"Miss Velma" Remarkable feat of Airmanship (Photos back)

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Miss Velma Remarkable feat of Airmanship Duxford

Post by UKTopgun »

The Duxford Oracle at it again ;o)

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

DerekF wrote:While not condoning those standing where they shouldn't, it is up to the OP what he does with his photos. No-one else. If he wants to sell them ,share them, delete them, it's his call.

Looks like deleting them was the option he was bullied into. What a shame.

tink_norfolk

Post by tink_norfolk »

Morning,

If people wish for the images back for conversation other than trolling/digging at others then I will consider posting them again after the school run.
However please note:-
-Images are & will not be used by the media with our premission.
-Images were not taken along the extended centreline area, but as previously attempted to be described away from point with a 600mm lens.
-Images are there to assist with stopping rumours not for negative views on any ones actions in what has been an incident which could have easily had a different outcome.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

DerekF wrote:
DerekF wrote:While not condoning those standing where they shouldn't, it is up to the OP what he does with his photos. No-one else. If he wants to sell them ,share them, delete them, it's his call.

Looks like deleting them was the option he was bullied into. What a shame.

Agreed Derek, perhaps Boff instead of ignoring the blatantly obvious could explain again how the O'Hagan 'filter' works on this board?

Reds Rolling

Re: Miss Velma Remarkable feat of Airmanship Duxford(Photos

Post by Reds Rolling »

Thanks for reposting the pictures, they're a fantastic set; and remember the ONLY opinion that counts here regarding what is posted is that of the staff, and not some nobody with a massively overinflated sense of self importance. :up:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Well done for reposting them. As I said before they are your photos and you can do what you want with them. Don't let others dictate what you do with your own property.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Thanks for reposting* Tink and not bowing to the Nazis on here who want to stamp out discussion and exchange of information and sharing photos.

*(the photos were still available to view anyway as Tink has his Flickr in his signature)

tink_norfolk

Post by tink_norfolk »

DerekF wrote:Well done for reposting them. As I said before they are your photos and you can do what you want with them. Don't let others dictate what you do with your own property.

Derek & Red's Rolling, & speedbird,

Thank you for comments regards the re-posting of images. As per my post above I would like to point out again:-
"However please note:-
-Images were not taken along the extended centreline area, but as previously attempted to be described away from point with a 600mm lens.
-Images are there to assist with stopping rumours not for negative views on any ones actions in what has been an incident which could have easily had a different outcome."

I have not intention to make a penny out of the misfortunes of others. I am just trying to show the actions which in my view potentially saved the lives of motorists using the M.11 yesterday and this I potentially being over looked by some on here.

The pilot is a credit to all those who fly, whether at a display or just for pure pleasure.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

tink_norfolk wrote:
DerekF wrote:Well done for reposting them. As I said before they are your photos and you can do what you want with them. Don't let others dictate what you do with your own property.

Derek & Red's Rolling, & speedbird,

Thank you for comments regards the re-posting of images. As per my post above I would like to point out again:-
"However please note:-
-Images are there to assist with stopping rumours not for negative views on any ones actions in what has been an incident which could have easily had a different outcome."

I have not intention to make a penny out of the misfortunes of others. I am just trying to show the actions which in my view potentially saved the lives of motorists using the M.11 yesterday and this I potentially being over looked by some on here.

The pilot is a credit to all those who fly, whether at a display or just for pure pleasure.

Fair enough and admirable, but be aware there are some very unscrupulous "photo agencies" who will be scouring aviation forums today, and will have no qualms whatsoever about lifting your pictures and selling them without you even knowing. Or seeing any of the money. Other UKAR members have been stung like this is the past.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Interesting photographs, which I hope for your sake you don't sell to the media. This is not something to profit from, and we all know what tone the papers will take. And how you will be forever viewed among fellow enthusiasts.

The only people these pictures should be going to are the AAIB and the aircraft's owners.

Just who do you think you are?

The photographs were taken from a public place. The photographer is perfectly entitled to do what he pleases with them.

The desire by some on here to to censor anything about their obsession that they find inconvenient utterly sickens me!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Personally I'd stick a big watermark on them. Interesting shots though and I'm glad to see them. Where I was on the crowd line we had no view of it once he went behind the hangers.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Interesting photographs, which I hope for your sake you don't sell to the media. This is not something to profit from, and we all know what tone the papers will take. And how you will be forever viewed among fellow enthusiasts.

The only people these pictures should be going to are the AAIB and the aircraft's owners.

Just who do you think you are?

The photographs were taken from a public place. The photographer is perfectly entitled to do what he pleases with them.

The desire by some on here to to censor anything about their obsession that they find inconvenient utterly sickens me!

Because the UK airshow industry is walking on thin ice as it is. The less negative press out there the better.
Last edited by G-CVIX on Mon 10 Jul 2017, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

G-CVIX wrote:Personally I'd stick a big watermark on them. Interesting shots though and I'm glad to see them. Where I was on the crowd line we had no view of it once he went behind the hangers.

Indeed, not a fan of watermarks, but in this case I'd say it was prudent.

Thoughtful_Flyer

G-CVIX wrote:
Because the UK airshow industry is walking on thin ice as it is. The less negative press out there the better.

It is an activity that, by its very nature, takes place in public. Improving safety is the answer, not trying to hide anything that is inconvenient.

A few people on here being, at best, wildly over protective or in some cases overly self important are not going to stop this sort of article.....

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/ca ... y-13306595

Opinions will vary about whether this type of safety record is acceptable. At one time Formula 1 had a terrible carnage rate but they do seem to have got it under control. Similar debates can be had about horse racing.

58Hustler

Post by 58Hustler »

Nobody was killed,indeed nobody even got injured.These are old and maintenance intensive aircraft and these things happen and will continue to do so.
This is why contingencies are in place in case such occurrences transpire.
Kevin (the 'OP') was in the right place at the right time and he capitalised on the opportunity as would I have done.
Anybody that knows the 'OP' as opposed to making assumptions, will be aware that he is far too conscientious an individual to be concerned about profit and/or sensationalism.
He merely wanted to share some very interesting pictures of a dramatic event that (thankfully) had a happy outcome.
Far too many bloody do-gooders start to preach rubbish every time this happens, one wonders if jealousy is a factor.................
If a man speaks when he is alone in a forest and there are no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sundowner

Post by Sundowner »

Thanks for reposting the pictures.

Thoughtful_Flyer

58Hustler wrote:Far too many bloody do-gooders start to preach rubbish every time this happens, one wonders if jealousy is a factor.................

Quite!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

What a great set of pictures, :clap: well done and thanks for sharing.

keithnewsome

Post by keithnewsome »

For once I wholeheartedly agree with Jason's post from above .... Very well worded and to the point !
Well done Tinky .... Good days work !

Keith :smile:

GeorgeP

Re: "Miss Velma" Remarkable feat of Airmanship (Photos back)

Post by GeorgeP »

An excellent display of airmanship, indeed, and thanks for posting the images of what turned out to be a bruising experience for Miss Velma but, thankfully, no injury to the pilot.

As I watched the aircraft abandon the approach to the runway, it sickened me to think that a fellow pilot who had entertained me during the course of the weekend may soon be seriously injured, or killed. I did hold some hope for him because I did not hear an impact, nor was there any smoke. It was not until I was at the shuttle-bus stop that the official word came through that he was OK. We were so relieved to hear the good news!
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

DonaldGrump

Post by DonaldGrump »

58Hustler wrote:Nobody was killed,indeed nobody even got injured.These are old and maintenance intensive aircraft and these things happen and will continue to do so.
This is why contingencies are in place in case such occurrences transpire.
Kevin (the 'OP') was in the right place at the right time and he capitalised on the opportunity as would I have done.
Anybody that knows the 'OP' as opposed to making assumptions, will be aware that he is far too conscientious an individual to be concerned about profit and/or sensationalism.
He merely wanted to share some very interesting pictures of a dramatic event that (thankfully) had a happy outcome.
Far too many bloody do-gooders start to preach rubbish every time this happens, one wonders if jealousy is a factor.................

Said do gooders have a deep rooted need to find a platform on which they can attempt to place themselves in authority over the minions and plebs of the parish. These mishaps provide just that. It is simply another manifestation of the ancient practice of penis waving.

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Obviously some quick decision making that saved the day - well done that pilot for getting it down out of harms way and in one piece.

If I was PM I'd personally authorise a 1000 metre tunnel for the section of the M11 SE of that roundabout!

Not sure what else to say really, that wont inflame an already dire situation :(

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

DonaldGrump wrote:
Said do gooders have a deep rooted need to find a platform on which they can attempt to place themselves in authority over the minions and plebs of the parish. These mishaps provide just that. It is simply another manifestation of the ancient practice of penis waving.

Is it ironic that you feel superior to those, that you feel, think they are superior ?
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

DAS/ADLERAUGE

Post by DAS/ADLERAUGE »

There are too many incidents with historic aircrafts in this year! The French Spitfire and Red Bull Cobra are sadly on the list. :sad:
Big :clap: that the pictures don't go to the media! Otherwise the media tells us in every article how dangerous our hobby is. Mishaps achieve the best revenue! :mad:

Andover

Post by Andover »

Why don't they bring into force: Take-offs only westwards, landings only eastwards, so no LOW flying over the M11? Any display flights over the M11 would have sufficient height to clear it.