Antonov aircraft - filling the void?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
andygolfer

Antonov aircraft - filling the void?

Post by andygolfer »

The unfortunate demise of the An225 attracted quite a bit of attention but played a minor part in the activities of Antonov Airlines compared to their fleet of seven An.124s, 2 of which are currently listed as 'parked' at Gostomel but their condition must be in doubt. They provide much of the heavy / outsized air cargo capability in the world really alongside Volga Dnepr airlines who are listed as operated 12 but only 3 active and being Russian are currently out of the market.

Antonov Airlines activities included heavy lifting capabilities for the RAF (such as helicopters) and other military as well as heavy / outsized civilian cargos . Although 5 of their fleet of 7 are still active that could possibly end shortly with the ongoing war in Ukraine so I'm wondering what other aircraft are available to fill that void in both the civil and military field? The B747 cargo variants can carry heavy loads but I'n not sure about the outsized cargo capabilities and in the military field the USAF C.5 seems to be the only candidate.

So has anybody got any thoughts on what aircraft are around that could fill the gap? I'm actually quite surprised that nobody has looked to produce a successor to the C.5 or An.124, both of which have been around since the latter part of the 20th century, surely they couldn't go on for ever?.

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

XP282

Re: Antonov aircraft - filling the void?

Post by XP282 »

Its an interesting question Andy.I have been wondering the same thing with regards to the An124's that are currently outside of Ukraine. I understand that they are still active and operating for Antonov Airlines, but what will happen to these aircraft when they need maintenance? They cant go into Ukraine for maintenance.

I suppose the successor to the C5 or An124 is an upgraded C5 or An124.... If it aint broke don't fix it! The 225 had a greater lifting capacity but was in far less demand than the 124 fleet.

Whatever the outcome, its tragic to see whats happening to our neighbours.

Paul Waggett

Post by Paul Waggett »

How many C-5s are parked up at D-M? I'm sure there must be a business case for them to be restored to active service, even on the civil register.

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

Well at least one being used by French Army/Nato to move heavy vehicles to Romania in last week or so

about 5-10 seconds into the video

Amp

Post by Amp »

Beluga Airbus...

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Paul Waggett wrote:
Sat 12 Mar 2022, 1:35 pm
How many C-5s are parked up at D-M? I'm sure there must be a business case for them to be restored to active service, even on the civil register.
Can't see a business case for any of those ever appearing on the civil register, given the enormous operating costs of the C-5, which IIRC is the second most expensive to operate US aircraft after the B-2 Spirt per flying hour, and exceeds $100k per flying/hr.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Aside from the fact most of the C-5s that are in AMARG will have probably been robbed for spares

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Paul Waggett wrote:
Sat 12 Mar 2022, 1:35 pm
Apart from 1 "M" model all of the C5's at AMARC are "A" models (the oldest ones ) so over 45 years old and a number have already been scrapped.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Don't expect max weight for a loaded Airbus A300 / A330 Beluga can match the An-124 but volume is capable of delivering fully assembled helicopters, large vehicles and satellites. Think Airbus has an airtransportable loading rig. Biggest problem is how busy are Airbus.
Boeing have two (?) oversize cargo B747 but don't know their specifications, they are used for moving B767 fuselage's

NTG1610

Post by NTG1610 »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Sun 13 Mar 2022, 2:22 pm
Don't expect max weight for a loaded Airbus A300 / A330 Beluga can match the An-124 but volume is capable of delivering fully assembled helicopters, large vehicles and satellites. Think Airbus has an airtransportable loading rig. Biggest problem is how busy are Airbus.
Boeing have two (?) oversize cargo B747 but don't know their specifications, they are used for moving B767 fuselage's
Both these types are built for a dedicated purpose so would need some alteration or reconfiguration to do the job of AN124/C5 etc
They also do not have direct roll on roll off capability so would be of no use transporting heavy vehicles (or any other vehicles) that need to self unload

787 fuselage is what the Boeing 747-400LCF has been built for

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Sorry typo meant the 787 not 767. original post edited.
Totally agreed with the lack of easy loading.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq »

We've got a CL-44 going spare here at Bournemouth if it's any use? 😉