Tanagra 2019- Phantoms and Buckeye

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
strayer

Tanagra 2019- Phantoms and Buckeye

Post by strayer »

I spent three days in Greece for the arrival days for the Athens Flying Week in September.
Managed to get photo's of Phantoms and a Buckeye amongst others so thought I would share a few.
Hope you enjoy them
gary

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

sovietjet

Re: Tanagra 2019- Phantoms and Buckeye

Post by sovietjet »

Amazing shots! :shock:
Ivan Voukadinov

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Stunning :dizzy:

Andy :biggrin:

LAHarve

Post by LAHarve »

Great images, the first one is really exceptional, nice composition. Was that an organised air to air sortie for a magazine?

Mike

Post by Mike »

LAHarve wrote:Was that an organised air to air sortie for a magazine?

Commercial, paid shoots from a Skyvan are available for enthusiasts for the arrivals days of several of the big European shows including Tanagra, as well as RIAT and Yeoviltion in the UK.

LAHarve

Post by LAHarve »

Mike, if that's the case, and I had got that first shot what ever the price I would have been extremely pleased.

Mike

Post by Mike »

LAHarve wrote:...what ever the price...

The price is a fairly high number of thousands! :shock:

It's a great opportunity for those that can afford it though, and the OP certainly seems to have made full use of it with some excellent shots.

harkins

Post by harkins »

If I did it I'd have to sell a kidney and then I'd f@#k it up and have a load of poorly exposed blurry grainy photos with wing tips, noses or tails missing. I assume that the price isn't actually that high though is it? These air to air photos seem to make up a good proportion of photos posted on here these days.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Absolutely amazing shots of amazing aircraft in amazing light, what's not to like? :clap:
Well, amidst howls of 'jealous knob', I'm struggling to see how / why these aircraft are willing to take the time/effort/ fuel to loiter behind the Skyvan? Are the Crews promised some exotic shots? (they are certainly available!) or are they paid cash-money to do it? :dunno:
Commence louder shouts of 'envious git' but I'm seeing a trend of earthbound enthusiasts getting just straight-in full-stop landings on arrivals days. No run & break, no low-approaches, allegedly due to depleted fuel-state? At RIAT this year the Mig-21's came to an unplanned stop on the taxiway before the 27 threshold, due to running-out of fuel! :facepalm:
Can anybody with better insight to that incident confirm or deny? If true, that was a very lucky event! Can't really see a Mig-21 having excellent gliding characteristics? :whistle:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Stagger2 wrote: I'm seeing a trend of earthbound enthusiasts getting just straight-in full-stop landings on arrivals days. No run & break, no low-approaches, allegedly due to depleted fuel-state? At RIAT this year the Mig-21's came to an unplanned stop on the taxiway before the 27 threshold, due to running-out of fuel! :facepalm:
Can anybody with better insight to that incident confirm or deny? If true, that was a very lucky event! Can't really see a Mig-21 having excellent gliding characteristics? :whistle:

I don't think the MiGs at RIAT attended the Skyvan, I'm sure they routed straight in. However the point stands that the Harriers, Richthofen special, Norwegians (no west end for them) and others did long boring straight in approaches (some allegedly stating fuel issues) rather than run and breaks - maybe a further smack in the mouth for the paying punters on the ground. Would be interesting to know if RIAT receive any benefits £££££ or if its all pocketed by the company running the flights?

Lovely shots by the way, you have to love Greek Buckeyes. :love:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

ForestFan1973

Post by ForestFan1973 »

Lovely :love:

Paultojo

Post by Paultojo »

Awesome set :rock:

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Outstanding, thanks for posting :-) :clap: :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

BigClick67

Post by BigClick67 »

Phantastic! Thanks for sharing! :clap:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

Stagger2 wrote:Absolutely amazing shots of amazing aircraft in amazing light, what's not to like? :clap:
Well, amidst howls of 'jealous knob', I'm struggling to see how / why these aircraft are willing to take the time/effort/ fuel to loiter behind the Skyvan? Are the Crews promised some exotic shots? (they are certainly available!) or are they paid cash-money to do it? :dunno:
Commence louder shouts of 'envious git' but I'm seeing a trend of earthbound enthusiasts getting just straight-in full-stop landings on arrivals days. No run & break, no low-approaches, allegedly due to depleted fuel-state? At RIAT this year the Mig-21's came to an unplanned stop on the taxiway before the 27 threshold, due to running-out of fuel! :facepalm:

Pretty sure those two things aren't connected, doesn't RIAT have a "no non-standard arrivals and departures" rule?

belas

Post by belas »

An amazing set. Congratulations !