Arriving at the wrong gate

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Zoom

Arriving at the wrong gate

Post by Zoom »

easyJet (well actually SmartLynx) made a boo boo an arrival back at LGW on our flight home from Jersey last night. We waited over 1 1/2 hours to get off the plane, the crew citing lack of buses (which is apparently true due to DHL taking over, it was delayed on the way out for the same reason). Suddenly everyone disembarked and we found that we had been parked on an air bridge all the time on the South (scheduled) Terminal but the main stand along with all the international arrivals. I had assumed that we were on the stand but there was nobody there to operate the bridge which often happens at LGW you just walk down the steps and into the terminal on the ground. We ended up at Passport Control with just driving licences (I don't take a passport unless I have to after having one stolen in Tenerife don't try this at home children). After a lot of tutting and checking who we were on the database they let us through. He seemed to indicate that someone airside was in for a bolleauxing!

I presume there are dedicated gates for Domestic / CTA arrivals that allow passengers to go straight to either their own baggage reclaim or the normal one having bypassed the UK Border control?

Not a great experience after a very long day, is this common?