Greek open days November (photo heavy)

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
RobS

Greek open days November (photo heavy)

Post by RobS »

Every year in November, during a few days, all bases of the Hellenic Air Force are open to the public. There are only small static shows with locally based types, preserved airplanes and some visitors as a bonus. Photography is allowed, but rules are strict. With some careful planning you can visit 8 bases in 3 days, raking together an impressive loot.

This a photo report of a trip, (very well) organized by 4Aviation. I can't thank our two trip guides enough for their efforts.

Larissa, 5 November
Based here are RF-4E's and F-16C/D's. Only five recce-Phantoms remain in use today (we saw four of them) and they will be retired by May next year.
ImageRF-4E Greek Air Force

ImageF-16D Greek Air Force

We managed to arrange a tour to the 'storage' area on the base. Some 15 Phantoms and other retired jets are here waiting for the end of days.

Nea Anchialos, 5 November

At Larissa nothing remained unseen, but Nea Anchialos was different due to a nuclear task of the based F-16's.
ImageGreek Air Force

ImageMirage 2000 Greek Air Force

ImageAB205 Greek Air Force

Tanagra, 6 November
Home of the Mirage 2000's and many preserved airplanes. A nice static! We went back on 8 November for a short second visit.
ImageMirage 2000 Greek Air Force

ImageF-16D Greek Air Force

ImageF-102A Greek Air Force

Dekelia-Tatoi, 6 November
The flying school is based here, but the open day was held in the air force museum. A T-41 was the only operational plane on show.
ImageHU-16B Greek Air Force

ImageTF-102A Greek Air Force

Ten Grumman Schweizer Ag-Cats are in storage (= rotting away) next to the museum.
ImageAg-Cat Greek Air Force

ImageT-41D Greek Air Force

Elefsis, 6 November
Transport- and VIP-base of the HAF.
ImageEMB145H AEW&C Greek Air Force

ImageC-27J Greek Air Force

The holy grail for me were the CL-215's. They were high on my wishlist and I was not disappointed. There was even some flying. One took off and two landed when we were on the base.
ImageCL-215 Greek Air Force

Kalamata, 7 November
Training base with one more unique type: the T-2 Buckeye. The 40 year old dinosaurs are so secret that photography of the flightline behind the static was strictly forbidden. Guards in civilian clothes kept an eye on us.

ImageT-2 Greek Air Force

I couldn't resist the temptation...
ImageT-2 Greek Air Force

Oh and they have T-6's too.
ImageT-6 Greek Air Force

Andravida, 7 November
Phantom Town Greece. 338 and 339 Mira will operate the F-4E for another 5 to 10 years, at least that's what a pilot told me.
ImageF-4E Greek Air Force

ImageF-4E Greek Air Force

The rumours we heard were true: there were Egyptian F-16's at Andravida. According to the intake cover (removed for the photo) it's from 75th squadron at Gianaclis AFB near Alexandria.
ImageViva l'Andravida!

ImageF-16C Egypt

Araxos, 7 November
F-16's again. The A-7's were retired in 2014 and were towed to a dump area on the far side of the base. We arranged a short private trip to area and counted some 50 Corsairs.
ImageF-16C Greek Air Force

ImageA-7H Greek Air Force

And some Starfighters rotting away.
ImageF-104G Greek Air Force

Thanks for watching!
Rob

steved

Re: Greek open days November (photo heavy)

Post by steved »

Great pictures, looks like you covered all types there. Particularly like the wrecks & relics. :clap:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

A fascinating article,thanks for posting
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Great selection - must see if I can do this trip sometime..
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

gvla

Post by gvla »

HAF 348Mira RF-4E farewell at 05/05/2017

http://hellenicspotters.blogspot.gr/201 ... ntoms.html

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Quality stuff!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Stunning set, Greece is an absolute gold mine when it comes to interesting aircraft types! And that Buckeye :drool:
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

RobS

Post by RobS »

Thanks guys.

A great country for seeing unique stuff. And if they don't come to you, go to them.
There may be some kind of event on May 5th at Larissa, but the people there weren't sure. A mass formation won't be part of that, because only three Phantoms will be airworthy by then. The squadron will retire two in January. :sad:

Cheers, Rob

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

RobS wrote:Based here are RF-4E's and F-16C/D's. Only five recce-Phantoms remain in use today (we saw four of them) and they will be retired by May next year.

Any idea if they'll be an Open Day / Retirement Event for the Phantoms in May? :love: