Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm
verreli wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:17 pm
Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm
jules48 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:47 pm
RED ALERT for weather means exactly that and is a danger to life whatever age you are.Even keeping hydrated may not help as too much water can make you ill aswell.Its people,s own responsibility to act how they think is best for them and tbh spending 8 hours watching an airshow in the heat which is going to be even higher tomorrow and monday is irresponsible and just adds to the pressure emergency services are under anyway.I would rather forfeit going then be seriously ill but certain people just act stupid and cannot be told.
A great post. I'm very surprised they haven't cancelled tomorrow. The emergency services were completely overwhelmed this afternoon and that is not responsible behaviour by the organisers. Ploughing on regardless could be very risky.
What nonsense. As much as some would like a nanny state, we're not there yet. If it's too hot for you, get out of the kitchen. Your choice.
It's not nonsense though. Emergency services really had a hard time today. I'm not making a decision for anyone, but today was unbearable and those thinking tomorrow will be fine are in for a big shock.
It might have been unbearable for you, but it was fine for me, and about 100,000 other people. The weather has been well reported and it’s now up to individuals to take some personal responsibility. If you think you are in a high risk group, then stay at home.
Certainly it was hot today but definitely not unbearable. Plenty of water, sun screen and a good hat. Today’s temp from memory was 28 or 29 and Beeb currently showing 31C for Sunday.
Mondays temp is different story, now that will be a problem.
Well said. The entertainment at Fairford on Monday is largely likely to take place between 0900 and 1300. Highest temps will probably be about 1600. So don't push your luck, know when you are beaten and take all precautions and hopefully we will all have a great morning.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

bobby 1211

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by bobby 1211 »

And I agree with one of the posts above, I am very surprised there was no bbmf and Typhoon arrival.
Voyager flypast made up for the b52 cancellation (at least for me) and well done on getting the Beluga too
As we've seen every day has had a red arrows and RAF aircraft flypast. For tomorrow I think it will be the new E-7 as there was a post saying they will present it at riat

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The RAF don't have any E-7s yet, unless my drive home this evening someone how actually took two years and tomorrow is RIAT 2025?

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Outstanding day, so good to be back. The entire display was very entertaining, but the Austrians were the best display of the day for me, the mock combat was absolutely superb.
Arrived at 7 (red route) and getting in was a breeze. Queue also moved very quickly to enter the showground and we were in before 8. Getting out wasn't bad either, left at 19:20 and was on the road in about half hour. Most people were sensible and queuing properly to leave.

Onto the weather! In all honesty, all I want is for clear blue skies and if that comes with higher temperatures then so be it. I slapped some factor 10 & 15 on, wore a hat and had 3 litres of frozen water (which was still cold at the end!). I'm a little drained/tired, but otherwise ok despite spending the full 12 hours in the sun.

To those of you going tomorrow, just be sensible and you'll be fine. There is plenty of shelter in the service areas if you need a break.

Roll on next year

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I covered up, wore a hat, put plenty of suncream on, and kept drinking fluids. I also moved as little as possible and stayed in the stand all day. It wasn't particularly pleasant but it was fine.

Tomorrow I'm going to take the morning and evening in the green zone, and keep in some shelter for a while as I know that I will not enjoy another full day in the stand & need to be in full fighting condition for Monday.

I'm very fair skinned but haven't caught the sun as I've been careful.

Unfortunately if you don't feel you can deal with it, that's your choice to make.

If the organisers feel that they can safely run the event (clearly they do) then what's the problem?

As for Monday, you have significantly less people to deal with compared to a show day.

I came here expecting to read a load of praise because that was one of the finest displays in recent memory. Absolutely cracking show.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Fantastic day as always! I got a steal of a train ticket to Didcot and cycled from there spending most of the day in Whelford I can confirm there isn't anywhere else much worth going without a ticket (and there was nowhere with shade apart from the welcome beer tent in the campsite behind the ATC). Highlights for me were the amazing and very capable Spartan, Saabs, the Black Eagles, the Reds with Boris (Liz/Penny/Rishi?) Force One and the awesome Beluga
Last edited by Zoom on Sat 16 Jul 2022, 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

cg_341 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 9:59 pm
The RAF don't have any E-7s yet, unless my drive home this evening someone how actually took two years and tomorrow is RIAT 2025?
I misread a tweet about a RAF E-7 at RIAT. It turns out they just revealed the new livery.... wonder what they have planned for tomorrow then.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 11:13 pm
cg_341 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 9:59 pm
I misread a tweet about a RAF E-7 at RIAT. It turns out they just revealed the new livery.... wonder what they have planned for tomorrow then.
Aren't they doing a flypast with the Black Eagles or has that been done?.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Yeah they are, but in my opinion there will be one more. Friday was supposed to have the NATO E3 flypast + reds and P8 flypast. Saturday had the unannounced voyager and reds flypast + Beluga. Sunday so far only had the black eagles and the reds. I hope the rumours about the B2 flypast are true because those crazy people going tommorow in the heat deserve it (and it would make sense)

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I thoroughly enjoyed the day. It was great to be back! As others have said, a good mix in the flying display and loads to see in the static, including the tremendous E-4.

Yes, it was hot, but frankly not unbearable. If the reported 28-29 degrees is right, that is do-able without a problem provided you are sensible and take the sensible precautions. We’ve already got more than enough of a nanny state. If you can’t stand the heat, stay out the kitchen!

I thought the organisation might be a bit rusty, but no. Well done to everyone at DBH and all the volunteers.
Just one relatively minor criticism - why were there potted plants needed around some of the static - the Phenom and those in that area in particular? If you want plants, go to a flower show!

I hope everyone enjoyed reacquainting themselves with the RIAT experience. I certainly did.

Andy
Last edited by Blackbird on Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

We're in the queue at Green and I've got a crazy-excited 6 year old ready to go!

Have a great day everyone 😀
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

JJC

Post by JJC »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 12:26 am
Yeah they are, but in my opinion there will be one more. Friday was supposed to have the NATO E3 flypast + reds and P8 flypast. Saturday had the unannounced voyager and reds flypast + Beluga. Sunday so far only had the black eagles and the reds. I hope the rumours about the B2 flypast are true because those crazy people going tommorow in the heat deserve it (and it would make sense)
No it wasn’t. The E-3 was due for its own series of flypasts.

However, both Friday and Saturday had (planned) flypasts from a heavy of some sort. Which does beg the question of what we might get today.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

JMC

Post by JMC »

Thats exactly what Bobby said!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 12:26 am
Yeah they are, but in my opinion there will be one more.
“Opinion” or “hope”?

There’s nothing significant unannounced on the daily flying list this morning save for a Hungarian Falcon due in/out at the end of the day (6.06pm in, 6.48pm out for those who want it).

JJC

Post by JJC »

JMC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 6:51 am
Thats exactly what Bobby said!
Apologies misread! Blame 4 days of unbearable heat and sun taking its toll on me.

Has anyone seen the Austrians selling anywhere? That’s One display I would like to meet the crews / get a patch.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Are there any departures to farnborough this afternoon/evening?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Italian 346, other than that, not much iirc.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

Thanks Tommy

JMC

Post by JMC »

Great Western what a shambles. Been stuck at Paddington for the past 30 mins. Utterly useless.

tomkil

Post by tomkil »

Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm
jules48 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:47 pm
RED ALERT for weather means exactly that and is a danger to life whatever age you are.Even keeping hydrated may not help as too much water can make you ill aswell.Its people,s own responsibility to act how they think is best for them and tbh spending 8 hours watching an airshow in the heat which is going to be even higher tomorrow and monday is irresponsible and just adds to the pressure emergency services are under anyway.I would rather forfeit going then be seriously ill but certain people just act stupid and cannot be told.
A great post. I'm very surprised they haven't cancelled tomorrow. The emergency services were completely overwhelmed this afternoon and that is not responsible behaviour by the organisers. Ploughing on regardless could be very risky.
Lovin' the irony here. Bit too subtle for some perhaps?

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Just be thankful it’s not snowing, imagine shovelling snow in this heat.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Looks like people already getting hot and bothered on here already and thats before the temperature reaches its peak.haha.enjoy.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Does anyone know who won what awards last night please?

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Chris G wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:16 am
Does anyone know who won what awards last night please?
I remember seeing the Irish PC-12 and it's crew taking photos of a reward they won yesterday- I just don't know what for

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Big Eric wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 9:06 am
Just be thankful it’s not snowing, imagine shovelling snow in this heat.
better than leaving it on the ground- it might get icy and cause someone to slip over
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019