Weather watch '22

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
duffspeed

Re: Weather watch '22

Post by duffspeed »

JMC wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 7:53 am

Please no!
BBC website says 26c with a light south-westerly on display day Saturday. That's just about right.

verreli

Post by verreli »

High pressure seems to be moving into position which bodes well for settled warm weather with light winds. This is highly encouraging for the full show duration.

Some reports suggest el scorchio though. Factor 50 at the ready...

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

verreli wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 9:44 am
High pressure seems to be moving into position which bodes well for settled warm weather with light winds. This is highly encouraging for the full show duration.

Some reports suggest el scorchio though. Factor 50 at the ready...
And plenty of cold drinks!

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

So it’s no longer a question of whether the sun will shine it’s whether it will start melting the tarmac 😂

Anyone that knows me will tell you I hate the heat (Yeovilton 2013 was a nightmare) but after the washout that was the Friday of RIAT 2019 I will take whatever we get this year, got my UV umbrella and portable fans at the ready so do your worst weather gods 😊

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Andyperkins wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 6:41 pm
So it’s no longer a question of whether the sun will shine it’s whether it will start melting the tarmac 😂

Anyone that knows me will tell you I hate the heat (Yeovilton 2013 was a nightmare) but after the washout that was the Friday of RIAT 2019 I will take whatever we get this year, got my UV umbrella and portable fans at the ready so do your worst weather gods 😊
My head was like a 🍅 after Waddington in 2013.
Fast jet fanatic.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

BBC website forecast now 29 degrees for Weds / Thurs / Friday & Saturday! :sweat_smile: A cooler 27 degrees on Sunday :grin:

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Blinking weather. Rained all day last time I took the family in 2019, now its going to be sunny and hot , which is even worse for my Anxiety as i worry about the heat. Will be looking for those sheltered spots most of the day if anybody can offer us any .

coanda

Post by coanda »

I don't know about you, but, I find that a good way to deal with anxiety is preparation.

Be prepared for what the event might bring. Bring plenty of water containers with squash if you drink it, but not all of them full of water to save on weight - there are water bowsers available on the airfield for free, during the event (this is what I'll be doing: a full camel back and one or two containers with squash in them to fill as required).

I'll obviously bring suntan lotion with me, probably wear a polo shirt to turn the collar up or bring my neck gaiter for same (I wear this whale watching and does wonders combatting tan and wind/spray due to sweating off suntan lotion even if you might look a bit of a wally).

If you wanted to be really prepared, you could even bring electrolyte gels/sachets if you worry about heat exhaustion and can use them appropriately.

I will still bring my wet gear too. I'll have a stuff sack with waterproof trousers and jacket and another stuff sack big enough for my camera gear. Weighs very little and when you need it, you need it!

Some may think this is going over the top, some may think it's not enough. I would say I am a little worried with my own personal performance if it's super hot because I have been sat down for around 2.5 years disengaged from the world, so, I am unfit, have lost muscle mass and put weight on. All bad things. I won't be on my own in this, so taking it easy and being prepared is no bad thing, imo.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Mr Benn wrote:
Tue 05 Jul 2022, 6:43 pm
Will be looking for those sheltered spots most of the day if anybody can offer us any .
I'm sure you'll remember, in previous years, there have been "Service Stations" located in the Red, Blue, and Green zones, where there is a large marquee. They group the food stalls around these and there was WiFi access, however, they do tend to be crowded so I'm not sure they'll help much with your anxieties. I'd recommend staying off the taxiways, certainly during the middle part of the day (11am - 2pm), and perhaps bringing a couple of umbrellas to use for shade or, try hiding under the wing of some of the larger aircraft. As has been mentioned, there are usually plenty of water bowsers around, so keep yourself hydrated.

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

BBC currently reporting 30 degrees for Fairford over the weekend of RIAT. I have also read some reports of getting up to 40 degrees, however i think this is unlikely as that would be a good few degrees over the current UK record. I live in Scotland and the north south divide is definitely getting wider with regards to climate. Very rarely do we get above 20 degrees up here!

verreli

Post by verreli »

Hot nights too. Still can't rule out a short heavy shower caused by the heat so it may be worth remembering to take a poncho too. Sun cream and a hat are must's though.

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

verreli wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 9:12 am
Hot nights too. Still can't rule out a short heavy shower caused by the heat so it may be worth remembering to take a poncho too. Sun cream and a hat are must's though.
As long as the hotel’s air conditioning is working I’ll be fine 😂 ❄️
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

snicker01 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 8:55 am
BBC currently reporting 30 degrees for Fairford over the weekend of RIAT. I have also read some reports of getting up to 40 degrees, however i think this is unlikely as that would be a good few degrees over the current UK record. I live in Scotland and the north south divide is definitely getting wider with regards to climate. Very rarely do we get above 20 degrees up here!
I presume that 'report' of 40 degrees came from either the Sun, Mail or Express, in which case consider it to be overblown rubbish.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

duffspeed wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 9:53 am
snicker01 wrote:
Wed 06 Jul 2022, 8:55 am
I presume that 'report' of 40 degrees came from either the Sun, Mail or Express, in which case consider it to be overblown rubbish.
It was one of the weather models, they’re expecting somewhere within a range from 27-40 they can’t pin it down at the moment

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Weather has started to go downhill already according to BBC, with some clown deciding there may be some clouds on Wednesday and Thursday now. Never celebrate too soon!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

nai12

Post by nai12 »

We are using the viewing village for the 1st time this year on the Friday.
Does anyone know if you can use a small pop up tent in the viewing village to keep the kids out of the Sun/Rain?

Berf

Post by Berf »

People did last time I was there... but things change

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Got my factor 50 & Factor 30 suncream today. I think I will need it.

Regarding small tents, yes, there was people there with them in 2019. These were taken from the Grandstand over-looking the Village.

nai12

Post by nai12 »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 2:49 pm
Got my factor 50 & Factor 30 suncream today. I think I will need it.

Regarding small tents, yes, there was people there with them in 2019. These were taken from the Grandstand over-looking the Village.

Excellent, cheers for the info.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I've got my 5th attempt at a Virgin balloon flight on Thursday 14th from Bristol, so very glad the weather's finally playing ball.

Thanks to DBH for arranging the weather, much appreciated :-P
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Won’t the wind direction push you straight into Fairford’s zone?

verreli

Post by verreli »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 5:14 pm
Sure beats the Fairford Eye though.

CJS

Post by CJS »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 07 Jul 2022, 5:14 pm
With a bit of luck yes :rofl:

Due to take off around 1900 so I'd have thought we'll get some lovely views of the static park without getting impaled by a passing Typhoon :grimacing:

(actually it's unlikely we'd get anywhere near that far, but they do often drift over our house, which is pretty much on an as-the-crow-flies line between Bristol and Fairford).
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"