Post by rob68 »

Unsure where to post
Looks like the Catalina crew have been picked up by the Loch Ness RNLI

http://thisisflight.net/2020/10/17/cata ... -troubles/

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Catalina loch Ness difficulties

Post by Blackbird »

It does say that both crew and aircraft returned to shore by the RNLI, so hopefully all will be well.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I trust the rib owner/driver will take responsibility for hitting her. A Catalina isn't exactly small.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

We dearly need to get her returned to her home in Duxford for the winter which is where your donation comes in.

As you can imagine the logistics involved are massive. In order to get the aircraft back to Duxford we need to extract her from the Loch and onto dry land as soon as possible so that the damaged engine can be replaced. Once that's completed, we then need to put her back onto the Loch so she can be flown home. Otherwise she will be at the mercy of the harsh Scottish winter on a Loch (which as we all know is home to a certain wee beastie!) rather than her usual cosy hanger in Duxford. The damage this could do to the aircraft could be irreparable.
GoFundMe Appeal Page

Archer

Post by Archer »

A post on WiX by the crew chief stated that it was just a busted starter, but in this GoFundMe appeal, an engine change is needed. The post on The Catalina's Society Facebook page also mentions their engineer changing a starter motor only... I would want to know a bit more before contributing to a fundraiser.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The fund raiser has been started by one of the Catalina's display pilots, Matt Dearden.

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

I asked on Twitter and after investigation its more serious than first thought so the engines got to come off.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Blackbird wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020, 11:07 am
I trust the rib owner/driver will take responsibility for hitting her. A Catalina isn't exactly small.
To be fair, we don't know the full circumstances. It might be that the rib was invited to approach by the Catalina crew, in an effort to help with their difficulties. A boatman can't necessarily be expected to understand how delicate aircraft structures are, compared to marine ones!
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

cometguymk1 wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm
I asked on Twitter and after investigation its more serious than first thought so the engines got to come off.
Ouch.....that's going to be fun changing that while on the water....... :slight_frown:

I wonder when that was last done in the UK?

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

GeeRam wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 2:47 pm

Ouch.....that's going to be fun changing that while on the water....... :slight_frown:

From the Fundraising link above :- 'In order to get the aircraft back to Duxford we need to extract her from the Loch and onto dry land as soon as possible so that the damaged engine can be replaced. Once that's completed, we then need to put her back onto the Loch so she can be flown home.'

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Big Eric wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 2:56 pm
GeeRam wrote:

From the Fundraising link above :- 'In order to get the aircraft back to Duxford we need to extract her from the Loch and onto dry land as soon as possible so that the damaged engine can be replaced. Once that's completed, we then need to put her back onto the Loch so she can be flown home.'
How/where are they going to do that I wonder given, the lack of any slipway or beaching options on Loch Ness, which is why they attempted the single engine take-off in the first place, as quoted by the crew chief up there on his post on WIX as follows:
It was felt to be very important to at least try and get the Catalina off the Loch as there are no slipways there and very few options for beaching.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

GeeRam wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 3:11 pm
Big Eric wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 2:56 pm
GeeRam wrote:

How/where are they going to do that I wonder given, the lack of any slipway or beaching options on Loch Ness, which is why they attempted the single engine take-off in the first place, as quoted by the crew chief up there on his post on WIX as follows:
It was felt to be very important to at least try and get the Catalina off the Loch as there are no slipways there and very few options for beaching.
Locations do exist on the Loch where it can be moored for the work to be carried out. There are a couple of slipways and harbours around the Urquhart area, where they may not get the aircraft beached, but im sure could get arrangements made to build a work platform.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

ted633

Post by ted633 »

GeeRam wrote:
Did they actually attempt a single engine take-off, or has this been mis-quoted/interpreted?
I'd love to know what the CAA would think of them doing that, as that's got to be one of the biggest no-no's possible.

Hopefully they can get it fixed soon

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

ted633 wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm
GeeRam wrote:
Did they actually attempt a single engine take-off, or has this been mis-quoted/interpreted?
I'd love to know what the CAA would think of them doing that, as that's got to be one of the biggest no-no's possible.
That's what was claimed by the crew chief.....and the fact that in the photos shown with the RNLI lifeboat in attendance afterwards, it clearly shows the starboard prop in a feathered condition, which would certainly substantiate a single engine take-off attempt?

Archer

Post by Archer »

cometguymk1 wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm
That clears up my confusion, thanks. I did my best to go to the source of the story and tried various outlets but could not find confirmation of impending engine change.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

ted633 wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm

I'm sure you were just asking a rhetorical question out of curiosity, but there's a risk it will be interpreted as insinuating that the operators have been negligent.
Maybe ask the CAA or the operators?

ForkTailedDevil

Post by ForkTailedDevil »

There's a video on the GpFundMe page which gives an update.

The plan is to tow the aircraft across the Loch to a location where they will lift it out (by crane) onto land where they will replace the busted engine with their spare on. Engine runs will be completed then she'll be craned back onto the Loch. If all goes well they will then fly her to Inverness prior to returning the Duxford.

This plan will prove to be expensive (boat hire, Crane hire, accommodation etc) especially for a volunteer organisation hence the £20K target.
Not to have an adequate air force is to compromise the foundations of freedom & independence.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Not being towed across the loch, but across Urquhart Bay (where she is now) to Temple Pier.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Big Eric wrote:
Wed 21 Oct 2020, 1:26 pm
Not being towed across the loch, but across Urquhart Bay (where she is now) to Temple Pier.
Not great access down to that from the road for the size of mobile crane they are going to need to lift it out of the water, based on weight/reach requirements.
Hope someone has done some calc checks on the pier structure as well, for the crane/Cat combo..!

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq »

Pictures on their FB page show the crane is now in place

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

Shes out the water safely!

Archer

Post by Archer »

I guess she needed a pick-up.....