The Sywell & Air Leasing Thread

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
StandardTom

The Sywell & Air Leasing Thread

Post by StandardTom »

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for people to discuss the comings and goings at Sywell. Hopefully, others think so too?

The taxiway connecting the main apron and the Air Leasing apron has been completed and the third blister is coming along nicely.

I popped over on my lunch break today and two shipping containers turned up outside Air Leasing. It looked, to all intents and purposes like Sea Fury FB.11 WJ232 was being loaded into one of them. I didn't see the serial so I can't confirm but given the colour scheme, it looks like a good bet.

To be honest, I'd actually missed the fact that it had even arrived here yet. Hopefully, a thread like this can help us all keep up with whats going on there.
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

TEXANTOMCAT

Re: The Sywell & Air Leasing Thread

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Good call, I wondered how long it would be before we at Sywell got our own thread!

The Slingsby SE5A continues to make good progress too :)

The Sywell Aviation Museum remains closed in July but is hosting a special Book and Model Sale on 26/7/20 between 10am-2pm subject to weather as it will be outside!

TT

Ozfuryfan

Post by Ozfuryfan »

The Fury is being shipped back to Oz from all reports, the owner has had quotes/ estimates for the engine repair from both hemispheres :)) I am unsure of its destination once shipping is done

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

Thanks for the info both :grinning:

Here are a few photos from yesterday afternoon, the colour scheme certainly looks like WJ232.

My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

AT-6D Harvard III 14863 / G-BGOR had a trip down to South Wales this morning, returning early afternoon.
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

The Sywell Aerodrome Facebook page posted a COVID-19 update earlier this evening.

There will be Spitfire flying Sat 18th - Mon 20th July between 0900-1300 and 1330-1730. There's no indication of which Spitfire(s), but I would guess it is ML407?

Aero Legends latest update on the recent return to flying operations only talks about flying from Headcorn.
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Hi Tom,

Can you confirm the opening time for the gates ? (if you know)... I have seen 12pm mentioned (was 8:30 pre lockdown).

Cheers
Peter

p.s great idea for a thread.

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

MUSTANG wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 8:32 pm

Can you confirm the opening time for the gates ? (if you know)... I have seen 12pm mentioned (was 8:30 pre lockdown).
Hi Peter, I believe during the week they are opening the gates at 1200 at the moment. Hopefully that will revert back to pre-lockdown timings, as you say.

I'm not sure about the weekend but if I find out I shall post.
Last edited by StandardTom on Wed 08 Jul 2020, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Thanks for the reply Tom...

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

StandardTom wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 7:28 pm
AT-6D Harvard III 14863 / G-BGOR had a trip down to South Wales this morning, returning early afternoon.
Is this the ex Martin sergeant aircraft? Silver with dark cowling? I think The Blades are back out and about soon, I read somewhere?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Yes that’s the one👍

I can hear something throaty buzzing about so maybe she’s up again today- I imagine AL will be trying to keep their pilots currency

TT

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Sat 11 Jul 2020, 11:53 am

I can hear something throaty buzzing about so maybe she’s up again today- I imagine AL will be trying to keep their pilots currency
The weather over the last week has been either too windy, or low cloud and persistent rain. Next week is looking a bit more promising for some currency flying.

The last thing I had over my way doing aeros was Spitfire RN201 on the 15th June. In my experience they tend to go out to the East of Sywell, though we do get some to the North occasionally!
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

StandardTom wrote:
Wed 08 Jul 2020, 8:19 pm

There will be Spitfire flying Sat 18th - Mon 20th July between 0900-1300 and 1330-1730. There's no indication of which Spitfire(s), but I would guess it is ML407?

Aero Legends latest update on the recent return to flying operations only talks about flying from Headcorn.
From some chat on one of the Sywell Facebook groups, it looks like it will be Aero Legends this coming weekend.
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

StandardTom

Post by StandardTom »

A really busy day at the airfield today with plenty of activity around Graceland.

Spitfire ML407 was up twice during the afternoon and I also spotted the tail of Mustang "Contrary Mary" in one of the blisters, not connected to the aircraft.

In preparation for this weekend, Aero Legends Spitfire NH341 arrived and after a refuel, it was tucked away into the corporate hangar.
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Finally managed a visit this morning and it was fairly busy...noted P-51D "Contrary Mary" having its propeller hub fitted (stayed inside blister) and Spitfire Tr.9 ML407 went up for a flight (before I left). Bike runs were being done up and down the runway as well....

Apparently the car park gates are now open from 9am to 8pm...

Peter

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

MUSTANG wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020, 3:00 pm
and Spitfire Tr.9 ML407 went up for a flight (before I left).
ML407 was up yesterday morning, for I guess, a 60 min Beachy Head air experience trip......as I heard it fly close to my house as I was fence painting in the garden. Couldn't see it because of the trees, so went in and looked on ADS-B to see which Merlin was making nice music close to me :grinning:

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Today`s flight was solo...got the impression he was a newish pilot, did a really good check over the aircraft.

I believe ML407 has been flying most days this week..

Peter

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

The Sywell Aviation Museum Book and Model sale takes place this Sunday between 10-2 in the Museum car park. Thereafter the Museum reopens 10.30-16.30 weekends and bank holidays until the end of September.

ATB

TT

Merlin70

Post by Merlin70 »

Sunshine and merlins. On and RN201 playing hide and seek.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Ozfuryfan wrote:
Tue 07 Jul 2020, 11:39 am
The Fury is being shipped back to Oz from all reports, the owner has had quotes/ estimates for the engine repair from both hemispheres :)) I am unsure of its destination once shipping is done
Does anyone know what's happened to this one - has it been/ is it being restored Down Under?