Aussie is visiting you poms again, I need some help please.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Brenden S

Aussie is visiting you poms again, I need some help please.

Post by Brenden S »

Hi all. I am again coming back to the motherland to have some tea and scones with King Charles III. I am staying down in Birchington in Kent. I rock up on Monday and leave in November.
I am planning to head to Heathrow on Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd Oct for some geeking. Pending on the weather I will try and fit in RAF Hendon as well.

What museums (apart from Manston) is there in Kent that is easy to get to, or aircraft to see? Stuff that is not really known.

I am planning to head to Lincolnshire on the 2nd November for the Lancaster run. Does anyone have any handy tips?

Lastly while we are up that way I am going to try and convince the department of war and peace to drop into the Yorkshire museum to see Graham and the meteor, and the Halifax. She said if I was lucky we could stop by RAF Coningsby, but I said I would prefer the museum.

If any of you are around, it would be great to meet you and perhaps have some nice proper cask ale.

Cheers.

broadstairs

Re: Aussie is visiting you poms again, I need some help please.

Post by broadstairs »

Well there is Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge and the site at Capel-Le-Ferne for the Battle of Britain Memorial. Both very close and you can google them for details and opening times. Also Brenzett Aeronautical Museum Trust at Romney Marsh.

Stuart

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

Thanks Stuart, I have done the BBM and Capel-Le-Ferne, both good museums. The Brenzett museum is a new one, so I will put that one on the list.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

There's always Biggin Hill museum and a chance to see Spits/Hurries airborne !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

As mentioned above, Biggin Hill could be interesting - they do also offer tours around the Heritage Hangar (starting from £49).

Just on the fringes of aviation, Chatham Historic Dockyard and Hornby Hobbies Visitor Centre may or may not be of interest to you.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

There's a collection of broken bits of aircraft at Headcorn too.

There's also the Eastchurch aviation museum in Sheppey, not sure how but I've never visited it which I really should considering its significance to aviation history.

When did you last visit Manston? It's come on quite a bit in the last few years.

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

I was at the Hornby visitor centre last time I was here in 2019.
Biggin Hill I did in 2017 (I would love to go back but the department of war and peace has other ideas)
Manston was in 2015

The Chatham Historic Dockyard and Eastchurch museum I have not been too.

Thanks for your suggestions all.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

If you do head up N you could always pop in for lunch/a drink at The Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa on the way up/down or combine it with a trip to the BBMF hangar at Coningsby. The hotel bar served as the officers mess for 617 Sqn during the war and they have a nice collection of dambusters memorabilia in there as well as the 617sqn memorial just down the road.
PS the beer at the Petwood is good too. 😉
Last edited by Tangoringo on Tue 18 Oct 2022, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Brenden S wrote:
Tue 18 Oct 2022, 1:09 pm
I was at the Hornby visitor centre last time I was here in 2019.
Biggin Hill I did in 2017 (I would love to go back but the department of war and peace has other ideas)
Manston was in 2015

The Chatham Historic Dockyard and Eastchurch museum I have not been too.

Thanks for your suggestions all.
If you do make it to Chatham, which I highly recommend (the dockyard not the town!) then just around the corner is the excellent Royal Engineers museum which if memory serves has a Harrier GR3 as well as loads of other interesting stuff

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Not aviation related but as you're staying in Birchington, the Powell Cotton museum is a very interesting place to visit.

Also if you're looking for anything WW2 and slightly aviation related you've got the Ramsgate tunnels and the tunnels at Dover castle which are fascinating. Further afield you've got the parabolic listening devices spread along the coast down near Lympne.