North Weald 'JetFest' (UPDATED)

Re: North Weald Jet Fest Day 1 - Gnat F1

Postby Blackbird on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 4:25 pm

Nice shots Dan :clap: - thanks for posting.

Is it airworthy yet, or only taxiing at the moment?

Andy :smile:
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 4:30 pm

That was the first taxy run today, so I suspect there will be more to follow and some tinkering before it flies. We'll hopefully find out more tomorrow - tried to keep myself at arms length today as the TimeLine event was on which I wasn't a part of and I wasn't sure if I could "mingle" as I usually would.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 4:44 pm

Flipping Heck! what a pleasant surprise to see it, looking like that!

Great scoop, and I can't wait to see this little gem.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby Ledhead27 on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 6:09 pm

What a smashing looking jet, didn't realise it would look quite so different in comparison to a Gnat T1. Lovely photos Dan!
"FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, DroneMan Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes
Ledhead27
UKAR Staff

Postby Ryan. on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 6:17 pm

Fantastic. :clap:

Great to see that the Gnat Display Team are able to bring something different to the UK display scene. Especially considering it's a classic jet. Very much looking forward to seeing it over the weekend.
Ryan.

Postby PeterR on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 7:21 pm

Lovely photos Dan. Brilliant looking machine, lets hope she flies over the winter ready for next summer! :rock:
PeterR

Postby Big_Gareth on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 8:40 am

Lovely looking aircraft, shot #2 is great.
Big_Gareth

Postby jalfrezi on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 9:44 am

Nice shots Dan, I missed this as I was stuck on the M11. :sad:
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby Tommy on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 12:54 pm

Lovely to see that. Nice work, Dan.
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 7:48 pm

Good day out today. A little slow on jet movements as the ground crews had to relocate the entire lot halfway across the airfield and that was going on for a long time. Talking to the engineers tonight, they're shattered, and they've got another day with potentially more flights to look forward to tomorrow, so please do go along and support their event.

Hangar 11 were an added bonus today, so started the day helping Peter and his crew reshuffle the hangar to get the Mustang out to go to Kemble.

A selection of random shots follows. Still more to process from the last two days.

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Gnat by DanB, on Flickr

Hindustan Gnat F1 E2961 (G-SLYR) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-RORI / XR538 - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

IMG_2320 by DanB, on Flickr

BAC 167 Strikemaster Mk.80A (G-RSAF) - North Wales Military Aviation Services Ltd - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: North Weald 'JetFest' (UPDATED)

Postby Blackbird on Sat 29 Sep 2018, 8:13 pm

Nice set Dan - I thought it was you I saw as I wandered around today!

It was an enjoyable, if low-key event. Good, relaxed atmosphere helped by brilliant weather :biggrin:

Andy :smile:
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Postby Jakesplanes on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 7:02 am

Really nice to see the Gnat finally moving. I have a real soft spot for these after working in Bangalore a fair few years back. There’s a few airframes still at HAL and of course plenty of their own Ajeet, the HAL developed version. A very capable jet, known over there as the Sabre-killer. Best wishes to all the team on getting her in the air.
IG profile "jakesplanes"
Jakesplanes

Postby tankbuster81 on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 7:22 am

Great images, heading off their this morning. Looks like the Bronco was a no show?? Nice and sunny again, hoping for a pleasant uncrowded day.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby AMB on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 11:59 am

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Flipping Heck! what a pleasant surprise to see it, looking like that!

Great scoop, and I can't wait to see this little gem.

Yes but after all this time, they still haven't painted on the fuselage Indian AF roundels or the serial? :whistle:
Adrian
AMB

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:06 pm

They bent over backwards to get it in a suitable condition to ground run this weekend. There is still work to be done on it. Be grateful.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Stagger2 on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:31 pm

F1 doesn't have a Civil Registration yet either! :up: I'll take a taxying Jet over a properly marked-up one any day. :facepalm: Plenty of dead a/c with authentic markings in museums? :wink:
Well done to all the Team for making it available for Saturday & especially Chris Heames for the his small excursion. Great to see. :clap:
Stagger2

Postby 8674planes on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 1:37 pm

Stagger2 wrote:F1 doesn't have a Civil Registration yet either!

It's registered as G-SLYR
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"
8674planes

Postby AMB on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:24 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:They bent over backwards to get it in a suitable condition to ground run this weekend. There is still work to be done on it. Be grateful.

They've had for FOUR years! If they can paint the rest of the markings in that time and have an 'unveiling' this weekend, how hard can it be to get the markings finished?
Adrian
AMB

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Sun 30 Sep 2018, 10:56 pm

AMB wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:They bent over backwards to get it in a suitable condition to ground run this weekend. There is still work to be done on it. Be grateful.

They've had for FOUR years! If they can paint the rest of the markings in that time and have an 'unveiling' this weekend, how hard can it be to get the markings finished?

Yes, but in those four years they've also had a fatal accident and the subsequent groundings to deal with, amongst other things, and two others to keep airworthy alongside the other aircraft they look after in their hangar. It is not finished, and it took a lot of effort to get it presentable in time for this weekend.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Stagger2 on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 12:50 am

8674planes wrote:
Stagger2 wrote:F1 doesn't have a Civil Registration yet either!

It's registered as G-SLYR

Damn! I thought I was picky. Subject is lack of Military markings. Yes it has a civil registration, but not in 6 inch characters applied all down it yet! Jeez!
Stagger2

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 1:22 pm

Final selection.

IMG_2239 by DanB, on Flickr

IMG_2254 by DanB, on Flickr

BAC Jet Provost T.5 XW325 (G-BWGF) - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

BAC Jet Provost T.5 XW325 (G-BWGF) - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Aero Vodochody L-29 Delfin G-DLFN - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Aero Vodochody L-29 Delfin G-DLFN - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Hindustan Gnat F1 E2961 (G-SLYR) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Westland Scout AH.1 XW283 (G-CIMX) - Army Air Corps Historic Flight - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

BAC Strikemaster Mk.82 425 (G-SOAF) - North Wales Military Aviation Services Ltd - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

BAC Strikemaster Mk.82 425 (G-SOAF) - North Wales Military Aviation Services Ltd - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

BAC 167 Strikemaster Mk.80A (G-RSAF) - North Wales Military Aviation Services Ltd - North Weald Airfield, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Folland Gnat T.1 G-MOUR / XS102 (XR992) - Gnat Display Team - North Weald, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

IMG_2341 by DanB, on Flickr
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby AlexC on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 3:14 pm

Crikey, they've got some good stuff at North Weald now, I haven't been there in a long time, I had no idea!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 7:41 pm

AlexC wrote:Crikey, they've got some good stuff at North Weald now, I haven't been there in a long time, I had no idea!

It's not all based there. The Strikemasters, L-29 and JP5s were all visiting for the weekend and the AHAF Scout is maintained by Weald Aviation.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby AlexC on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 6:56 pm

Ah OK. Taking those away, it's still an impressive place! I seem to remember in the dim distant past getting there by the tube, the underground, but that may just be a false memory! :shock:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Next

Return to Airshow Photos