Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2022 - 10th & 11th September

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
G-CVIX

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2022 - 10th & 11th September

Post by G-CVIX »

keithjs wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:36 am
I can see a change of decision coming as Abingdon has cancelled their show.
I'm not sure why this would force them to make a U-turn when they've already announced that they are going ahead?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:43 am
Abingdon get it. Take a look at their FB page, most comments there saying it's the right decision. It's about respect. That's it.
You haven't countered a single post on here with anything logical or rational. Your opinion is your opinion, not what is right for everybody. I trust you have a ticket to sell? There's nothing disrespectful about enjoying life and entertainment. I'm certain that the Queen would have preferred us all to watch Spitfires and Hurricanes than to sit at home depressed, which you seem determined to do.
Last edited by G-CVIX on Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

You carry on laughing my friend. Logical and rational? Abingdon are displaying both in abundance, and bravo to them for that.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

UKTopgun wrote:
Abingdon get it. Take a look at their FB page, most comments there saying it's the right decision. It's about respect. That's it.
So 'most' comments, not all then? Why can't Duxford still go ahead and still show respect?
...Rad shutters auto.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

keithjs wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:52 am
UKTopgun wrote:
So 'most' comments, not all then? Why can't Duxford still go ahead and still show respect?
Don't bother trying to rationalise, apparently we should all be at home with the curtains shut.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:48 am
You carry on laughing my friend. Logical and rational? Abingdon are displaying both in abundance, and bravo to them for that.
A period of silence, concluded with a Spitfire missing woman formation - simple and appropriate.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

UKTopgun

If you have a problem, which you clearly do, with the Duxford air show this weekend then take it up with the Trustees and Executive Board of IWM and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (which is a government body) who authorised the IWM to keep it's museums, all it's museums, open until the day of the funeral when they will close for one day instead of whinging about it on a web site/social media.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Just had a thought, obviously the IWM Organisation have been in contact with the Powers That Be regarding this Weekend and that is why they decided what they did. Don’t think for one minute they’ve just decided - ok let’s just do it, surely they’ve had contact with someone before going ahead.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Jimbo27 wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 8:26 pm
IWM Duxford are in a very difficult position. The right decision is to cancel the event, it just is. It's the Monarch, the very head of our society, the picture on the money. However, the impact of COVID I'm sure is still being felt, I'm sure they are desperate to raise their funds, and I suspect it is very unlikely that they have been able to get insurance cover for cancellation in the event of the Queen's death. I know of other events that tried and failed. They will have incurred lots of costs already that they can't recover. I do sympathise with them.
A genuine question. Where would you stop? Close pubs, resturants, shops, trains and buses until the funeral? These things are protocol lead and to be fair this day has been in the planning for 25 or 30 years.

I believe that the Queen and Royal family had become very aware of moving with the times and not imposing views, that some may consider outdated.

I expect that the day of the funeral will see virtually everything closed, though I believe that the Queen had instructed that was not to be obligatory?

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Unknown74 wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:58 am
Just had a thought, obviously the IWM Organisation have been in contact with the Powers That Be regarding this Weekend and that is why they decided what they did. Don’t think for one minute they’ve just decided - ok let’s just do it, surely they’ve had contact with someone before going ahead.
It says in their statement that they consulted with the DCMS

JMC

Post by JMC »

Still holding out hope for a BUFF flypast!

xr221

Post by xr221 »

JMC wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 10:54 am
Still holding out hope for a BUFF flypast!
Now, that would be disrespectful. There's no place for nudity at an airshow!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

From 'The_demise_of_Her_Majesty_Queen_Elizabeth_II-_National_Mourning_Guidance__1_.pdf'
MAJOR EVENTS, ENTERTAINMENT & SPORTS
There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues
during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations.
As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing
venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the
discretion of individual organisations.
If sporting fixtures or events are planned for the day of the State Funeral, organisations may want to adjust
the event timings so they do not clash with the timings of the funeral service and associated processions.
As a mark of respect, and in keeping with the tone of National Mourning, organisers may wish to hold a
period of silence and/or play the National Anthem at the start of events or sporting fixtures, and players
may wish to wear black armbands.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ce__1_.pdf

DfG on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Czechs have just finished. Hind did an extended solo after the Hip landed.

Bagging them up so it looks like they’re done for the day. Odd that the Hind did a solo when it’s the Hip in the programme?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

HM Queen Elizabeth II reigned over all things good & bad for many years & has on many occasions demonstrated her willingness to move with the times. I also believe that it would not be her wish that Nations within the Commonwealth & especially the UK grind to a halt following her passing. You can show respect in many ways & dare I suggest the day of the State Funeral is the time for that?
Those persons feeling otherwise can initiate an extended period of private mourning in their own life, but to exert a blanket demand that everything is cancelled is unnecessarily onerous in my opinion. Life still goes on for those that have yet to enjoy a splendid 96 years, or anything close to that?
There is of course the additional factor that it's been so long since we had a State Funeral in this Country (Jan 1965) that there's an expectation that we should all revert to the mid-1900's protocol as the only relevant reference we can recall.
It's Right & Proper that Duxford 'Battle of Britain' Show proceeds as planned, with the relevant acknowledgement & period of Silence for reflection for ER-II & all those persons lost in the BoB. IMO.

PS: I also approve of the recent injection of humour in the recent Posts as we journey these reflective times. Now join-in "Always look on the bright side of life" :notes:

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 11:26 am
Czechs have just finished. Hind did an extended solo after the Hip landed.

Bagging them up so it looks like they’re done for the day. Odd that the Hind did a solo when it’s the Hip in the programme?
The Hip does not have a solo routine so it has to be a mistake in the programme.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

After a meeting this morning, the air show is still going ahead. Posted on the IWM Duxford web site -
Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show will take place as planned this weekend. As a mark of respect, IWM will be honouring HM The Queen's life and service within Saturday and Sunday's flying programme. Entry is strictly via advance booking only, and will not be available on the day online or on the gate. Book by midnight before each day to secure your entry.

DfG on Facebook

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

UKTopgun wrote:
If you've got a parking pass, can i buy it off you ? :D

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

lynothehammer wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
If you've got a parking pass, can i buy it off you ? :D
It'd be disrespectful to try and profit from the events. I think UKTopgun should give it you for free.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Abingdon,NI Airshow both cancelled this weekend plus RAF Hendon and Cosford closed.Just stating a fact as a mark of respect.Everyone has their own individual choice.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

jules48 wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 12:56 pm
Abingdon,NI Airshow both cancelled this weekend plus RAF Hendon and Cosford closed.Just stating a fact as a mark of respect.Everyone has their own individual choice.
Isn't this a show to commemorate those that lost their lives during the BoB, therefore in that respect I feel it should go ahead. Ask yourself would Her Majesty have wanted these commemorations cancelled.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

JMC

Post by JMC »

jules48 wrote:
Everyone has their own individual choice.
And that in a nutshell, is why Duxford are rightly going ahead with the show.

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 1:21 pm
jules48 wrote:
Isn't this a show to commemorate those that lost their lives during the BoB, therefore in that respect I feel it should go ahead. Ask yourself would Her Majesty have wanted these commemorations cancelled.
And don't forget the Queen was the last reigning monarch from WW2, was a veteran too. A missing “man” formation would be most poignant of spitfires followed by 2 minutes silence

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

The right decision is to give people the choice to attend or stay at home mourning. If they cancel the show then no one has the choice to attend which is not right.
I think some of the posters need to understand that for a very large proportion of the nation, the Queen's passing, whilst sad, is not in anyway life changing and they will plan to continue with their lives as they choose. People that will mourn for days are I suspect a very small minority.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

jules48 wrote:
Where did you see that RAF Museums Hendon and Cosford are closed ? The official websites say they are open.
Expect they will be closed, inline with all Government buildings, on the day of the funeral.