A bit of Bucharest - report & pics

A bit of Bucharest - report & pics

Postby zigzag on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:47 am

What a show this was, given the grounding of the Mig21 LanceR fleet until a couple of days before the show I was in two minds whether travel or not, in the end with most of my costs sunk into flights I decided to travel, and I'm very glad I did, it was one of the most enjoyable shows I've been to in years, it reminded me of why I like airshows, and brought home just how stale, mundane & boring the UK airshow scene can be.

Fridays arrivals & practices were viewed from a nice spot in a building site, whilst I was on the airfield for the show on Saturday. Entrance to teh show on Saturday was to simply walk in to the airfield, no tickets, no security, no queues, all very simple and relaxed. The static park contained 2xMig21, F16, Puma, C27, Mi17, all from Romania, from the US 2xF15C & a Blackhawk, German & Italian Typhoons, Greek Mirage 2000, Casa 295s in support of flying acts from Poland & Spain, Nata E3, Austrian Saab 105, a Romanian built Bac 1-11, a number of AN2s, and a large number of small aeroclub type aircraft, and after a quick tour and some record photos I plonked myself on the crowdline ready for the show.

The flying display started gently with 3xBN2 in formation not something you see everyday, and during the next 5+ hours we were treated to a tac demo from the Romanian Airforce which included 4xF16 + C130 + 12xPumas, some madness from a Kamov KA26, a number of Romanian aerobatic teams (including Hawks of Romania & White Wings), Czech & Hungarian Gripens, Spanish F-18, Team Iskry, the Turkish Stars, from Romania a pair of Alouettes, more Pumas, and more F16s, a single blink and you’ll miss fly through from an RAF Typhoon, the Air Bandits flying YAK52s, a coupel of solo aerobatics performers, the Red Bulls (Corsair, Trojan, B25, 2xAlphas, Bo105), An2s loaded with parachutists, and a Tarom B737 I think that was about it flying. Having started around 9 am the flying displays went through until around 3pm. Photography from the crowdline was excellent, the display line waaaaaay closer than at home, sun behind (though was cloudy milky sky for a large part of the day until towards the end of the daytime show). But what really impressed was the real energy in all the displays, things were thrown around, tight to the crowd, the pilots were having fun and not worried by overly cautious display constraints, there were multiple aircraft at speed all at the same time, close up, whilst some head-on approaches to the crowd were pulling up almost on the crowd line. It was entertainment it brought out the spectacle, speed, and power of the flying machine.

Following the flying display there was a break of an hour or so which I used to refuel, food offerings were good and varied from whole bbq'd trout through to woodfired pizza via quality burgers & wursts all at under £5, and then retreated to the shade of the numerous beer tents where cold beer and soft drinks were all well under £2, :heyhey: :dizzy:

I was enjoying myself but better was to come with the afternoon/evening show which was more or less a repeat of the morning show but with a thumping soundtrack played at 11, pyros, great light working its way through to darkness and more beer. It was airshow entertainment at its best, acts like the Air Bandits team with pyros and huge explosions to loud music as dark fell were quite simply brilliant (something I never thought Id say about a Yak52 team), the Romanian F16s and Pumas were pumping out flares, the Red Bulls were superb with graceful smoke trails and music, gliders at dusk with pyros on the wings somehow made sense, that parachutists dropped again this time with flares. There's music, there's a party atmosphere, the crowd are dancing, the crowd are drinking, everyone is having fun, it feels like a festival not an airshow, the Spanish Hornet displays in superb golden light, the whole place is rocking, the commentators get the crowd to cheer for more, the Gripens are tearing up the place, I’m shooting from 20 yards back from the front at 300mm and doing just fine. What a show, best atmosphere I’ve been in, and it was a show, it was entertainment, simply outstanding, I’d forgotten I went there to see Mig21s. To close the show at about 9pm I was expecting the C27 with a flare dump, but instead we had a huge firework display instead (something to do with 10 years of the show and 100 since the founding of modern Romania), I love fireworks and these were great, again adding to the fun of the whole day so I wasn’t too bothered about the C27 no-show. With an 8am flight the next day I declined to stay for the rock concert that followed the fireworks and walked 15 mins back to my hotel.

Anyway, that’s a brief report of the flavour of the event, but this is in the photo section so on with the pictures………........

ImageBucharest 2018 by Andy Kenyon, on Flickr

PS not sure why this is but the images are a whole lot sharper on Flickr, so if you like them take a look there (there more of this show there too)
Last edited by zigzag on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT
zigzag

Re: A bit of Bucharest - report & pics

Postby Airwolfhound on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

Lovely shots and great report, I do love those Socats :-) :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Jakesplanes on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm

I tossed up between CIAV In Croatia or this. I caught MiGs, but dang. Think I chose wrong. Great pictures, thanks!
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby Dr Cake on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 8:33 pm

Absolutely fantastic report/photos. Most certainly one I need to do...…..

Any sign of semi-literate men in black and large dogs with no knowledge of county council footpath closure notices and/or laws of the land?
Dr Cake

Postby zigzag on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 7:02 am

Dr Cake wrote:Any sign of semi-literate men in black and large dogs with no knowledge of county council footpath closure notices and/or laws of the land?

:lmao: no, just a few friendly builders in vests & shorts, with not a hard hat or hi-viz in sight

And thanks for the comments all, as you can probably tell I would heartily recommend this show
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT
zigzag

Postby Screechy on Mon 15 Oct 2018, 2:33 pm

Very tidy set, loving those low light flares.. bravo
Screechy

Postby st24 on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 6:26 pm

These are great Andy, an excellent set of images. Looks a great event, glad it worked out for you... :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Return to Airshow Photos