Fort Paul Closed?

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
TEXANTOMCAT

Fort Paul Closed?

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Recent info is Fort Paull has closed permanently- what future for the Beverley, Hunter and Blackburn triplanes? Sad news never managed to visit though saw the Bev at the Army Transport Museum prior to it closing

TT

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Re: Fort Paul Closed?

Post by parsley »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:Recent info is Fort Paull has closed permanently- what future for the Beverley, Hunter and Blackburn triplanes? Sad news never managed to visit though saw the Bev at the Army Transport Museum prior to it closing

TT

Local paper confirms the closure

www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east- ... ns-3759700

One has to worry about the future of the Beverley...Any move will be a major and expensive job.

Archer

Post by Archer »

I remember a statement from around the time of its move to Fort Paull, saying that the Beverley probably would not survive another move. It would be a major undertaking, but I do hope that a survival plan for that aircraft will emerge.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

i managed a photo of this when it was in the army museum, but never knew how they moved this beast to Fort Paul.

This might fill in some gaps http://www.beverley-association.org.uk/html/259/259.htm

it does, however, deserve to be saved.
Got to love Russianhardware

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

thanks Dave - that article gives some idea of the monumental task involved in moving it.

Yes it would be nice preserving somewhere but I did wonder how easy (or rather difficult) it would be to move even without reading that article. I rather fear it would fall apart first before it could be properly dismantled.

It would be a shame to lose it so I hope somebody gives it a go even they only save the fuselage or thereabouts - it's a big thing to move so road haulage wouldn't be easy and I don't think anyone would risk an airlift even just up to Elvington in case it fell apart in mid air!

Apart from aviation enthusiasts I'm not sure what interest there would be in it as a preserved item, it's not something most of the general public will have heard of so that begs the question 'would it have any general appeal?'

Unfortunately I do fear it will end up in bits, too costly (even if it's bought for a nominal fee) and too many unknowns once you start taking it apart, let alone re-assembling it. The scrap value won't be high but more than any sensible group will want to pay for it - just depends if the owner is willing to give it away on a collection only basis.

Andy
andygolfer

http://www.superguppy.co.uk
winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Andover

Post by Andover »

Very worrying...again. I remember when MAT closed and the headline in Flypast, showing the previous scrapping of XH124 was: 'This must not happen again.'
Thus, XB259 is the last of its type, and just because it's not a bomber or a fighter, needs to be saved. Not least to highlight the British approach to an immensely practical and versatile design. This, very sadly, was obviously not the view of the custodians of XH124.

I think the only British post war production type no longer in existance is the Avro Tudor. I wouldn't like the Beverley to join it.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

First I have even heard of Ford Paul. never visit that far northt bh.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Andover wrote:I think the only British post war production type no longer in existance is the Avro Tudor....

That thought sounds like a challenge.... :question:

DH Hornet / Sea Hornet? (Hopefully, soon to be corrected, of course! :yahoo: )
VS Spiteful / Seafang?
Any more...?
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

This is in no way any expression of interest, but I wonder if anyone has carried out, or has access to a structural survey for the Beverley in question? This would help any group that might be interested make a realistic assessment of the viability of another move.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
http://newarkairmuseum.org

ThreeM

Post by ThreeM »

Always had a soft spot for the Beverley, not least of all because my first flying experience was in one. On a Saturday morning in 1963, to Odiham with a Belvedere as cargo; many more flights followed. A couple of the flights were to Stornoway, it was great to sit in the lower section of the nose watching the world beneath slowly pass by through the glazed panels. Not so much fun having to make an emergency landing at RNAS Lossiemouth on the return flight, oil was leaking in copious quantity from one of the Centaurus engines and was considered a fire risk.

Curiously my daughter now lives in the pleasant market town of Beverley, so three years ago we made the short journey to Hull to visit Fort Paull. After what I had read I expected to find XB259 in a forlorn state but was pleasantly surprised. First time I'd set foot on a Beverley in nearly 50 years, the last time being XB269 on a flight from Abingdon to Shawbury where it had an appointment with the scrapman.

I hope it will be preserved but I fear the worst.