Heathrow Spotting

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Heathrow Spotting

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Are there any good spots for 27R arrivals that would offer images akin to Myrtle Avenue?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

shorsley

Re: Heathrow Spotting

Post by shorsley »

You can always try Waye Avenue Open Space (it's labelled on Google Maps). Waye Avenue is off the Bath Road, and can be a bit tight for parking but always managed to find a space eventually.

This was taken from that location:
ImageLHRMay2020_68 by Sarah Horsley, on Flickr

or you could wander into the nearby fields (just follow the footpaths), so you're right under the approach for a few different angles:

ImageLHRApril2022_69 by Sarah Horsley, on Flickr

ImageLHRApril2022_89 by Sarah Horsley, on Flickr
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Evening…

Have a browse of this:

https://www.spotterguide.net/planespott ... -lhr-egll/

Also might be worth trying here:

“Terrace at Thistle London Heathrow Hotel
This is a good spotting place since you will see the Rwy 27R / 09L. You do not need to be a overnighter to use this point. The only thing is you have to ask at the reception desk. Bath Road, Longford West Drayton UB7 0EQ Phone: 0871 376 9021 / +44 845 305 8321”

Dan

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks both.

Is it still possible to shoot from/near the roundabout near the BA base? I’ve not been for years.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

I've often used Hounslow Urban Farm on Faggs Lane, parking is usually quite light..

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

this might help an, something I wrote a few years back now. https://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/foru ... 36&t=30594
Some might have changed as time moves on so worth checking out by googling first if you can.

My favourite is the Bedfont & Feltham Football ground for 27L arrivals, I've got membership at (from memory) £10 a year and you need that to have the code to get onto the training field and through the main gate if they lock it. Views akin to Myrtle but easier to park - you could even look on the fee as a very cheap annual parking charge and walk to Myrtle in 5 minutes for a change of scene if you desire or continue along Hatton Road towards the underground station and stand in the gateways where BJ TV filmed from during the storm for virtually head on shots, it's a great base and you can use the clubhouse when it's open for toilets, refreshments and even a bit of food.

these were taken from the football ground: https://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/foru ... 69&t=41948

I used to use the Chester Road location for 27R arrivals but the last couple of times I went there it was getting a bit dodgy and I wouldn't go there on my own now.
A couple of gangs hanging around didn't really marry well with all my camera gear and I must have been as high as a kite by the time I left with all the cannabis smoke drifting around - it was good though, I saw 4 Antonov 225s, Air Force 1 landed as a 707, two Concordes on the evening BA2 flight due to capacity needs and a Princess flying boat landing on the reservoir, or was I just imagining things? :joy:

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks all. Ended up just camping at Myrtle and waiting for the runway change.