Talyllyn and Welshpool & Llanfair Railways

Photos that are not aviation related
TJJ

Talyllyn and Welshpool & Llanfair Railways

Post by TJJ »

Over the past few weeks I have travelled on two of the mid-Wales narrow gauge railways – the Talyllyn Railway and the Welshpool & Llanfair Railway.

First off is the Talyllyn which runs from Tywyn on the coast to Nant Gwernol up in the hills where the loco changes ends.

At Abergynolwyn Station there was a wedding party having drinks on the platform, with a special train all decked out in ribbons and flowers. Their reception was being held down the line at Tywyn Station Refreshment Room. The loco had a special header panel for the occasion and was going on up to the end of the line to change ends for the return journey.

As it is mostly single track, trains have to wait to pass one another at suitable places.

Small shunting engines are used as well

The scenery is pretty good as well – a couple of examples

The Welshpool & Llanfair Railway runs from Welshpool to Llanfair Caereinion. It has continental rolling stock and has quite steep gradients to contend with. The coaches have balconies at each end, so it is possible to get some good views. Rather than a wedding this journey involved the scattering of ashes of a wartime evacuee to the area who fell in love with the place and wanted it to be his last resting place.

This railway also has a small diesel shunter

While the scenrey is not as spectacular as the Talyllyn, here are a couple of favourites from the trip

A few weeks ago I also did a walk around the Trimpley Reservoir and along the River Severn near Bewdley. The path crosses the Severn Valley Railway and I managed to catch a couple of the trains here – diesel and steam

Nikon D750, Nikon D300s, Nikon D90