Yeovilton - My 20 year return

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
zoomer

Yeovilton - My 20 year return

Post by zoomer »

I usually dont post pix on forums as I rarely have the time to even check out the latest news, but I thought I'd pull my finger out for once and put up a few quick edits.

The last time I went to Yeovilton was with my late Father probably 20 years ago, and I always remembered the Commando Assault finale as being awe inspiring. I've been planning to get down there for a show weekend for years, but until 2012 it never fitted the schedule or the weather was dire! So this year I made a commitment and booked the latter part of last week off, doing a round trip starting with the Farne Islands for Puffin photography, then on to the Armour and Embarkation military vehicle event in Dorchester (I was one of the official snappers for it), and calling by Yeovilton when I could fit it in between! I am now exhausted, of course...

As expected the Commando Assault was impressive and I enjoyed seeing it both on the friday and saturday. I missed most of the airshow as I was in Dorchester for the morning, but I got two goes at the Commando Assault - one in full sun, the other in full cloud! Shame, as some of the potentially better compositions were on the show day, but in cruddy light. I've chucked a couple in in mono here anyway.

It was also nice to meet a few people both days, but I'm useless with remembering names so PM me if we spoke.
I wore a yellow hi-vis jacket on friday, and was unnecessarily lugging a step ladder around on sunday...

Hope you enjoy the selection...

Friday commando assault, in great light :

A few from saturday with grottier weather, plus a Tonka that whizzed past when I arrived:

Phil
http://www.depthoffieldimages.co.uk
http://www.pixstel.com

sylvancatharsis

Re: Yeovilton - My 20 year return

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Very nice set! Images 2, 9, and 15 are my picks of the bunch.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Great stuff Phil, some superb compositions in there :clap: :clap:

Was nice to meet you on Friday :)
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Nice set Phil.
I bet your glad you followed us around the 09 threshold :)
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Yes Rich, I always follow the same pro's routine of seeing what the other pro's do and doing the same, but different!

Its interesting comparing the different image sets from a few who were there that even to see the variety of views possible with a few metres to move around in!