Flying with 27 Sqn

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Flying with 27 Sqn

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

From memory, some of them could have used a little noise reduction, plus some sharpening and other basic adjustments would have helped a lot too.

We've done a simple editing guide on the website to help members get the more from their photos in post processing - http://www.airshows.co.uk/blogs/photography/
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

effects

Post by effects »

DanO1978 wrote:Are photographs not to be criticised? By "publishing" on a forum, you are inviting a judgement, be that good or bad.

As "snaps" there was nothing wrong with them, but the original poster did rather build himself up by making a big deal of being asked/commissioned by the crew to produce a professional set of images.

I offer praise where it's due, and criticise where it is warranted, blunt though it may be. Blind praise is as pointless as undue criticism.

If Simon has taken offence, then I apologise, but I stand by my judgement that the pictures weren't of a great standard, considering the access granted.

And this pic viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28687 is one of the photos of the week, it appears 'soft' to me.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

wv383

Post by wv383 »

DanO1978 wrote:As "snaps" there was nothing wrong with them, but the original poster did rather build himself up by making a big deal of being asked/commissioned by the crew to produce a professional set of images.

I say once again, where did I actually state that I had been asked/commissioned by the crew to produce a professional set of images? Answer, nowhere! Other than in my original post where I said 'they wanted a photographer on the ground'. It should be plainly obvious that all that changed with the change in tasking which completely altered any photo oppotunities. If getting the best out of the day simply means coming away with a 'professional' set of images that are pin sharp and faultless in every way, then maybe I didn't satisfy your criteria. If however, many are happy with what they've seen and I had an experience of a lifetime that I will never forget, then that satisfys my criteria regardless of anyone else's forcfully put opinion.

When I originally posted the images I clearly stated that they were not of the best quality 'but I hope they give a flavour of the day'!

I do know about post processing but these were quick edits so that those interested in these things got to see them while it was fresh. Full and proper processing takes me a lot longer due to heavy work and family commitments with a very ill mother. As it is, those that matter have seen them, like them and have given me no time limit - not for 'professional' images but as a record of the day.
Simon

effects

Post by effects »

Well said mate. :clap:
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

kjshaw01

Post by kjshaw01 »

Couldn't agree more, it must be tough being so perfect in this life for some on this board. Glad you enjoyed your experience and most envious of you. I saw the pics the other night, record of the event? so what, what's wrong with that??? Nothing from what I saw on the post. Certain people here must lead enthralling lives having nothing to do but put down others efforts.

Thanks for putting the effort to post them as it is time consuming, they were good to see.

KS

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

wv383 wrote:When I originally posted the images I clearly stated that they were not of the best quality 'but I hope they give a flavour of the day'!

They did - and I enjoyed seeing them so thanks for posting. I'm afraid you've been quite rudely treated but if it's any consolation, you're not the first and doubtless won't be the last. Perhaps something to do with the X-Factor generation who feel a compulsion to sit in judgement and pass opinion when sometimes it might be a lot more polite just to enjoy some images as records of the real situation rather than heavily crafted exhibits.

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

MicrolightDriver wrote:Perhaps something to do with the X-Factor generation who feel a compulsion to sit in judgement and pass opinion when sometimes it might be a lot more polite just to enjoy some images as records of the real situation rather than heavily crafted exhibits.

I enjoyed them - a similar opportunity to myself when I posted my "Wokkas over Wales" thread back in June.

One thing for certain - there certaintly are some Wagners about... :biggrin:

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

F-22 Raptor A

Post by F-22 Raptor A »

wv383 wrote:The bandwidth problem may have something to do with the fact that I was using the free Photobucket system and I've now had a message to say that my account is full but that I can reinstate it if I pay up for a Pro account. Frankly I don't think it's worth the hassle, though I might do for the sake of the other forums of which I'm a member and where CONSTRUCTIVE critisism is given not the rudeness that is apparent on this one.

As for building myself up, so one's not allowed to be excited now without being accused of something else!

Well I for one, hope you don't leave this forum, as I found your images interesting and a great account of what looks like a great day.

I personally cannot comment of the standard, because I could do no better! Infact, given the fact that you are in a moving aircraft at low level with the crew around you, I think you did a good job!

chally2

Post by chally2 »

DanO appears to have disappeared up his own backside at long last :clap:

The trouble when you are surrounded by brilliant aviation photographers, and they really are 10-a-penny, you can lose sight of the simple, almost childlike joy and excitement that someone occasionally captures with 'less than perfect' photographs, how sad................ :sad:

XL391

Post by XL391 »

Arthur Tee wrote:One thing for certain - there certaintly are some Wagners about... :biggrin:

:lol:

I didn't see your images sadly wv383, a shame really, i'd have loved to have seen them. I do remember a similar scenario to this a while ago, again, nothing constructive, just insulting to the guy who'd posted them as a record of his visit to a certain aircraft museum.

So, you're not the only member of this 'club', in fact, this club may soon have more members than UKAR itself soon! :shock:

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

Hi wv383 would you have a link to where I could view the images as I would really like to see them. Its always cool to see the services at work rather in a staged airshow enviroment.

I share the opinion you have about here , 5 years ago it was a cool place to be and I participated on the forum, I only watch now as the atmosphere is not the same as it was and the word "cliquey" springs to mind rapidly.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Fat Albert wrote:I share the opinion you have about here , 5 years ago it was a cool place to be and I participated on the forum, I only watch now as the atmosphere is not the same as it was and the word "cliquey" springs to mind rapidly.

:facepalm:

HOLTY

Post by HOLTY »

Fat Albert wrote: I share the opinion you have about here , 5 years ago it was a cool place to be and I participated on the forum, I only watch now as the atmosphere is not the same as it was and the word "cliquey" springs to mind rapidly.

In complete agreement, Dan'O' was actually quite witty back then..He seems rather cynical and a bit of a 'Victor Meldrew' these days in comparison.. Only my opinion mind and in no way should be taken as gospel..

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Fat Albert wrote:Hi wv383 would you have a link to where I could view the images as I would really like to see them. Its always cool to see the services at work rather in a staged airshow enviroment.

I share the opinion you have about here , 5 years ago it was a cool place to be and I participated on the forum, I only watch now as the atmosphere is not the same as it was and the word "cliquey" springs to mind rapidly.

Thanks to everyone for the support. The images are now back online.
Simon

HOLTY

Post by HOLTY »

Superb set... really enjoyed seeing them!!

jwarnerxh558

Post by jwarnerxh558 »

chally2 wrote:DanO appears to have disappeared up his own backside at long last :clap:

The trouble when you are surrounded by brilliant aviation photographers, and they really are 10-a-penny, you can lose sight of the simple, almost childlike joy and excitement that someone occasionally captures with 'less than perfect' photographs, how sad................ :sad:

i think you got it in one there mate.
its a real shame that people are being put off posting on here because people just slag off their photos! i can understand people giving "constructive critticism i.e. if you had done this maybe this could be better ect ect ect..... but i think if you think shots are as some are pretty much saying, rubish, then i think you should just hit the back button and go look at one of the perfect photographers.
many people on here arent photographers, they simply have a pasion for aviation and take a camera along pretty much just to show us what was there, what they did/see. i think if i had comments like some of these on a set of photos i posted then id think twice about posting on here again.
Rgds Jonathan

P.S. WV383, they were very interesting shots, not something you see every day :clap:

neil40

Post by neil40 »

wv383 wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:I say once again, where did I actually state that I had been asked/commissioned by the crew to produce a professional set of images? Answer, nowhere! Other than in my original post where I said 'they wanted a photographer on the ground'.

Ermmmm your post of 1st November:
"Several firsts for me - first air to air, first flight on a Chinook, first official request to be photographer from a squadron!"

That's what confused me over what the task actually was, and hence my reply. If you were there as an invited guest (rather than in photographic capacity) then the images do an adequate job of capturing the experience and are of great interest in that respect; having missed a trip on a Chinook a couple of times (once by a matter of 10mins!) I'm immensely jealous :biggrin:

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Neil, Thanks for your post. PM sent.
Simon

st24

Post by st24 »

Inevitable thread this really given the way things have been going. Perhaps wv383 should freeload at Duxford a bit more to mix with the pros... :roll:

Personally I wouldn't have posted the misty take off pics, but they illustrate the difficult conditions you had. A great day out for you!! :smile:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

HOLTY wrote:Dan'O' was actually quite witty back then..He seems rather cynical and a bit of a 'Victor Meldrew' these days in comparison.

Sorry DanO, but I couldn't resist a little smile at that as I remember a similar suggestion made here about myself a little while back, and I seem to recall it was made by your good self! :tongue: If I'm wrong in my recollection I apologise in advance. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Fat Albert

Post by Fat Albert »

Thanks wv383 for putting the images back up , not jealous here at all in the slightest. I really really don't want to be invited on a day out like that ................ oh go on then if you twisted my arm just a tad I would go !!!.

BenN what was the :facepalm: icon meant to say ??? please.