Tommy's 2018 MAGA thread - Heavy! *Updated*

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Tommy's 2018 MAGA thread - Heavy! *Updated*

Post by Tommy »

Howdy. Do people still say that? Did people ever say that?

Long time lurker, sometimes poster.

I've had a very turbulent 12 months, both inside and outside of the hobby. My move to Cardiff last year seems to have been successful, and I graduate from the intense and frankly bloody slogworthy university course next weekend - and started a new job in the fine gem of South Wales, and moved into a new house with the GF and have two little kittens which are busy ruining curtains and chewing everything.

Inside the hobby, lack of funds and spare time this year has meant I haven't been able to get about as much, but I still experienced my fair share, and I've enjoyed stuff. Really desperate for a trip abroad again, though. I did try and hang up my UKAR spurs last November, not wishing to be a dead-weight-staffer, but the rest of the team wouldn't let me for reasons I still haven't got a clue about. However, it was an absolute pleasure to continue to write for this place. I'm particularly proud on a personal level of the Scampton airshow debrief - to some it may not have been much, but I felt it answered a lot of questions (and asked a few more). To my knowledge no-one else has really put questions to DBH about the show, and as a snapshot in time, I'm glad I was able to. And I'm glad TomG and AndyA at DBH were able to sit down with Andy and myself for that meeting.

Looking forwards, I'd quite like to do more hard-hitting (but always courteous and professional) interview/analysis for this site.

On another personal note, it was bloody hard work, but I was glad to take over the "Live Arrivals" from Andy this year for RIAT. Feels like I barely took breath during those three days, my eyes either glued to my viewfinder or my phone, but I'm glad we had a *relatively* hitch-free ride.

Anyway, it's that time of year, and I'm sure many other more competent photographers will follow, but nevertheless here's a "season retrospective" as PlanesTV used to put it.

This post contains airshows and modern (and now not so modern!) Mil - Mods, hope you don't mind.

Two weeks into the year, the last of the legacy Lynx machines were retired. In pretty fine fettle, I must say, from the AAC. It wasn't ground-breaking or unmissable, but as a nice salute to a faithful mount, it was a nice way to retire an aircraft, good special tail and all. Their tour flew various locations around the south, these are from Upavon:

ImageLast growl by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSuspended in a sunbeam by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageOrder of Battle by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageCat D by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Then, not even a week later, I managed to pop down to Yeovil to catch the second RNoAF Merlin on delivery, which fated better than the first machine delivered the previous November! After that early morning stint, I popped to Yeovilton for a day at the fence - it's been so long since I spent some time at the fence, and was rewarded with some very nice stuff from the Junlgie versions of the same. If you can bare the cold and unpredictable weather, winter-spotting is awesome. The low-light all day looks so lovely compared to the flatter summer light we're used to

Image2nd Time Lucky by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageWild Westland by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageJungle Rumble by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageMerlin Magic by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Exams in February put a stop to most stuff, but who remembers the snow in March! Not had it like that for some years, and personally I love it. So, once my parents' place in the hills above Welshpool ad been snowploughed, I managed to *just* get there for a Loop trip - with the Tornado retirement looming, I couldn't waste an opportunity and risk it for the chocolate biscuit that is a Tornado low-level in the snow. I've been going to the Loop for years - Dad used to take there often, but I've never had such a trecherous climb up to the top shelf of the Bwlch as I did that day. The snow was up to my knees, and if I didn't have a decent idea where the path and rocks were, I wouldn't have even tried. But try I did, and I was the only one up there that day. I thought it was a waste when I heard Typhoons and the USAF binning their attempt off and RTB, but Marham delivered not once but twice, and I'm so glad that they did:

ImageMighty Finland by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageStorm in a T-Cup by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSnowed In by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageTankless T by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Next up in May was a Cosford press-launch which once again UKAR were invited to. I've been to a couple, being the local boy, but those days will probably be over, given my move, but I went one last time with Ian to try and get what information we could about this year's event. Nice to speak to TomM who turned up in the back of the Chinook. And indeed, nice to speak to the crew, with whom I had a personal connection this year. Funny how small the world is

ImageNew Girl by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageThe Right Idea by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageGreen Machine by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageCrew-up by Tom Jones, on Flickr

My first actual show turned out to be Cosford, a month later. Exams put paid to all of the Shuttleworth goodness that took place, to say nothing of the other shows around. Day one was spent on the station platform with familiar faces, day two inside.

ImageSAR-Me-Happy by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageMillenial Falcon by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBoB Nod by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageIronwings by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImagePolish Gas by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageHonourBadge by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageTeichman Tip-In by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageRAFale100 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_9508 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_9955 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7177 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_7221 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDSC_9311 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

And to Weston - lovely Weston. A cheap and decent seaside airshow - light was balls and the display line felt a lot further away, but a charming summer event to attend, and just the tonic I needed at the time. Nice to see a Danish Fennec there - they always seem to catch some decent foreign chopper or two.

ImageHurrigunner by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageFox in the weeds by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageWeston Whirlwind by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageShawbury Shore by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSea-51 by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageOh Man! by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Yeovilton was next up. A great show again, despite the common back-lit conditions. Nice to see a small return to the Commando Assault finale.

ImageRollin' by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageOld Ways by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageReturn of a Champ by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Anyone who has never been to Yeovilton and hears the regular criticism of static barriers - this is what we mean:

ImageTooManyZoos by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Award for the best static:
:worship: :worship:
ImageGift-wrapped by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageWild chat by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBlackBravo by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageJunglie Jax by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Then swiftly on to RIAT - oh my god where on earth do I start with that.. Probably warrants its own thread, really but here we are:

Tuesday:

ImageKwakapproach by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBigBanner by Tom Jones, on Flickr

What could have been :sad:
ImageMarineMelt by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageMissed Op by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Thursday
ImageThe Knife's knife-edge by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageGiant's return by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageCooking Meatbox by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageNavyJink by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSentPartrol by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Thursday:
ImageSmartieCereal by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageThe last by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBeast from the East by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageAbsolute Unit by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSu-Brake by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Friday didn't yeild a huge amount, but was fun nonetheless
ImageFrocket by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDicey Dass' by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageEdaymn! by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Saturday was a lot better weather-wise
ImageSlidingSlov by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageAnTing by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSuper Su by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageExchange Student by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDiamond Deltas by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Image+++ by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageFinnicky Finns by Tom Jones, on Flickr

And Sunday was great!

ImageBirthday Missile by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Got to say, I was mightily impressed with the F-35s appearances over the weekend, both the B and A.
ImageTo The Moon by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageHill Climber by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageLead with the chin by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageNew Dog, Old Tricks by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Thank god they used a spare jet!
ImageCanted Canuck by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBrightFalcon by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageGiantClass by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageFinnFlip by Tom Jones, on Flickr

And Monday, which was a rather tame affair this year tbh, but maybe that's because I was just exhausted.

For the final time:
ImageOne Last Time by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageRock the Boat by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageThunder-stealer by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSplinterHunt by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageMarked Exec by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Then a significant blank as further exams took place, and then just before my (successful!) results day, I attended the last show of the year to distract myself, and distracted I was. A great way to underline the 2018 season. My, how I had missed that place this year

ImageSooperSecret by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageAR Return by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageBlue Sky Thinking by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Image"Ran through a field of wheat..." by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageElegance Defined by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageOblique, on Fleek by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Honestly, though, on the photography side, I haven't quite been feeling the mojo. Everything has felt a bit stale, and what creativity I have managed to have a crack at, I'm not really happy with. Something I'll have to work on next year, for sure. It's only reviewing this thread that it's basically a load of topsides and little else - I'm bored by my own stuff!

C&C very welcome as always. Also as always, well done if you've made it this far!

Cheers,

Tom

speedbird2639

Re: Tommy's 2018 MAGA thread - Heavy!

Post by speedbird2639 »

Tom

I think you are being too hard on yourself. Nothing much wrong with these that I can see. The main trouble with our hobby (or at least the photo side of it) is we need the light to be exactly right at the moment we press the shutter and if it isn't there is only so much you can do to improve it in post production editing.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Agreed, think you might be being a bit too hard on yourself. I’ve honestly found this to be one of the more enjoyable photo threads to go through in a long time. The helicopter stuff is lovely (especially the RNoAF Merlin and the 4 Lynx at the start) and the MiG-29 burners shot is superb. :clap:

Of course, you’ll have your own standards for your own photography but personally, I’d be really happy with this Tom. :smile:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

TL;DR
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I think you're being a little harsh on yourself, Tom. You've got some really nice pics, it's certainly not all topsides! I really like the helicopter pics, and no words are needed for the Tonka pics. :win:

I'm going to offer one bit of advice - some of the pics do look a little dark, like they're underexposed?

Oh, one more bit of advice, go to shows where the light is better - you'll enjoy the results far more.....

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

A nice series of shots Tom, great to see :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

They all look pretty damn good to me!

I was at Yeovilton this year, first time in quite a number of years. As far as the barriers were concerned, I think that they were even worse then I remembered. Also, there must had been quite a bit of development going on as I hardly recognised the place.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

CJS

Post by CJS »

The second one is sublime, the shot of PT's entrance into Cosford is really dramatic, the snowy Tonkas are worth a mention just for the effort to get them, quite apart from how good they are as photos, and the nose shot of the Lancaster is just razor sharp.

And that's just the highlights of the highlights, it's a cracking set, well done sir. :clap:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Some great images Tommy, the Tornados in the snow are awesome :up:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Tommy's 2018 MAGA thread - Heavy! *Updated*

Post by Tommy »

I'm late responding to this, but thank you all for the lovely comments. Perhaps I have been a bit hard on myself, but I'm keen to try and be a bit more creative in 2019.

As a small update, I managed to escape work for two days this week (the joys of a "use it or lose it" leave system). Originally Dom and I were supposed to hit the Loop on Thursday, but weather made us decide to bin it off (good thing as I'm not sure anything actually went through), and I came back down south and visited Yeovil yesterday determined to salvage something.

As days on the fence go it was about as lucky as I could have been, Philippine Wildcat (one of only two on order, and their first true ASW helicopter), Italian Caesar, and the Brazilian Lynx which I've been after for the past 18 months, which I understand is not going to be around for much longer.

A HC4 was also due to fly but picked up an electrical fault and was relegated to ground-running for 30 mins.

Seems little point in me starting another thread for all this so, the fruits of a very good day at the fence yesterday:

ImagePipLynx by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageCervia Commando by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageNeighbouring Terf by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageDark Knight by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageSouthern Samba by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageEmperor's New Clothes by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageClassic Wheels by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageUpgrade Complete by Tom Jones, on Flickr

ImageAnti-Sub Debut by Tom Jones, on Flickr

Thanks all - have a merry Christmas, and best of luck with some avgeekery next year!

Tom :smile: