Flying with 27 Sqn

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
wv383

Flying with 27 Sqn

Post by wv383 »

It very rare these days for me to post photos, but this particular days was a bit special to say the least.

On 4th November I was given a very rare opportunity for a 'civvie' from 27 Sqn at Odiham.

When I had the original phonecall from OC A Flt, I was given the opinion that they wanted a photographer on the ground at Odiham. It was only on the second call asking me to go on the Thursday of their pre-dep training week that I discovered that I would actually be flying with them. The original intention was that it would be a three-ship formation down to SPTA and that I would get onboard and ground shots of the exercise. However, as is the way with these things, plans chage from minute to minute. Various flights were operating on the 4th but most involved emergency training and special ops for which no passengers could be taken for obvious reasons.

However, there was one other option but the problem was the weather. Though it was sunny at Odiham, the range (Pembrey) and two thirds of the route was covered in mist and a cloudbase of 500ft. If the shortest route was taken, then a long over water crossing would be required which would again count me out. Negotiations went on with the crew and those upstairs and a decision was made. It was on! We would be lifting at 1130 having donned QD immersion suits. Routing via Keevil to collect the armourers and then out via Bath and over the Severn. We would then hug the South Wales Coast at ultra low level all the way to Pembrey and that is exactly what happened.

The ultra low level bit was exactly that. Below cliff top height and for those that know the works at Port Talbot, we passsed thhe chimney half way up the word 'Corus'! This is a coastline I know quite well right down to Pendine, but I had never seen it from this angle! All the places I have visited over the years flashed past. It was just a shame that i couldn't take photos at this point for safety reasons. Not only due to the height, but also due to the windy conditions which created a lot of buffeting which meant I had to stay firmly seated.

Soon we arrived at Pembrey Airfield where the armourers were dropped off along with the ammo for the night shoot and it was off to the range. I was dropped off near the range tower to grab what photos I could given the horrible conditions. About 20 live runs were made. Then I was picked up for the quick flight back to the airfield for refuel, re-arm and scoff.

Although the range was booked until 1900, there was a limit on time for arrival back at Odiham so we lifted again at 1600 for the night firing. To make room inside, all those not taking part in the firing were dropped off at the tower. However, this time I was given the opportunity of experiencing the firing from onboard. Photography though would be virtually impossible due to the almost total lack of light (no flashgun allowed during the firing as it would reflect off the guys visors) and let alone the manoeuvres that would be flown, the wind was gusting to over 28 knots. Several runs were made using the port and starboard miniguns and the 50 cal mounted on the ramp.

With departure time getting closer, at 1815 we picked up the rest of the crew and then it was a rapid climb to 5500ft for a full IFR routing back to Odiham where we arrived at 1910 – not bad for a journey that normally takes me three hours or more by car! This time I was in the jump seat experiencing the whole flight through NVGs – I never knew quite how busy the skies were!

Massive thanks to Vince, Simon, ‘Boothy’ and all the rest of the crew and to Stu, OC A Flt for making this incredible day happen. Lucky to get the opportunity. Well, even some of the guys on the squadron asked me how I managed to wangle it! “We don’t normally take non-service on exercises!” However, that didn’t make the welcome any less total.

All the guys I was with are due out to Afghanistan on detachment in early December and I am sure that all will wish them well.

Photos - those that follow tell the story of the day. I wasn't able to take any shots during the low level flight to Pembrey from Keevil for safety reasons - ultra low level and hugging every bay on the coast. Also, due to the vulgar weather conditions on the range and restrictions on using flash onboard at night for obvious reasons of casuing distractions to the gunners, some of the shots are very 'noisy' but I hope they give a flavour of what it's like on board the big 'Wokka' on a training exercise.

Startup - Chinook HC.3 ZH901

'Boothy'

Through the Valley

Approaching Keevil

Keevil Tower

'Jonesy'

Pembrey Range Drop Off Point

Gunnery Training

Ramp Gun - 50 cal firing through the mist (note the two Jaguars just about visible on the ground for use as targets by RAF jets)

Darkness Falls

Lifting from Pembrey Airfield for night firing

In the jump seat

Me on the starboard minigun

On board

Minigun Tracer

Vince & 'Boothy' on the ramp 50 cal

50 cal firing at night (the two green lights in the foreground centre are the NVGs of 'Boothy' and Vince

Night Ops

Hope you like them. This was a very rare opportunity for a 'civvie' to experience a pre-dep exercise from the inside.

Simon
Simon

Hellfire

Re: Flying with 27 Sqn

Post by Hellfire »

Nice coverage. :clap:

Height is Good

Post by Height is Good »

A great opportunity for you Simon and one I am sure you will remember and some good photographic records.
Just one small point is that the rear gun on the ramp (in the first picture at least) is an M60 7.62mm not a .50 cal.

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Great post Simon, very good lead up and explantion of the sortie. :clap: :clap:
Cheers,

Chris

TIGER TIM

Post by TIGER TIM »

:drool: :drool:

I hate to be on the wrong end of the minigun and the .50cal :hide:

neil40

Post by neil40 »

DanO1978 wrote:Simon, even allowing for the less-than-ideal conditions, for commissioned work, these are very substandard. Even the static ground based images suffer from softness, and the cockpit work suggests these are rushed "snaps" rather than properly framed and considered images.

Sorry to be critical, but I say as I see. When given this kind of opportunity and access, you really need to seize it, and produce results to warrant the access granted.

Totally and whole-heartedly agree with Dan on this. From Simon's post I assume he has been asked to perform in a professional basis - therefore the bar has to be that much higher. If the commission is the ground shots then one only has to look at many of the amazing images regularly posted on here of the flightline walks and static airshow displays to see what can be done.

Monty

Post by Monty »

Had the privilege of flying with these guys whilst on a cadet camp around this time last year. Despite the fact the weather was terrible and most of the flight was above cloud cover it still was an amazing experience, so can only imagine how fantastic an experience you had on your flight. Like the lift off shot from Pembrey, considering how much they vibrate its amazing that you managed to get it that sharp!
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon 70-300mm IS USM F-4.0/5.6

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

Trevsy

Post by Trevsy »

Lomcevak26 wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:for commissioned work, these are very substandard. Even the static ground based images suffer from softness

Simon himself has said that the images aren't perfect and it's true the last few are pretty noisy!

Paul, I agree with you, these aren't very good photos.

However it is still interesting to see them.
"Dom Pérignon '62 Red 5?" - Roger Moore

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Simon can answer for himself but I understand his original task was to photograph a flight of three Chinooks on SPTA doing troop drops. However he was re-tasked to a very dark, wet n gloomy Wales. For a photographer to be put on a night flight too, I think he done well. :clap:
He was excited to do this and his photos show his amazing day in detail. I'm very interested as it's something I would love to do.

I've hardly seen a positive comment in a photo-thread from DanO in a long time and I know the comments from several people on here have put people off posting here which is a shame. would have been interesting to see Dan's efforts in this exact situation...and before you turn it around on me, I know i'm a bad photographer, which is why I havn't made any big purchases in camera equipment...

Great photos Simon, perticularly the cockpit shots. Very jelous of your experience, it's just a real shame you were retasked.
Last edited by RickIngham on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

I have seen them, hence the word 'hardly'.
...And I believe Simon has posted his record of the day, not just his 'commision' photos...
Last edited by RickIngham on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Correct, I did stop posting but I couldn't care less about what people say about me now. I enjoy the hobby, that's all that matters.
Last edited by RickIngham on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam Dodd

Post by Sam Dodd »

"some of the shots are very 'noisy' but I hope they give a flavour of what it's like on board the big 'Wokka' on a training exercise."

The quality of photos did not cross my mind, I was very interested to see them. Always nice to see somthing different, other than the Loop or some of the other popular places that are posted alot. I've seen worse .....

Charles022

Post by Charles022 »

Really nice to see photos from inside a Chinook especially the night time shooting photos! Cheers!

wv383

Post by wv383 »

First off, I do not advertise myself as a professional otherwise I would demand payment for my work. I don't own and cannot afford hugely expensive kit that photographers far better than I on here use. I am purely someone an amateur who enjoys taking photographs and which many people enjoy seeing.

Secondly, I wasn't actually commissioned and nowhere have I said that I was. Being kind, perhaps what I put in one of the paragraphs was misconstrued. I was invited along as they thought I would enjoy the experience and taking some pics. If they had wanted proper commissioned work they would have used one of the official RAF photographers of which they have several at Odiham.

Thirdly, as Rick says the original intention was to be on SPTA. There was every possibility on the day, due to the complete last minute rescheduling of the exercises that I would end up with no flight at all and it was all down to some very hard work and pulling of a lot of strings that the routing to Pembrey was changed so that I could go along.The cloudbase and mist was such that having scrapped the original land route, their intention was to fly direct across the Bristol Channel, a route on which it would be impossible to take anyone who didn't have the proper ditching training.

Finally, constructive criticism OK but a virtual slagging off from a Moderator, something I have seen far too often, is one of the reasons that I and many others haven't posted photographs one here in ages and it is now very unlikely that I will do again. I may well even pull my membership altogether.

Whatever, it was an experience I shall never forget and will be eternally grateful for it.
Simon

F-86

Post by F-86 »

I think your last line sums it up nicely, and i also think you have some decent shots considering the conditions.

Sam Dodd

Post by Sam Dodd »

Exactly, as long as you enjoyed yourself, thats all that matters. You also went to the trouble of writing out how the day went before you posted the pictures, I always find that interested to read on posts!

Davef68

Post by Davef68 »

I enjoyed seeing the pics (not least because I had been asking for cockpit shots of the HC3 just the other day on Waffle!) - first time I recall seeing an HC3 'tooled up'.

It's sometimes interesting to see something unique, even if it doesn't have the 'wow' image quality.

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

That post was quickly deleted! :tumbleweed:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Quite right too! No way he could get away with that.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Spock

Post by Spock »

Can't see nothing here Says Bandwidth exceeded where the photo's should be.

Trev :sad: :sad:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Can't see the pics, is it my computer, or have they been removed?

Oops sorry didn't see Spocks comment on a second page.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Westy

Post by Westy »

toom317 wrote:Can't see the pics, is it my computer, or have they been removed?

Looks like it and I don't blame him

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

This type of site is dependant upon content being volunteered for display on the various forums. I dont think people understand how difficult it is for an individual to join a training flight, in alien surroundings and then try and use a camera whilst not getting in the way of what the crew are actually doing. As a piece of reportage I thought it was enlightening, even though I do have 1600 hours on Chinooks. Its not easy, it was a great bit of opportunism and well explained.

The comments of the moderators is 'catty' to say the least and does nothing for future prospective memberships. Very disappointing.
Last edited by Epic Formacion on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

You're missing a key point to my mind - even though Epic Formacion's (very well-worded) post's made it abundantly clear. I personally don't think the criticism's justified, but that aside - contributed images DO fuel the UKAR engine to a large degree. And that's not apparently been recognised or acknowledged.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

The bandwidth problem may have something to do with the fact that I was using the free Photobucket system and I've now had a message to say that my account is full but that I can reinstate it if I pay up for a Pro account. Frankly I don't think it's worth the hassle, though I might do for the sake of the other forums of which I'm a member and where CONSTRUCTIVE critisism is given not the rudeness that is apparent on this one.

As for building myself up, so one's not allowed to be excited now without being accused of something else!
Simon