RAF Leuchars 20/06

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Macc

RAF Leuchars 20/06

Post by Macc »

Me, Niall (np1991) and Mark (Lossie15) all made the trip down to RAF Leuchars for the day and some Typhoon action. The weather looked promising when I woke up at 4am, and stayed lovely during the journey (apart from parts of fog on the way down the A9) until we got Leuchars side of Cupar when the sky became dominated by low cloud. It stayed that way for a while although the sun did breach the gaps a lot but it meant that the circuit was closed.

1. There were 9 Typhoon FGR4s and 5 Tucano T1s on the line when we arrived. The Tucanos departed around 9 and flew throughout the whole day. This one, ZF406 carried special markings for the Battle of Britain's 70th anniversary.
ZF406 - Tucano T1 - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

2. Then the ramp got busy with personnel and seven Typhoons (Venom and Psycho flights) taxied out to work with a Lossie Tornado GR4 and E-3D from Waddington.
ZK325 - Typhoon FGR4 - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

3. With the circuit closed the aircraft did PARs, including these two who did a pairs approach.
ZK317 & ZK325 - Typhoon FGR4 - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

4. Four aircraft the went into the hot-pit on the old VASS pan. I loved how you can see each pilot in this shot.
ZK333 - Typhoon FGR - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

5. I thought the grass helped frame the shot and added more colour and detail.

6. Even though it was hideously backlit, after some salvaging the colours actually really looked nice!

7. It was nice to see some in single tank configuration.
ZK333 & ZK330 - Typhoon FGR4s - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

8. Sitting at 09, waiting for them to come back we heard on the radio that one of the Venom flight had an issue and was wanting to use his chute on landing. So we rushed round to the crash gate up at 27 where we came across a really nice guy who gave us his place on the fence post as he wasn't too bothered about catching it or not, as there was three of us and two fence posts I had to hold onto a fence post over Mark to keep my balance. It worked though, and we all got the shots.
ZK302 - Typhoon FGR4 - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

9. Sadly he didn't taxi round with the chute, but it was still great to catch.
ZK302 - Typhoon FGR4 - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

10. After waving to him, this guy returned the gesture and then his jet did too.

11. The light was considerably nicer by the time the rest were arriving.

12. I personally love the Typhoon head on!
ZK314 - Typhoon FGR4 - Royal Air Force by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

With that it was time to head back up the road, it was a great day which could have been better if the circuit was open but till next time!

Chris

RoverDriver

Re: RAF Leuchars 20/06

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paultojo

Re: RAF Leuchars 20/06

Post by Paultojo »

Nice stuff Chris

P