Aero Legends / Headcorn Battle of Britain Airshow (UPDATED)

Re: Aero Legends / Headcorn Battle of Britain Airshow

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 12:54 pm

An excellent event which is superb value for money. One almost hopes this doesn't become *too* popular a show and ruin the character of it. To have that number of warbirds close-up is a rare treat, even if the flying is rather distant and detatched.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 10:36 pm

I don't suppose anyone will care, but went back again for day two. Ignoring the FIVE hour return journey, man alive this thing was good!

Douglas C-47 Skytrain 42-100882 (N473DC) 'Drag-'Em-Oot' - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Boeing A75N1 Stearman 441 (G-BTFG) - TG Aviation Ltd - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXc MK356 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Stampe-Vertongen SV-4C G-AWEF - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

I've seen nothing from Shuttleworth that makes me regret spending my weekend in Kent. You rarely get a chance to get this close to the BBMF on the ground, and that alone made it worthwhile. It's nice to have a change too - as much as I love Old Warden, it was really refreshing to be somewhere else. The flying display was no comparison to Shuttleworth, but nowhere is really. You just have to take the photos you can get and for the money paid, this was the bargain of the century.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 10:45 pm

Wish I'd gone back for the second day now - that over-the-shoulder picture of MK356 is splendid. The penny really does seem to have dropped with the BBMF this year, with some brilliant displays flown. Hopefully they'll operate away from home more frequently too - though it was a real shame they didn't park '356 with the other machines out on the line this weekend.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby jalfrezi on Sun 01 Jul 2018, 11:16 pm

Nice shots Dan, really like the low down shots of the Spitfire and Hurricane from Saturday. :up:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Blackbird on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 7:41 am

Two great posts :clap: I do like the final shot of the Stampe - great panning.
Rather looks as though I made a bit of a mistake going to the Air Britain fly in when I could have gone to Headcorn!

Andy :smile:
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 8:08 am

Blackbird wrote:Two great posts :clap: I do like the final shot of the Stampe - great panning.
Rather looks as though I made a bit of a mistake going to the Air Britain fly in when I could have gone to Headcorn!

Thanks Andy.

Air Britain looked like it had some decent visitors this year, but the entry fee of £12 was nearly double what I paid for a two-day ticket for Headcorn. It was a wonderful weekend with some fabulous aircraft, and I would thoroughly recommend it to you for future years.

Their 'Combined Ops' show is on in August, so it may also be worth keeping an eye on that show to see what's on the list.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

Nice compositions Dan, MK356 looks fantastic in her new scheme.
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Postby grant_w on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Blackbird wrote:Two great posts :clap: I do like the final shot of the Stampe - great panning.

Thanks Andy.

Air Britain looked like it had some decent visitors this year, but the entry fee of £12 was nearly double what I paid for a two-day ticket for Headcorn. It was a wonderful weekend with some fabulous aircraft, and I would thoroughly recommend it to you for future years.

Their 'Combined Ops' show is on in August, so it may also be worth keeping an eye on that show to see what's on the list.

The RAF Chinook is going to be at Combined Ops on one of the days
grant_w

Postby Tonka 617 on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 10:21 am

Some stunning photos, looked like a great show
Tonka 617

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 2:15 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I don't suppose anyone will care...

I do!

Looks like a charming event, and these are a very sweet set, as are Dan's. I can almost smell the hot oil. Lovely.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Flyforfun on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

I found it a bit disappointing the formation warbird stuff and I hate to say it was boring, the only time it came alive was when the 109 appeared and there was someone who knew how to do a display.... fast low and using the height available .
The BBMF display was good and the Dak.
Flyforfun

Postby AlexC on Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:53 am

Very good. I sometimes wish that I still lived at Tonbridge rather then the New Forest.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 11:52 am

Probably pissing into the wind here with the amount of RIAT threads, but I've finally finished sorting through two days worth of images from Headcorn. In terms of flying, it was slim pickings with a 70-300, but the ground and runway ops were rich with such a lovely backdrop and so many fine warbirds.

For those that may not have seen, my review was published last week:

Saturday shots first:

Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IXe TD314 (G-CGYJ) - AeroLegends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Britten-Norman BN-2A Islander G-AXUB - Headcorn Parachute Club - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth G-PWBE - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IXe TD314 (G-CGYJ) - AeroLegends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Stampe-Vertongen SV-4C G-AWEF - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

North American T-6G Harvard 4 493209 (G-DDMV) - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Flt Lt Charlie Brown, Supermarine Spitfire T Mk.IX NH341 (G-CICK) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Flt Lt Charlie Brown, Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597 (G-MKVB) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire T Mk.IX NH341 (G-CICK) - AeroLegends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597 (G-MKVB) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII P3700 (Z5140 / G-HURI) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I P3717 (G-HITT) - Hurricane Heritage - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII P3700 (Z5140 / G-HURI) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXc MK356 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXc MK356 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Douglas C-47 Skytrain 42-100882 (N473DC) 'Drag-'Em-Oot' - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Fiesler Fi-156 Storch (F-BDXM) - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Fiesler Fi-156 Storch (F-BDXM) - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

ImageSupermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IXe TD314 (G-CGYJ) - AeroLegends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Percival Prentice T.1 VR259 (G-APJB) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 12:02 pm

And now the Sunday shots. Spent the second day at the top of the runway near the threshold to get a different angle on the show, and also allowing me a clear view of the runway. The warbirds were all parked in front of the crowd at the eastern end of the airfield, where I'd spent the duration of Saturday, which blocked a lot of runway shots.

Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IXe TD314 (G-CGYJ) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Pilatus PC12 G-KARE - Graham Aircraft Hire Ltd - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Stampe-Vertongen SV-4C G-AWEF - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth G-PWBE - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

De Havilland DH.82A Tiger Moth K4259 (G-ANMO) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII P3700 (Z5140 / G-HURI) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.XII P3700 (Z5140 / G-HURI) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hawker Hurricane Mk.I P3717 (G-HITT) - Hurricane Heritage - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597 (G-MKVB) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire T Mk.IX NH341 (G-CICK) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Douglas C-47 Skytrain 42-100882 (N473DC) 'Drag-'Em-Oot' - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Percival Prentice T.1 VR259 (G-APJB) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXe MK356 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb BM597 (G-MKVB) - Historic Aircraft Collection - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Canadian Car and Foundry T-6 Harvard Mk.4 28521 (G-TVIJ) - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Canadian Car and Foundry T-6 Harvard Mk.4 28521 (G-TVIJ) - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

North American T-6G Harvard 4 493209 (G-DDMV) - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Douglas C-47 Skytrain 42-100882 (N473DC) 'Drag-'Em-Oot' - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 WK518 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

De Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 WK518 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Cessna 208 Caravan G-GOHI - Headcorn Parachute Club - Headcorn, June 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.IXe MK356 - Battle of Britain Memorial Flight - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Boeing A75N1 Stearman 441 (G-BTFG) - TG Aviation Ltd - Headcorn, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Supermarine Spitfire HF Mk.IXe TD314 (G-CGYJ) - Aero Legends Ltd - Headcorn Aerodrome, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Apologies for the number of pics! :hide:
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Aero Legends / Headcorn Battle of Britain Airshow (UPDAT

Postby FastJetsBest on Wed 18 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm

Great set. You really do get some unquie close up shots. Best ones for me is of the Spitifre MK356.
FastJetsBest

Return to Airshow Photos