Sunday at Damyns Hall UPDATED

Sunday at Damyns Hall UPDATED

Postby FOTO4 on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 9:20 pm

A good, interesting well attended event.
My thanks to Dave for getting me up there to take the aerial views.

Last edited by FOTO4 on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOTO4

Re: Sunday at Damyns Hall

Postby UKTopgun on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 9:42 pm

Nice shots, you must have been live side for a few of those...
This was a good little show, has the potential to grow year on year i think. Mike Pickin is a maturing young display pilot and he gave a lovely routine in the Jungmann. He shows just what an aerobatic aircraft it is... (and his dad Richard gave a nice cameo in the cap 232 very late on when most had gone!)
Speaking of late, the Dakota of BBMF was due early afternoon but was tech until it flew in when only a few hardened enthusiasts and a dog were left, just goes to show, always stay til the bitter end if you can!
Can't get used to seeing a stunted mustang that sounds like a flymo though :0)

The eindekker replica was amazingly low at times, just clearing bushes, he then went off to Kent I believe, then returned with an engine problem, staggered back over the Thames and requested a straight in approach, at one stage unsure if he would clear the last set of power lines before the threshold, but made it with a lot to spare in the end.

Kent spit was good but not as amazing as last year as I recall, not much looping or rolling this year, and seemed a bit more distant. Does anyone know who flew her this year, was it Dan Griffiths again?

All in all, a real gem of a show, and because it attracts mainly tank lovers and wannabe soldiers, the crowdline is always nice and clear too! Well done Damyns Hall, more next year please :0)
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Postby Dave S on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm

Dan flew it on Saturday, AMAZING!!! Sundy was a diferent pilot, not so amazing

Nice pics Richard !! cant believe you managed to get the aerial ones whilst sliding about on the back seat shooting through a crack in the window!! well done!

Yep the Eindecker is broke :( The Belt reduction bearing blew up and spat its guts out alowing the prop to swing about and hit the cowling and the belt was almost off. the vibration was so intense the airframe needs a thourough inspection, the ailerons were a blurr with the vibration and i thought i was going for a swim in the Thames for a while!!

Cheers

Dave
Dave S

Postby Flyforfun on Mon 09 Aug 2010, 11:40 pm

Glad you made it safely back from Bickley Dave . :smile:
Flyforfun

Postby FOTO4 on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 5:59 am

Dave, pleased that you didn't have to swim in the Thames and got back to Damyns Hall ok.

A few more aerial shots from the back seat,

FOTO4

Postby FOTO4 on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

Last edited by FOTO4 on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOTO4

Re: Sunday at Damyns Hall UPDATED

Postby jimbob1194 on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 5:40 pm

Lovely set, from what looks like a nice little event. :clap: :biggrin:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.
jimbob1194

Postby SEMAE on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 5:41 pm

Lovely set of photos. I think you had a conversation at the show with someone beside me who I know.

Cheers

Martin
SEMAE

Postby FOTO4 on Tue 10 Aug 2010, 6:00 pm

Yes, Martin I was indeed having a conversation with the gentleman next to you, I apologise for not knowing his name but we have met several times at Headcorn.
FOTO4

Postby FOTO4 on Wed 11 Aug 2010, 6:47 pm

FOTO4

Postby colper on Wed 11 Aug 2010, 8:21 pm

Excellent set Richard,portrays the day perfectly.I particularly like the aerial shots,looks like it was a good day.

Colin
colper

Postby planemadbird on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 8:57 pm

Fantastic set of photos Richard :clap: Great to see how popular it was :smile: I do like the aerial shots, they give a real feel for the size and variety of the event :smile:
'Little friend,little friend,we are gonna have to bail out,will you standby and count the chutes?'
planemadbird

Postby JAB on Thu 12 Aug 2010, 11:02 pm

Dave S wrote:Dan flew it on Saturday, AMAZING!!! Sundy was a diferent pilot, not so amazing

Nice pics Richard !! cant believe you managed to get the aerial ones whilst sliding about on the back seat shooting through a crack in the window!! well done!

Yep the Eindecker is broke :( The Belt reduction bearing blew up and spat its guts out alowing the prop to swing about and hit the cowling and the belt was almost off. the vibration was so intense the airframe needs a thourough inspection, the ailerons were a blurr with the vibration and i thought i was going for a swim in the Thames for a while!!

Cheers

Dave

Dan Griffiths is a fantastic Spitfire pilot ,saw him fly TE184 at Detling for the county show it was brilliant , bit different to other spitfire display this what he flys like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTZAfXta7ww

Anyway nice shots Richard what aircraft you in for the aerial views and are those real spitfire's and hurricane in the 2nd batch of shots in 4th aerial view ?? and one last thing is that the Sterman you saw at headcorn a few weeks back,

ATB
James
Supporting WZ507.

The Americans claim victory right at the end.
As ever.
JAB

Postby PhilW on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 6:28 pm

Liking the aerial views. They give a totally different perspective. :clap:

James, simple answer, no!

The Hurricane is the plastic TFH one which comes with the 'Smartfires', and the pretty girls. One 'Spitfire' was a really well made replica, and the other is made from a shed! And, in fact, is closer to a shed in appearance than to a Spit! :grin:
PhilW

Postby Petedcollins on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 9:44 pm

It was def Dan on the Saturday as i caught him on departure from Biggin on Saturday ;)

Petedcollins

Postby JAB on Fri 13 Aug 2010, 11:41 pm

Yeah was thinking that Phil but was not sure as its too far to see thanks anyway for the info, Nice shot Peter
Supporting WZ507.

The Americans claim victory right at the end.
As ever.
JAB

Return to Airshow Photos