Kauhava Airshow Finland August 2020

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Jakesplanes

Kauhava Airshow Finland August 2020

Post by Jakesplanes »

Finland seems to have resisted the worst of the epidemic, and despite a postponement from earlier in the summer, were still able to host an airshow this year. Located at the Kauhava airbase in South Ostrobothnia, the airshow is aimed to highlight the role that Kauhava used to play as the Finnish air forces training base, until its closure around 10 years ago. This means lots of training aircraft from past and present, and also a lot of fast jet action, making this the only place in Europe to host an international air show in 2020.
All photos are fresh out of the camera in an attempt to get them promptly for you to view, they are uncropped, un edited but hopefully will give you a flavour of the show.

Arrival of the Finnish national display team, The Midnight Hawks:

One of two ex Finnish Fouga Magisters still on the airshow circuit here:

First glimpse of the Saab Globaleye as it arrives for static display:

The Globaleye platform is being offered alongside the Gripen E model for the Hornet replacement program, known as HX.

Saab also bought spares and personnel in this 3000 airliner. A quick turnaround and she left the same afternoon.

The other of the Fouga pair landing in.

This is how we park multimillion kronar platforms in Pohjanmaa

Reflecting on a nice flight:

A slightly older sight in Finnish skies, the domestically produced VL Viima II

Finland also has a private display team called The Arctic Eagles. the operate a number of different types, landing here is their Christiansen Eagle

Continuing the vintage trainer theme, is this rather lovely Stieglitz:

A formation display team still flies graceful lines with a fourship of these ex Finnish Saab Safirs:

A first look for most of us at the latest from the Gripen stable, the E model. Saab are offering the E for the HX program.

Another angle of the E, a slightly larger and more capable Gripen.

Blasting into the circuit came two French Air Force Dassault Rafales, another HX contender.

The Special tail Rafale on landing:

I am always interested to see what support aircraft come along for the ride. They are rarely the center of attention, but always seem full of character and stories. I especially enjoyed this battered old French Transall:

Theres always time for a post flight selfie:

The last shot from the Thursday was another support aircraft late in, the Swedish C130. The Swedes operate some of the worlds oldest Hercs, and like the Transall, they've been there and they've seen that.

More pictures and story from the rest of the weekend to follow.
Last edited by Jakesplanes on Fri 28 Aug 2020, 4:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Georgeconna

Re: Kauhava Airshow Finland August 2020

Post by Georgeconna »

interesting shots!
Last edited by Georgeconna on Mon 31 Aug 2020, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Fridays shots on the way.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Continuing on from yesterdays post, Friday was more arrivals and the press day.
I arrived in the morning to find the Finnish Hornets being maintained and maneuvered into position. They are still a great looking aircraft.Image

I always enjoy shots that include some of the preperation and effort that goes into keeping these great aircraft flying

The first arrival i caught was the sole Eurofighter at the show, a Luftwaffe two seater.

The Finnish Border patrol always support local airshows very well. This Koala later made a display dropping water from an underslung scoop. There is also scheduled an appearance by the Border Guards Dornier Do228

The Swedish Saab Gripen C display jet arriving

And a Gripen D two seater heading out

Pleased to catch the practice display of the Rafale and to be in the right spot to get this burner takeoff, my shot of the weekend so far.Image

The twin SNECMAs tearing holes in the sky

and finally returning back to earth after a terrific show

The Saab Safir display team went up for a practice

Then came the headline act. Its been 5 years since I left the UK, and the news out of it has been nothing but bad in the meantime. But I have to admit, when those 10 red jets flew over, I felt something for Britain.

Getting to see the Reds through foreign eyes is an insight. To be honest, after having seen them 4 or 5 times a year for most of my life, i would use the slot to shop or eat. But it's nice to take a pause and watch them with fresh eyes. They're a great spectacle.

Coming in to the pan, line astern

All eyes on the reds

Welcome to Kauhava airshow!
More from the showdays to come!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Great pics, I’m sure I’ve seen these on another forum!
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Great to see shots from an international air show.

Interested to know what Covid19 mitigation’s are in place — one way systems, face masks? Any social distancing being enforced ?

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Sat 29 Aug 2020, 1:03 pm
Great to see shots from an international air show.

Interested to know what Covid19 mitigation’s are in place — one way systems, face masks? Any social distancing being enforced ?
Basically none, I wore a mask and the few international exhibition staff did too, but practically none of the public did. But it’s quite a different level of infection here. In this area there has been four people hospitalized with COVID. In Finland we have the joke, we can’t wait for the 2 meter restriction to be over so we can go back to our usual 5 meters.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

melodrama

Post by melodrama »

Lovely shots... all the better for being fresh out the pan. Finnish F-18 just maybe the best, most consistent fast jet show on the planet. Good to see the Reds get a show in.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

So, on to Saturday and the first of the two public air show days. No press nonsense to distract, and although restricted a little bit in where we could view from, we were still able to have the camera skyward for the whole day, and also got the chance to walk the flightline for some closer to the action pictures. Theres a lot here, so apologies for such a big post!

Finland operate the Spanish Casa 295 as their transport aircraft, and this lovely big bird was one of the first arrivals into the static display park.

Then the NH90 from the Finnish army kicked of the main display acts, its becoming quite a commonly used platform but it looks just great in the Finnish colours.

Also it let off such a burst of flares that it was worthy of two pictures, first this

and then as the helicopter dives forward, the downwash of the rotor clears the smoke from the flares, helping to get a clear shot of the aircraft in amongst the burning phospherous.

Then a walk down the flight line to see the Blues doing their preflight checks on the red jets

The obvious but still nice shot of the row of Union Jack tails.

I promised you a shot of the Border Guards gorgeous Dornier Do228 yesterday, well here it is!

The other Border Guard asset on show, the Koala with the firefighting bucket

A re-enactor in front of the Finnish DC3

The special tail Hawk celebrating 40 years of Hawk operations

A great low pass from the spectacular polished DC3

The local Hornet display taking off opens the highlight of the whole event for me

Beautiful light on the underside as the Hornet pulls G to line up for...

Drop a deluge of flares as the plane pulls over the top

Flares aplenty, afterburner... what a great display

Next up the Swedish Gripen tries to match what the Hornet has laid down, and starts off well with a burner takeoff turn

Beautiful barrel roll

Afterburner shot

And the French putting up the Rafale for another great fast jet display

Pulling straight up into a loop right out of the takeoff. Very tight, very impressive.

Giving the photographers what they want with a sunlit topside pass

On to the formation displays, led by the formation takeoff of the Midnight Hawks

Stacked

Formation diamond barrel roll

Low pass

Impressing the locals

Arrival of the reds

Head on

This fantastic tornado maneuvre

Thanks for bearing with me, hope its not too boring!
Ill go back for the departures on Monday, so one more installment to come, if you want it!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Nice shots! Mountain Hare a particular favourite of mine even in summer coat.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Well done - good to see some air display shots from this year featuring fast jets, display teams and flares.
What was the official attendance for the Show per day?
I take it the Reds has an A400 support?

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

A400M ZM406 "Ascot 4088" visited on Wednesday, presumably connected.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Its so unbelievably good to see a photo set from an international military show this year, even if I never had a hope of attending!

Dust spots aside, a lovely record of shots that really the thrill of fast jets. And how good does that Gripen E camo look!? Fingers crossed for the UK next year.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Finally, to wrap up this airshow weekend, I went along to the airfield on the Monday morning to catch the departing aircraft. Unfortunately, 9am was a little too late and I missed the fast jets which left surprisingly early. However there was still a lot of movements throughout the day.
Attendance was around 20,000 and I think considering circumstances that was pretty good.
Hopefully you have liked the pictures and will also enjoy this last installment.

First to leave during my time was this VL Vinka trainer, it left from static with the Grob Tutor, the new Ab Initio trainer for the Finnish Air Force:

Then the Sukhoi SU52 left impressively. This and a Vans did some aerobatic displays over the weekend, very nice to watch but not so easy to capture the stomach sickening moves via photographs

The Swedes showed up again to pick up what was left of their gear and personnel after a great turnout supporting this show, plus I just love these old workhorses

A bit of congestion on the ramp:

This is a phenomenon Ive wanted to capture for a long time. This French Transall on full power in the dense humid morning is mashing the air into condensation with its props. Its a really cool effect and worth me coming just for that

The Midnight Hawks leaving their old nest

The Arctic Eagles Pitts taking off home

The Red Arrows support came in the form of this A400 Atlas

The Solo display Hawk leaving:

Finally, another shot of the impressive A400. Over budget and late, its still an awesome piece of kit. Unfortunately its also not too reliable, and went tech after landing, so might well still be there! i couldnt hang around much longer to see it leave.
Well overall it was a great show, perhaps because of my desperation to get an aircraft fix, but i did think the organisers did a great job in difficult changing circumstances and they deserve our appreciation.

Best wishes from Kauhava Air Show 2020!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Many thanks for an excellent series of photos which I've really enjoyed 👏👏

Andy

CJS

Post by CJS »

Cracking stuff, thanks for sharing these :clap: