acquire a lamp unit for it now, as I have no spares and they seem to be creeping up in price a tad.
Anyway, that's it for this week, the hangar will look very different again when I'm next in I'm sure.
Can't wait to see it!
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Have to say that, despite what you started with, the work that you've all put in, makes the fuel tank cover looks almost NOS!

Another cracking update Grommit! :thumbsup:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Another amazing update, and I agree with Tony that the Fuel Tank Cover looks like new!
Well done all :)
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Cheers chaps. And it still needs a top coat yet!
Shack WR963, Coventry