Bit and piece identification help

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Col. Chibani

Bit and piece identification help

Post by Col. Chibani »

Hello / Bonjour everybody.

I forward here an identification help request from a fellow from french "Check-six" aviation forum: http://www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopi ... 5#p1809625.

He found the following pieces from a crash site in a field in the north of France:

0.5 cal ammo, believed to come from the wreck of a P-51 (no more details available)

This oil (?) tank / drain (that may also come from a tractor ...):

This trapezoidal piece:

Any help for identifying these relics will be appreciated !
Thank you / Merci.

Cole

Re: Bit and piece identification help

Post by Cole »

Just a word of warning.

That ammunition looks to be live so be careful with it, the likelyhood of it going off is little but still there, the information is out there about how to deactivate them but its not adviseable by anymeans.
For the time being, i would keep them away from sunlight and wrapped in wet paper towel if it was me.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Cole wrote:
Tue 06 Oct 2020, 10:32 pm
Just a word of warning.

That ammunition looks to be live so be careful with it, the likelyhood of it going off is little but still there, the information is out there about how to deactivate them but its not adviseable by anymeans.
For the time being, i would keep them away from sunlight and wrapped in wet paper towel if it was me.
That isn't going to accomplish anything.... he should just pull the bullets, tip out the charge & then fire the primers (if they'll actually fire).

micktruan

Post by micktruan »

With reference to the bullets, in the UK these are section one ammunition, in which case it is an offence to be in possession of them, even if they were dismantled God forbid,even the parts constitute an offence.

The caveat being you are authorised to be in possession of them.

Regards Mick
Last edited by micktruan on Sat 10 Oct 2020, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole

Post by Cole »

ZRX61 wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020, 6:21 am
Cole wrote:
Tue 06 Oct 2020, 10:32 pm
Just a word of warning.

That isn't going to accomplish anything.... he should just pull the bullets, tip out the charge & then fire the primers (if they'll actually fire).
I can't say pulling on the bullet would be adivsable, but if you do choose to do it. Make sure to do it in a bowl of water so that the gunpowder gets wet before any possible sparks from removing the bullet
is created.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Regarding the bullets,surely it would be more advisable for safety's sake to contact the local police to get the French equivalent of EOD to dispose of them safely?

effects

Post by effects »

nighthawk999 wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020, 1:24 pm
Regarding the bullets,surely it would be more advisable for safety's sake to contact the local police to get the French equivalent of EOD to dispose of them safely?
YES
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)