Shuttleworth - 05/10/14

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
J.Smith photography

Shuttleworth - 05/10/14

Post by J.Smith photography »

Here are my shots from a fantastic airshow at Old Warden, can't get enough of the place, one of the best airshow venues in the country :smile:

Hope you like them, and thanks for looking

C+C welcome

Exiler

Re: Shuttleworth - 05/10/14

Post by Exiler »

Nice set, very much an improvement on previous offerings.

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

Seeing as you are so keen to give others "constructive feedback" I thought I would go through yours...

1. Too Small in frame and late in capture
2. Small in frame
3. Too dark, needs Exp boost
4. Dark and small in frame
6. Underexposed
7. Underexposed
16. Small in frame and really B&W? Think that would work better on 19 where you missed the exposure and lost the bulk of the colour.

Others are ok, 14 & 18 are your best captures but I cant tell how how sharp they are from the small picture, alot of the others are small in frame, perhaps indication that your focal length isnt long enough.

Pete

J.Smith photography

Post by J.Smith photography »

Petedcollins wrote:Seeing as you are so keen to give others "constructive feedback" I thought I would go through yours...

1. Too Small in frame and late in capture
2. Small in frame
3. Too dark, needs Exp boost
4. Dark and small in frame
6. Underexposed
7. Underexposed
16. Small in frame and really B&W? Think that would work better on 19 where you missed the exposure and lost the bulk of the colour.

Others are ok, 14 & 18 are your best captures but I cant tell how how sharp they are from the small picture, alot of the others are small in frame, perhaps indication that your focal length isnt long enough.

Pete

Cheers for the feedback

1&2. easy to crop in on them and they are sharp enough to do so, but I don't have a lot of time to edit them atm

3. looks perfectly exposed on my monitor

4. once again easy to crop in on and sharp enough to do so, just I lack the time to do it, and the exposure looks fine on my monitor

6&7. I already had the camera set to over expose by two stops, just it didn't seem to work, I never get good photos of that Hunter

16&19. I am happy with how those shots came out tbh, they weren't meant to be closely cropped pictures of the comet that everyone seems to have

I was lacking some focal length due to using a full frame camera (Canon 6D) and only a 300mm L lens. However the images have came out so sharp that I could easily crop in on them if I had the time to do so

Petedcollins

Post by Petedcollins »

This is where abit of photographic principles comes into use

I shoot in full manual

ImageOld Warden by Pmanuk, on Flickr

Just a note that when editing on a monitor always take into consideration the brightness of it vs a print brightness. The pictures I pointed out will show dark on anything other then a high res, bright monitor.

As for being small in frame just bear in mind that when you print that on a4 or whatever (if you have any intention of making prints or use of the photos) that you need to keep the DPI high enough to avoid loss during the print and you should aim for the aircraft to fill the majority of the frame, you dont have to go ultra close for impact or scale, but you also shouldnt have to squint for the picture either.

Examples

Granted this one is sitting low in frame as I couldnt get the clone out of the oiks in the field quite right

ImageOld Warden End of the Year Show 2014 by Pmanuk, on Flickr

But you get the idea.

Never said my pictures are perfect but they do for me and I've had a number published over the years, But I think when you are in the business of throwing out criticisms like "my shots were considerably better" then you should make sure that they are. As I said a couple are not bad, but you have alot to improve on before, in my opinion, you should throw stones at those also into the hobby as an amateur

That said hopefully some of my points will have sunk in a little.

Pete