Lakenheath & Marham 26th September

Lakenheath & Marham 26th September

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 26 Sep 2018, 8:40 pm

Had a trip out to Lakenheath today and ended up at Marham. Got a bit fed up taking the same old shots of the F-15s, so planned to spend the afternoon at Mildenhall until a post on FC mentioned that Dave was up and about at Marham. A change of scenery seemed like a fun idea.

Only 493 FS shots from Lakenheath, because despite there only being cloud cover for about ten minutes the entire day, wouldn't you know it was the ten minutes when seven of the eleven remaining Eagles that were airborne returned to base.
McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 86-0172 - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 84-0019 "GATOR 01" - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 86-0154 "GATOR 02" - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15D Eagle 84-0046 "BULLET 01" - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Then across to Marham, with not a clue where we were supposed to be going, so just joined the others parked at the end of the runway. Sadly, it was the wrong end, but after watching this one bash the circuit for five minutes...

Panavia Tornado GR4 "MARHAM 31" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

...a kind chap known to me only as "Stig" showed us the ropes at Marham and led us to the other end of the base for some landing shots. 'MONSTER" Flight returned early evening, but they were bingo fuel so unfortunately did not indulge in any pattern work. Alas, having only one bite of the cherry and not knowing the lie of the land, this was a bit too far for my 300mm lens so is more of a crop than I would like.

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA554/046 "MONSTER 02" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Had a better understanding by the time MIDAS21 returned, so a short walk helped to fill rather more of the frame. First time I've seen "Dave" in action. Noisy little bugger isn't he?

Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II ZM147 - 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II ZM147 - 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

And that's that. Better idea of where to go at Marham now, so may think about returning to shoot a few Tornados before they're all gone. Runway 01 looks like it has potential if the wind is right.

Thanks to the locals for the warm reception and their help.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Lakenheath & Marham 26th September

Postby dconnery1966 on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 5:48 am

Superb shots there in beautiful light well done mate

Dougie :biggrin:
dconnery1966

Postby PeteM on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 6:18 am

Some nice images there.
I managed to catch Monster Flight doing an approach at Newquay late afternoon so I assume your images show them returning from that sortie.
I understand the F-35 also did an approach at Newquay after dark.
PeteM

Postby AlexC on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 10:12 am

Demonstrates very well the rather bizarre system of hovering flight of 'Dave'.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 27 Sep 2018, 1:21 pm

The F-35 shots are lovely. What light. :rock:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:09 am

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle