Old Warden Shuttleworth Drive-In Show 02-08-2020

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
SEMAE

Old Warden Shuttleworth Drive-In Show 02-08-2020

Post by SEMAE »

Another great show organised by The Shuttleworth Collection, superb displays by the pilots backed up by all the volunteers on the day.

I arrived at about 9.40am forgetting to check that the gates opened at 11am, not 10pm. Initially, I wanted to time my arrival to make it more likely that a will be park toward the back of Zone A where I would have a better view of the runway from a higher position.

However, on arrival, I found myself parked up amongst the last of the first group of cars parked closer to the gates. During the time to gate opening, I could see the build up of cars in another field with about 10 queue building up.

When the gates opened, I was directed to the ticket checkpoint which just happened to be the one where the scanning device was a bit slow which meant that I was the last from those group of cars to enter the showground.

Once inside, I was surprised to see cars being parked up in rows of four from the front to the back and it looked like I would be parked up towards the back after all. However, to my astonishment, a new row of four was started and I ended up being parked right at the very front.

The only downside was that there were a couple of biplanes right front of me but in the end it did not matter as prior to any flying much of the aircraft where then moved toward the hedge on the left where the runway. Then as the remaining aircraft did their display slots, others that had already displayed started to be taken back to the hangars. All this conspired to give me a good view of most landings and/or take offs during the afternoon.

A few during the day, particularly before the flying, I could see and hear some of the volunteers advising the odd person who had meandered beyond the white line to take a picture of a static aircraft, to go back to their cars.

I can well understand some people feeling put out at getting there really early to get a spot at the very front but ending up parked further back. The collection should really go back to the parking of vehicles until the first row is full rather than doing it in fours at a time.

Martin Eames

Airwolfhound

Re: Old Warden Shuttleworth Drive-In Show 02-08-2020

Post by Airwolfhound »

Very nice selection of shots :-)

We must have been pretty close together, as was also on the front row by the bi-planes you mention. I was with the Mustang.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)