RIAT 2023 Discuss everything thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
G-CVIX

Re: RIAT 2023 Discuss everything thread

Post by G-CVIX »

Quick (noob) question... does anyone know if the commentary is broadcast over the "Air Tattoo Live" frequency? Ie. Can I bring an FM radio and listen to the commentary with headphones? Whilst there is some commentary audible in the FRIAT stand, it did cut in and out and I'd like to get ahead of the game.

adam2628

Post by adam2628 »

It was this year, as we were listening from a local campsite on the Friday. Assume it will be the same next year.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Accommodation heads-up on Booking.com right now - 12-17 July Sleeping Dogs Guest house 446 or relax Inn in Swindon 245. Not going to get much cheaper. BTW I have no connection with these places!Hope it helps someone

TRENTEND

Post by TRENTEND »

Visited RIAT a few years ago flying in to Bristol, hiring a car, driving to Cheltenham and then using the park and ride. Keen to give the shorter Swindon bus a try this time around. Only problem seems to be the lack of accommodation in Swindon. Is it practical to stay a few miles out of town, park in Swindon on the day (a big town so presume there’s plenty of public parking available) and take the bus that way? Hopefully not a daft question but have read many of the roads in the area could be closed so guess I’d have to chose location carefully, i.e. nothing on the way north to Fairford?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

It sure where you have heard of road closures this far awa from the show.
The accommodation problem is two fold; first RIAT themselves need quite a few hotel rooms for crews, second that all the local accommodation makes the most of a lucrative weekend and hikes up the prices. Good old supply and demand economics.
If you fly to Bristol, get a hotel there and drive in; the blue route is usually pretty good as long as you arrive early. For all the horror stories about traffic an early start and early or late finish means few problems.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

TRENTEND

Post by TRENTEND »

Thanks Iain. Likely now staying at Bath and then either driving early doors to the show (if I decide to get a hire car) or travelling there via Swindon (train then bus).

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Saturday’s super early bird tickets are nearly gone.

I got Saturday and Sunday tickets, would love to do the Friday again but at this point can't commit to doing so. Going to have to wait on hotel and flights going on sale to see if it can be done.

Tickets with Shuttlebus from Cheltenham are now on the site too, having not been released at the same time as Swindon tickets.

But roll on 2023 :)

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

adam2628 wrote:
Mon 01 Aug 2022, 6:49 am
It was this year, as we were listening from a local campsite on the Friday. Assume it will be the same next year.
Thank you, I'll come prepared next year! :)

Dr Cake

Post by Dr Cake »

Seahornet wrote:
Tue 26 Jul 2022, 6:46 am
Just ordered my weekend tickets for 2023, but I couldn't see P&V tickets anywhere - do these go on sale nearer the time, or did I miss them somewhere...? :confused:
I've just run into the same problem. This has not happened in previous years. I'm trying to avoid being stung with the £2-75 admin fee twice. Does anyone have information on this? Thanks.

Berf

Post by Berf »

I guess they are trying to avoid the P&V option for masses - which of course does not help the P&V regulars from obtaining a super early bargain and P&V

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Any idea when the disabled enclosure starts booking.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

The website says that at a given moment all ticket holders will be informed about hospitality and upgrades etc. I would imagine that will also be the moment they start booking the disabled enclosure?

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, the shuttlebusses, both Swindon and Cheltenham, seem to be for free in '23?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Just added the Friday to my order. I enjoyed it this year.

My hotel rooms went on sale at midnight, originally looked at Friday, Saturday & Sunday night, but adding the Thursday only cost another £30 so decided to go for it.

Yes, shuttlebus is included in the ticket price this year and not in addition to it. However, you have to still select it.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

“With us, your brand gets a front row seat like no other.”

Ouch. 🫣

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 05 Sep 2022, 10:21 am

“With us, your brand gets a front row seat like no other.”

Ouch. 🫣
Yikes!

For your £60 entry price, you common plebs can sit behind one of these chalets. Bit too much corporate at RIAT these days.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

There is *always* space on the crowd line for general admission ticket holders.

Sure enough if you want to be in the centre, you're best getting a FRIAT ticket - but i'd gladly go to RIAT with a normal ticket and be confident of getting a good view.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Yeah, sorry Tommy, I don't know what the problem is with that tweet? It's literally just advertising their normal corporate hospitality.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I dislike the corporatism (is that a word? You know what I mean if not) of it immensely.

(And, secondary point but, I know it’s a bit of sales puff but how else do you define “a front row seat like no other” if not “better than everyone else”?)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Tickets for enclosures should be on sale by the end of October according to a post on their FB in the comments section.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Have a look at the crowdline in 2006 and previous years, way less space was taken up. And 'there's always space' sure, if you move down further and further or stay well back. Green this year was atrocious and was like a game of 'try to touch the floor and not someone laying down'.

Cue someone coming in saying 'RIAT couldn't run without these punters etc...'

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

JMC wrote:
Thu 06 Oct 2022, 2:40 pm
Green this year was atrocious and was like a game of 'try to touch the floor and not someone laying down'.
The easternmost 25% maybe, the rest of it was completely empty. Spent about an hour sat at the far western end with no-one within 100 yards!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tbf, I have softened a little bit from my above opinion & Chris (as per) does speak sense - but RIAT do very much need to tread a fine line between corporate stuff to paying public. Especially as it seems to have become a de facto Farnborough.

To balance things out, I do quite like the thought/idea of quirky trade displays on the Friday only. Such as the AW149 this year. Something that isn’t necessarily a star item, but still quite good fun nonetheless. Like a, idk, a Diamond Dart display or something.

Three identical days (a la 2018) got a bit much, so I like the idea of Friday rehearsals, static arrivals, shorter show day with a bit more focus on trade stuff. It adds something extra to the weekend.

JMC

Post by JMC »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 06 Oct 2022, 3:08 pm
JMC wrote:
Thu 06 Oct 2022, 2:40 pm
Green this year was atrocious and was like a game of 'try to touch the floor and not someone laying down'.
The easternmost 25% maybe, the rest of it was completely empty. Spent about an hour sat at the far western end with no-one within 100 yards!
That's not great if you want to be near crowd centre, but saying that I suppose that's like anything really best seats at football/racing/cinema....

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Enclosures go on sale next week

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Still waiting for my FRIAT call...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro