RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
verreli

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by verreli »

Berf wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 7:56 am
It will really be a show to celebrate some of the older types be they static or flying. The war has shown that advanced missile systems now rule and IMHO the older types like A10 or B52 or B1 or Fitters will be phased out more quickly than previously thought. While we know unmanned/manned aircraft like Tempest are on the way it's all going to be speeded up now.
Perhaps not for this thread but that's not what the war has shown. It shows 60's tactics don't work against modern technology. There's life in the old dogs yet (A10 / B52) if used appropriately although B1 is already slated to be replaced by B21. Tempest is already on a 'sporty' timescale and is leading edge / unproven technology so I won't be surprised when they announce the first delay.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Mustang Ray. :grin: Good addition, when/if confirmed? Very clean demonstration.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 6:24 am
To add, the PC-21s are also, if anything, more appropriate given the trainer theme.
:thumbsup:
Maybe next year there'll be an afterburner theme and the French et al will send something appropriate to that?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

While I would have loved some of the French jets, I am not going to complain about the PC21 demo. It's a new display for me that I haven't seen before and not only a RIAT debut, but a UK debut too.

Bastile day in France is the day before RIAT this year, so I assume the Fench display teams will mostly be doing domestic shows that weekend.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I'll be happy just to see the show go ahead regardless of what turns up. I just think Joe public will have a whinge if the final line up contains too many prop trainer aircraft in the flying display. The Jordanians are always slated on social media every RIAT. Time for toilet break , get the kettle on to name a few.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Joe public will be happy as long as there's a fast jet, the bbmf and the reds😉

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 1:33 pm
I just think Joe public will have a whinge if the final line up contains too many prop trainer aircraft in the flying display.
Joe Public wont have a whinge as Joe Public will accept what ever is there. It's just a minority of 'enthusiasts' that will have a whinge.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 4:12 pm
TYPHOON3 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 1:33 pm
I just think Joe public will have a whinge if the final line up contains too many prop trainer aircraft in the flying display.
Joe Public wont have a whinge as Joe Public will accept what ever is there. It's just a minority of 'enthusiasts' that will have a whinge.
But it's Joe public that moan every year on social media not enthusiasts ?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

No it isn't, it's people that think they're enthusiasts because the only like fast jets and think that's what the world should be made up of.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 4:55 pm
No it isn't, it's people that think they're enthusiasts because the only like fast jets and think that's what the world should be made up of.
Not everyone thinks they are enthusiasts. I agree they probably expect mainly fast jets though at RIAT.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 4:38 pm
Enthusiasts don't moan on social media. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 6:19 pm
TYPHOON3 wrote:
Well obviously enthusiasts do moan on social media. The point I was trying to make was that they were clearly not enthusiasts on the social media that I looked at. Sorry my fault. Seems I may have confused you how I worded it.

CJS

Post by CJS »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm
Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 6:19 pm
TYPHOON3 wrote:
Well obviously enthusiasts do moan on social media. The point I was trying to make was that they were clearly not enthusiasts on the social media that I looked at. Sorry my fault. Seems I may have confused you how I worded it.
Everybody moans on social media. That's why it's there.

For example, I fully intend to unleash my inner bitch if there isn't a massed flypast to celebrate the 68th anniversary of the Jet Provost. :imp: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :clown: :japanese_ogre: :japanese_goblin: :ghost: :bomb:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

People will cry and moan, then go to Fairford and have a great weekend.

Then go home and cry and moan lol.

I'm not a huge Helicopter fan but the Helicopters this year are fantastic and I am really looking forward to seeing them, Some very rare items hardly seen in the UK. Plenty of fast jets confirmed, likely a lot more to come and a fantastic C130/Typhoon QRA Demo never seen at RIAT before, a PC21 Tactical demo again never seen here (TBC) and IF the American's bring what is on their HF schedule I am sure there will be very few complaints.

No doubt there will be a good few 'special' flypasts this year as well with surprises still being worked on.

DBH are doing a great job, especially given it's been 3 years since a show was last held and we've had so much uncertainty.. Not every display is going to please everyone, but I am looking forward to just getting there, relaxing back in my seat for apx 20 hours over 3 days (and miles of static walking) and enjoying 3 days of a flying line-up you won't see anywhere else in the UK.

At the end of the day, RIAT is back :)

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Enthusiasts will be happy with whatever turns up. The typical 'joe' who attends but does not realise that the Lancaster is not in active service anymore will be disappointed. I think one or two more aerobatic teams would be good. And let's hope for some juicy flypasts for the USAF 75th

CJS

Post by CJS »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 8:58 pm
Enthusiasts will be happy with whatever turns up. The typical 'joe' who attends but does not realise that the Lancaster is not in active service anymore will be disappointed
This literally makes no sense.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Typical 'joe' (person who knows nothing about airshows and just attends because he is bored) they think the Lancaster is an active bomber who kills terrorists is Syria!

CJS

Post by CJS »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 9:54 pm
Typical 'joe' (person who knows nothing about airshows and just attends because he is bored) they think the Lancaster is an active bomber who kills terrorists is Syria!
OK... 👍🏼
:man_facepalming:

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

You might not believe it but thats what the majority of people attending airshows are like. They have 0 knowledge about what types are currently in use. Enthusiasts on the other hand would attend RIAT even if it was a trainer meet up.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s not black and white and it’s probably a spectrum. I know you’re exaggerating to make the point, but I doubt there are many who think the Lancaster is “in service”.

There’s a spectrum, clearly. I think for a member of public to attend an airshow, there must be at least a base level of interest for them or their family in aviation, or something if that nature such as engineering, or military interest.

There are many members of the public who, completely fairly, know nothing about aircraft and are absolutely not interested in them - but would those members of the public be splashing out on (let’s be honest, not cheap) RIAT tickets? I’m not sure I’d spend that amount of money attending something that I, nor any of my family, had any interest or even basic knowledge in.

I aver that each member of the public attending must have a basic level of interest in order to have a) heard about the show, and b) purchased tickets for it.

Now, will they recognise the differences between, I don’t know, a German NH90 compared to a Finnish example? Who knows.

But then that’s a big part of what airshows are about, aren’t they? People learn about things. For the Lancaster, they learn about history. For the Typhoon, they learn about current RAF aircraft and their job.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

I agree with Tommy, across the population there'll be a range of "aviation enthusiasm" from those with zero interest, (eg don't even look out the window on their Easyjet flight), to a medium interest (knows what a Spitfire is, and gets excited to see a Chinook in the distance), to the end of the spectrum which probably includes members of this forum (eg, flies to a foreign country to just photograph a certain airframe). Let's score them 0-10 for the sake of discussion. clearly, people at the 0 end of the spectrum aren't coming to RIAT. You need at least someone with an interest of 1 or 2 to consider going to an airshow, agreeably higher for RIAT given the price tag of a ticket. Then I believe there's an huge proportion of people who go to airshows with a genuine interest for the aircraft, who some of this forum would consider "Joe Public" but they actually show a higher level of interest that we give credit for. Yes they might not know the difference between a F-15C and F-15E, nor will they be as excited about Portuguese Epsilons as true enthusiasts, but they're still going to RIAT to enjoy seeing lots of exciting aircraft. I doubt these people are spending £60 on a RIAT ticket and not know what a Lancaster is, but I'm happy to be provide incorrect by any scientific data out there. Then, it's those at the 7-9 end of the enthusiasm spectrum who are moaning about the lack of Iranian Tomcats or hoping the KC-390 is a different registration etc etc.

What really annoys me is spotters worrying what other people think of aircraft going to an airshow. If you think the line-up is poor, say it like it is! Don't say "Well I think other people won't like it" because that's just pointless. Already it's probably one of the strongest RIAT line-ups in the last decade, based on the confirmed aircraft on the RIAT website alone. Heathy mix of fast jets, an increased selection of helicopters and some exotic trainers attracted for this year's special theme. The only thing missing in my eyes is the lack of support from the Royal Air Force and United States Air Force!

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

DeanW wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 5:05 pm
I think it's actually quite refreshing to not have the Rafale this year. Since the type's RIAT flying display debut in 2009 we've also had the solo in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 and 2018.. plus we had the Rafale M pair that year too.
When these sort of displays are at an event like RIAT year after year they really get taken for granted. The Swedish Gripen is a great example - it's a well flown and punchy demo, particularly for a small fast jet, but because it's at the show almost every year no one really pays that much attention to it.
PS: Well said that man! Variety is the spice of life and I'd rather see the new PC-21 display than the Rafale again.

knoxy17

Post by knoxy17 »

Riat is about diversity, I'm a fast jet fan but I'm really looking forward to seeing the chopper displays & the training aircraft. The way its mixed up is what sets Riat amongst the rest . I for one can't wait for the show and applaud Dbh for the job they are doing.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Maybe discussions went something like this from the French end?

"Monsieur is that DBH? French Air Force HQ here.
We are pleased to present our allies from across the channel the might have Armée de l'Air to Fairford this July
Demonstrations and flypasts featuring Mirages, Rafales and other supporting aircraft of many Squadrons that will darken you skies and forever cement Anglo-French relations”

“What is that you say? You only want us to send Training aeroplanes this year?”

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Sat 30 Apr 2022, 8:07 am
I agree with Tommy, across the population there'll be a range of "aviation enthusiasm" from those with zero interest, (eg don't even look out the window on their Easyjet flight), to a medium interest (knows what a Spitfire is, and gets excited to see a Chinook in the distance)
Slightly off topic but I've been passionately into the hobby for 30 odd years but still cant tell the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire.
Last edited by Luke28 on Sat 30 Apr 2022, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.