Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2022 - 10th & 11th September

Post by UKAirshowTour »

pb643 wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 7:23 am
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Sun 11 Sep 2022, 8:49 pm
Tom105 wrote:
Sun 11 Sep 2022, 6:11 pm
Brilliant day, the Balbo take off from the tank bank was brilliant. JR flew two brilliant solos the pr11 will long be remembered by me for the occasion and that joker for just what a brilliant display in a lovely spit!

Although the show seemed a slower pace than in the past, I thoroughly enjoyed the day.
I know what you mean.

Thoroughly enjoyable day, loved the Sptifire and Hurricane departure, worth attending for just that 10 or 15 minutes alone. Also notable were the Lysanders, Blenhiem, Gladiator and the Spitfire solos. No weak displays for me. But somehow the flying display didn't seem to quite add up to the promise of such a busy flightline. More time spent with solo displays than I had anticipated, not as many wow moments as I thought there would be. Maybe just me?

Are the BBMF suspended during the mourning period? I couldn't hear the commentary.
What were you expecting? Everything in the flight line except a hurricane that wasn’t even meant to be there flew so what more could have happened with the flight line lineup we had?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 12:27 pm
Everything in the flight line except a hurricane that wasn’t even meant to be there flew
Hawker Nimrod?.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Meteorops

Post by Meteorops »

Seems like the Czechs are doing some site seeing, according to ads-b they've been to Shuttleworth and the US memorial cemetery and are now over Cambridge.i am watching on the off chance that their journey home will over our house as we see many Europe bound aircraft from Duxford fly over.

Added edit: now over Suffolk coast, if they had taken the direct route from Duxford I would have probably caught sight of them.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 12:27 pm
pb643 wrote:
Mon 12 Sep 2022, 7:23 am
Mooshie1956 wrote:
Sun 11 Sep 2022, 8:49 pm
Tom105 wrote:
Sun 11 Sep 2022, 6:11 pm
Brilliant day, the Balbo take off from the tank bank was brilliant. JR flew two brilliant solos the pr11 will long be remembered by me for the occasion and that joker for just what a brilliant display in a lovely spit!

Although the show seemed a slower pace than in the past, I thoroughly enjoyed the day.
I know what you mean.

Thoroughly enjoyable day, loved the Sptifire and Hurricane departure, worth attending for just that 10 or 15 minutes alone. Also notable were the Lysanders, Blenhiem, Gladiator and the Spitfire solos. No weak displays for me. But somehow the flying display didn't seem to quite add up to the promise of such a busy flightline. More time spent with solo displays than I had anticipated, not as many wow moments as I thought there would be. Maybe just me?

Are the BBMF suspended during the mourning period? I couldn't hear the commentary.
What were you expecting? Everything in the flight line except a hurricane that wasn’t even meant to be there flew so what more could have happened with the flight line lineup we had?
I thought we might get a multi-Spitfire aerobatic display at some point but I understand it if they were protecting their ability to put up 16 Merlin-powered round-winged Spitfires for the finale, which was amazing.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I thought it was a great show, shame about the Beech 18 but hopefully we'll see that in the future. I would pay good money to watch John Romain in RN201 again, a beautiful aircraft and flown to perfection, definitely the highlight of the weekend for me.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

thought it turned out to be a cracking show all in all. 2 minute silence well respected on sunday when i was there, ended by a solo spit. a fitting way to start the show.

flying was on point, despite the normal quibbles about being to far away etc.

Can't fault it really, getting the Czechs is a massive pull by IWM and they should for once be applauded for it.

Well worth the £45 quid for entry and parking (albeit the north side car park was a mess at the end as usual), but £9 hot dogs? the need to do something about that

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sat 10 Sep 2022, 3:05 pm
You can park on the grass however you park up then walk up to a booth apparently I must have missed, you have your bag searched at random then if you return to your car you have to show a little ticket thing to prove you’ve been admitted even though you never leave the venue so why they feel the need to do that I have no idea
Have I understood this right, you were able to park on the grass area between the Land Warfare hall and the main road, as you turn in from the main road, but there was no parking on the grass between the Land Warfare hall and American Air Museum ?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

That's correct yes. The field between LWH and main road is public parking, you then show your entry tickets on foot for entry to the show ground.

Between LWH and AAM is disabled parking. Its very sparsely occupied by cars though, compared to the old days of general parking there.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

LinkGaz56 wrote:
Tue 13 Sep 2022, 8:15 am
UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sat 10 Sep 2022, 3:05 pm
You can park on the grass however you park up then walk up to a booth apparently I must have missed, you have your bag searched at random then if you return to your car you have to show a little ticket thing to prove you’ve been admitted even though you never leave the venue so why they feel the need to do that I have no idea
Have I understood this right, you were able to park on the grass area between the Land Warfare hall and the main road, as you turn in from the main road, but there was no parking on the grass between the Land Warfare hall and American Air Museum ?
Yes, there was general parking on the grass parallel to the A505, between the entrance and the first tree line, but the area between the American Air Museum and the Land Warfare Hall was reserved for disabled badge holders.

Once the general parking was full, vehicles were directed to a field on the other side of the A505 and there were temporary traffic lights to permit visitors to cross the road.

I recall that IWM have experimented with this arrangement in the past.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

The exit from the field North of the A505 is away from the main road and then via Thriplow and Fowlmere Westwards, which works very well (especially if you are a bit slow to leave the airfield) - we didn't queue at all.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Tue 13 Sep 2022, 10:14 am
The exit from the field North of the A505 is away from the main road and then via Thriplow and Fowlmere Westwards, which works very well (especially if you are a bit slow to leave the airfield) - we didn't queue at all.
that one normally works well, ive never had any issues in there. the old admin/barracks area directly opposite the field is always an issue

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Although not so good if you're heading south 😉

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 13 Sep 2022, 11:44 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Although not so good if you're heading south 😉
You have seen my forum name...? A505 West, A1M South. Boom.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Could never understand what was wrong with the disabled car parking at the eastern end on the hardstand in front of Airspace hangar. Dispite best efforts of staff unloading and moving wheelchair on the grass is not easy and the view from the Land Warfare is usually obscured so viewing from car not an option.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Wed 14 Sep 2022, 7:13 am
Could never understand what was wrong with the disabled car parking at the eastern end on the hardstand in front of Airspace hangar. Dispite best efforts of staff unloading and moving wheelchair on the grass is not easy and the view from the Land Warfare is usually obscured so viewing from car not an option.
Indeed. And the worst of it is that the big green area that used to be car parking is mostly just empty now. They park badge holders from the back instead of from the front rows. All that empty space is a bit of a frustrating waste of capacity when parking passes sell out.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

The parking is an absolute joke and they've ruined what was a good thing.

I want to focus on the positives because it really was a good airshow, and getting the Czech helicopters was absolutely incredible and the organisers deserve massive praise for that.

That being said - some of the decisions around the ticketing were just bizarre. Why on earth did they make the decision to park the cars up and *then* check tickets? This had the knock on effect that it was not possible to move freely back and forth to your car and a secondary ticket had to be provided, and then handed back in... I half wonder if they were just trying to find jobs for staff to do?

There was also a fence across the western end of the tank bank with the implication that to get back to your car you needed to walk all the way back around the LWH rather than just taking the quickest route. Thankfully people saw sense and just ignored the fence.

If they just went back to the old system of offering the best parking to the early arrivers and offering disabled people hard standing (which is what wheelchair users need!) I really would have no complaints.

A great airshow overall - can't wait for October.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Main thing I can say about the weekend is thank you to those of you who suggested getting the train to Whittlesford and walking from there. It was much more relaxing than driving (& about half the price), especially when it came to leaving as you avoid the bum fight to leave the car park.
Will definitely be using the train in future.

As an aside, for those of you who were there on the Saturday, it was absolutely bone dry in Whittlesford after the display. Shows how localised the rain was!

timuss

Post by timuss »

I think Duxford missed a trick in not getting the Hind and AR501 together on the flightline for a photo opportunity.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Post by 5944 »

ted633 wrote:
Wed 14 Sep 2022, 3:24 pm
Main thing I can say about the weekend is thank you to those of you who suggested getting the train to Whittlesford and walking from there. It was much more relaxing than driving (& about half the price), especially when it came to leaving as you avoid the bum fight to leave the car park.
Will definitely be using the train in future.

As an aside, for those of you who were there on the Saturday, it was absolutely bone dry in Whittlesford after the display. Shows how localised the rain was!
I parked just the other side of the M11 on the way to Whittlesford, maybe half a mile from the site entrance and yep, car was bone dry. Unlike myself and my dad, who had to travel back to Cheshire in rather wet clothes! A couple of miles west of Duxford was dry too.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

5944 wrote:
Wed 14 Sep 2022, 10:09 pm
I parked just the other side of the M11 on the way to Whittlesford, maybe half a mile from the site entrance and yep, car was bone dry. Unlike myself and my dad, who had to travel back to Cheshire in rather wet clothes! A couple of miles west of Duxford was dry too.
Yes , it wasn't an enjoyable train journey home in damp clothes. Had to bail onto the underground at Seven Sisters (instead of continuing to Liv Street) to try to warm up!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Hi all, just beginning to coalate my log entries for last Saturdays Show, Does anyone have the registrations for the Diamond 9 Moth Team please, I cannot find them any where.

Thought it was a great show, the Silence for Her Majesty was impeccable and well observed. Really enjoyed the Spitfires and Hurricanes....

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Unknown74 wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 9:17 am
Hi all, just beginning to coalate my log entries for last Saturdays Show, Does anyone have the registrations for the Diamond 9 Moth Team please, I cannot find them any where.

Thought it was a great show, the Silence for Her Majesty was impeccable and well observed. Really enjoyed the Spitfires and Hurricanes....
Bit of a mixture, sure you can research any civil registrations for the military ones:

N6466
G-ANRN
LF858 Queen Bee
G-AHOO
G-ACGZ Moth Major
G-AHAN
G-ANFM
G-APLU
G-ANRF

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Cheerz FarnboroJohn, that’s a good start anyway. Much obliged.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I know this is nothing to do with the actual BoB Airshow but does anyone know where the Catalina was over the BoB Airshow Weekend?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Unknown74 wrote:
Mon 19 Sep 2022, 9:13 am
I know this is nothing to do with the actual BoB Airshow but does anyone know where the Catalina was over the BoB Airshow Weekend?
An airshow on the continent. I forget which one.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"