DanO @ Fly Navy III

DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 1:01 am

A rum old airshow this. Decided late on Saturday to go on the strength of the weather forecast, and to try and get the Lancaster "round the bend" again. In the end a show which was hugely enjoyable, simply because it's Shuttleworth, but equally deeply unsatisfying because it promised to be so much better than it actually was. Star items went up early in the poorest light, too many of the heavy warbirds were "boom-and-zoomed" leaving very limited photographic opportunities, and the "corner" was clearly out-of-bounds, for reasons unknown. Star performers were the Dragon Rapide, for a superb take-off and genuinely entertaining display, the Lancaster for at least trying to give us what we wanted and the beautiful Moraine MS.317 - a really lovely aeroplane and one I'd like to see at Shuttleworth on a regular basis.

Let's hope the bend is back for the next show, as without it displays at Old Warden lose an awful lot of what makes them so special. NIMBYism was the rumour...

More pictures to be added, but a few that jumped out on a first pass:

Imagenavy014 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

ImageNavy005 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy010 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy011 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy013 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy003 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy021 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy020 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy002 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy016 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy007 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy009 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy018 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy012 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy008 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy006 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy017 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy004 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Tbolt on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 7:25 am

Really great set of shots. It was frustrating not to get a Swordfish topside.
User avatar
Tbolt

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Tuckat on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 9:28 am

Lovely, sharp photos and interesting subject matter. Cant help but giggle at the first one though, is he the strongest bloke in the world? ... a giant? ... a supersize model collector? or perhaps the subject of a caption competition. Very clever photo, thanks for sharing.
I must have been keen on her...………… I took her to see India...……………... at The Oval
User avatar
Tuckat

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby AlexC on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:00 am

Tuckat wrote:Cant help but giggle at the first one though, is he the strongest bloke in the world? ... a giant? ... a supersize model collector?


If it had been me I would have been yelling 'get out the way!' (but only inwardly of course!) but you've used the opportunity to obtain something better and rather amusing!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Stagger2 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:07 am

Great shots from a event that was 'dying' on programme content & weather forecast issues. Just goes to show!
I spent the day nearer the tower & was spitting-wild that only the Anson broke left to fly the cross-runway axis. Why? Allegedly due to complaints from the adjacent village due to displays overflying their dwellings! :facepalm:
This if true, does NOT bode well for Shuttleworth or numerous other venues, where their wimpish NIMBY attitude affects so many on so few occasions? Simple solution for the manic Locals is go out for the day, or move-house forever! :loser:
Totally agree with comments regarding self-indulgent displays by the Wildcat, Corsair & especially the RNHF/Navy Wings Sea Fury which provided the least engaging display of the day! For photographers only the last pass for any of these 3 presented an opportunity to get a decent shot. Not Good! :tumbleweed:
Stagger2

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:41 am

Very nice pics indeed - lots of colour and life about them. The Gazelle shot is excellent, I was too busy snapping the red one to notice.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby cg_341 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 11:57 am

Stagger2 wrote:Totally agree with comments regarding self-indulgent displays by the Wildcat, Corsair & especially the RNHF/Navy Wings Sea Fury which provided the least engaging display of the day! For photographers only the last pass for any of these 3 presented an opportunity to get a decent shot. Not Good! :tumbleweed:

Bloody good job the pilots don't do it "for the photographers" then!
cg_341

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm

Stagger2 wrote:Great shots from a event that was 'dying' on programme content & weather forecast issues. Just goes to show!
I spent the day nearer the tower & was spitting-wild that only the Anson broke left to fly the cross-runway axis. Why? Allegedly due to complaints from the adjacent village due to displays overflying their dwellings! :facepalm:
This if true, does NOT bode well for Shuttleworth or numerous other venues, where their wimpish NIMBY attitude affects so many on so few occasions? Simple solution for the manic Locals is go out for the day, or move-house forever! :loser:
Totally agree with comments regarding self-indulgent displays by the Wildcat, Corsair & especially the RNHF/Navy Wings Sea Fury which provided the least engaging display of the day! For photographers only the last pass for any of these 3 presented an opportunity to get a decent shot. Not Good! :tumbleweed:

I would stop short of calling them "self-indulgent" displays, personally, especially so when the pilot of the Wildcat has given us some of the very best Shuttleworth topsides I've ever photographed, including the Spitfire at the previous show, the Hurricane at the season premiere and two shows last summer. He also flew a lovely topside in the Wildcat anyway, so is certainly someone that tries to keep everyone happy with his displays. All it needs is more pilots like him to offer the audience both elements in their display. I'd prefer a nearer 50/50 split, rather than one or two passes at the end of a 7 minute aeros display, but at least he tries to keep everyone happy.

I will certainly agree with you that the RNHF Sea Fury was a massive let down though. I was expecting something more like this...

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 12:31 pm

Both Furies were massively disappointing yesterday, as were the bulk of the heavy warbirds. As Dan says, a mix between aerobatics and "photo passes" should be the Gold Standard pilots aim for. "Self-indulgent" is maybe harsh, but certainly in Chris Gotke's case yesterday one got the impression he was more keen on enjoying himself than showing the crowd his Sea Fury up-close.
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 2:49 pm

Another pass of the memory cards, and that's me done...

Imagenavy023 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy050 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy037 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy042 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy038 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy051 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy032 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy044 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy025 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy041 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy049 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy036 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy033 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr

Imagenavy035 by DanOUKAR, on Flickr
Last edited by Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby danspuggti on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 4:12 pm

Love the shots of the Gazelles :up:
Was good to see a 2-ship display from the team.
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!
User avatar
danspuggti

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby boff180 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 6:47 pm

Got to be honest Dan, on my calibrated monitor a lot of these shots appear dark with a lot of the detail lost in excessive shadow. Looks like the camera exposed the sky rather than the subject. They are sharp though.
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 6:51 pm

boff180 wrote:Got to be honest Dan, on my calibrated monitor a lot of these shots appear dark with a lot of the detail lost in excessive shadow. Looks like the camera exposed the sky rather than the subject. They are sharp though.


On my PC they do look a little dark, but that's not at all the case on my two Apple devices with Retina displays. :dunno:
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby jalfrezi on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 7:04 pm

If your Retina displays have 'Auto adjust brightness' enabled, this will also change the gamma, which is possibly why they appear differently on your Apple devices. Some people recommend turning it off.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208433/why-is-auto-adjust-brightness-washing-out-my-retina-display-on-el-capitan
User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby boff180 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 7:09 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
boff180 wrote:Got to be honest Dan, on my calibrated monitor a lot of these shots appear dark with a lot of the detail lost in excessive shadow. Looks like the camera exposed the sky rather than the subject. They are sharp though.


On my PC they do look a little dark, but that's not at all the case on my two Apple devices with Retina displays. :dunno:


I find my Retina Apple devices all show images to be brighter than they actually are, even my new iPad Pro does it and it's supposed to have a true-tone calibrated display as standard.
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby rambo on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 7:54 pm

In fairness DanO, the pilots probably see your photo's, and think "Whats the point of giving topsides when its amateur hour down there" :lol: :lol:
rambo

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 8:07 pm

rambo wrote:In fairness DanO, the pilots probably see your photo's, and think "Whats the point of giving topsides when its amateur hour down there" :lol: :lol:


Tell you what, come back when you've mastered the apostrophe.
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Blackbird on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 9:02 pm

The first Lanc topside in the second set is a cracker :clap:

Andy :smile:
User avatar
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby rambo on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 9:38 pm

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
rambo wrote:In fairness DanO, the pilots probably see your photo's, and think "Whats the point of giving topsides when its amateur hour down there" :lol: :lol:


Tell you what, come back when you've mastered the apostrophe.


HAHAHA, I'll assume that's "point taken" on your behalf then, seeing as that's all you had to cry about!

I guess I could come back with something like "Tell you what, come back when you've mastered the art of not being an obnoxious, airshows are only organised to impress myself, I'm a better pilot than most display pilots, ****", but its pretty obvious anyway :)
rambo

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Georgeconna on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 9:41 am

rambo wrote:In fairness DanO, the pilots probably see your photo's, and think "Whats the point of giving topsides when its amateur hour down there" :lol: :lol:


LOL :grin:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.
Georgeconna

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby MiG_Eater on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 10:23 am

rambo wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:
rambo wrote:In fairness DanO, the pilots probably see your photo's, and think "Whats the point of giving topsides when its amateur hour down there" :lol: :lol:


Tell you what, come back when you've mastered the apostrophe.


HAHAHA, I'll assume that's "point taken" on your behalf then, seeing as that's all you had to cry about!

I guess I could come back with something like "Tell you what, come back when you've mastered the art of not being an obnoxious, airshows are only organised to impress myself, I'm a better pilot than most display pilots, ****", but its pretty obvious anyway :)


What a weird comment...

I think these pictures are decent, no darkness issues with me. I guess they are darker than some i've seen but it comes down to taste.

Nice to see some photos that give a bit of the OW atmosphere as well.
MiG_Eater

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby UKTopgun on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 1:45 pm

Displaying very dark on my Retina display, Spitfire almost a silhouette!
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby GeorgeP on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 10:34 am

Nice set, as usual. All look fine to me and I suspect that the Spit was meant to be a silhouette. Love the mix of people and machine images.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums
User avatar
GeorgeP

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 11:45 am

GeorgeP wrote:Nice set, as usual. All look fine to me and I suspect that the Spit was meant to be a silhouette. Love the mix of people and machine images.


Thank you George.

Indeed the Spitfire is intentionally backlit. Good to see this forum does still have some users with double-digit IQs.

A lot of the darker ones are the aeroplanes coming from right-to-left, the direction of the sun. The lack of topsides round the bend necessitated that - I only tend to bother to photograph aeroplanes with the cockpit/pilot visible. But hey, let's not let that get in the way of a bit of the dim bulbs and their DanO-baiting eh?
User avatar
Dan O'Hagan

Re: DanO @ Fly Navy III

Postby blackcat on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 1:15 pm

Look Good to me,
User avatar
blackcat

Next

Return to Airshow Photos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests