RAF Marham & Lakenheath (Updated 24th)

RAF Marham & Lakenheath (Updated 24th)

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:10 pm

Trip to Marham today, via an hour or two at Lakenheath to catch some departures on 06. Didn't really get any great topsides and several of them climbed out pretty steeply, but 250mm is about enough to fill the frame so that's a trip for another day.

Marham turned out pretty well though - runway 01 is good for approach shots and the taxiway is a great spot all day long. Four flights (RAF100 jet flew twice), and the last pair returned in perfect light. An F-35 was up too, but no pics of that as it was too far away.

McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 86-0174 - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle 98-0133 - 492nd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA554/046 "FANG 02" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA607/EB-X "FANG 01" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA607/EB-X "FANG 01" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA554/046 "PRIMUS 01" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA554/046 "PRIMUS 01" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZD716/084 "PRIMUS 02" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZD716/084 "PRIMUS 02" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

"PRIMUS" flight of two Panavia Tornado GR4s ZA554/046 & ZD716/084 - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

"PRIMUS" flight of two Panavia Tornado GR4s ZA554/046 & ZD716/084 - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Rough and ready JPEG edits. I also shot these in RAW today. Do I need any special software to make the most of them? I've only ever used the RAW editor in PS CS3.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Marham & Lakenheath

Postby jalfrezi on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 8:20 pm

Good stuff Dan! :up:

I use Adobe Camera RAW for my RAW editing, I think it's included with most versions of Photoshop - not sure about CS3 though, and it would probably need to be updated for newer camera models.
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Postby MiG_Eater on Tue 23 Oct 2018, 12:54 pm

Excellent shots. I really like the pairs shots.

I have only been up to Marham once, and never seen 01 in use - where did you park, and where did you shoot from?
MiG_Eater

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Tue 23 Oct 2018, 3:03 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:I have only been up to Marham once, and never seen 01 in use - where did you park, and where did you shoot from?

The main runway is still closed for F-35 construction, so RWY 01/19 is the only one currently in use.

This is the guide I posted on FC about two weeks ago:

Spoiler: show
Knocked up a couple of maps to help with the spots at each end. As I say. I'm no expert and there may be better places, but this is what I've found from two visits so far, starting at the southern end with RWY01.

RWY01 by DanB, on Flickr

In the morning we parked up by the gate (not blocking it) near the yellow camera icon. From here, the aircraft arriving will be sun-lit in the morning, but hedges on both sides rather limit the amount of time you have to track and pan the aircraft. You might be able to open up the field of view if you were to just enter the gated field and stand beyond the tree.

Panavia Tornado GR4T ZG771 "RAFAIR 7081" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

For the afternoon, you want to be closer to the junction. I was just in the grassy area bordering the farmers field for this shot:

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA607 "MARHAM 80" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

There's a gap in the hedge between these two locations that is quite central to the runway heading where you can get a view of the runway, and it's not too bad for RWY19 departures coming towards you, but the angle is quite limiting for photos unless you have a massive lens. Overshoots I saw last week were mostly fairly low, so you'd probably better off sticking to one of the other two spots on this road to get more side-on, although the restricted view from the hedges might be a hindrance to panning.

Panavia Tornado GR4 "MARHAM 31" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

For Runway 19 landings, the layby has parking room for several cars and with a big lens, you could quite happily shoot the approaches from the parking area. The RAF100 Tornado below was from there but was a bit of a crop on my 300mm lens:

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA554/046 "MONSTER 02" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

I moved to the gate on the private road marked in yellow to get a bit closer. It's not far but made a big difference in terms of how much of the frame I could fill:

Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II ZM147 - 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II ZM147 - 617 Squadron, Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

The field just north of Swaffham Road gets you very close to the taxiway. As I said, the fence is about 5ft high so may be a problem for some. You can enter at either end, just stick to the edges as you make your way to the fence.

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZA607 "MARHAM 80" - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

I'm not sure what the normal routine is, but on Monday the landing aircraft were all backtracking, so I assume they would just roll to the end and vacate along this taxiway after a RWY19 landing too, so this could be a good spot regardless which runway is in use. As it's an east-west taxiway, there should be good sunlight on this spot all day from now until the Tornados retire.

The edge of the field is marked out in green (double line is where you can view and get good photos from), the taxiway is red and the disused runway is blue.

I've only been twice, but the Tornados will taxy along this area if they're using runway 01. If they're on 19, you *might* get some that taxi back the full length, but from what I understand, they mostly taxi back via the disused runway. They also taxi back in from this end after landing on runway 01 as the top end of the base is being worked on, but I can't say how likely it is they would go the full distance. You might get one or two, but I would imagine most would go back via the disused again.

As you look at the map, I entered the field from the left, and exited along the right, returning to White Road via the verge on Swaffham Road.

Yesterday we parked at the entrance to the field north of Swaffham Road (bottom right hand corner of the green line on the map) - there is room for about 4 or 5 cars if you're sensible and leave access clear for the farmer.

The landing shots yesterday evening were taken from the area near the concrete patch north of the green line West of the runway heading. It was a better location than the field at the junction as there are less obstructions from hedges etc so you can track and pan with the jets for longer.

I should also stress that if you or anyone else reading this do decide to go, you should keep to the edges of the field along the green line, and take any litter home with you. Sadly yesterday there were people walking through the middle of this field and things like that might ruin it for everyone else. Please be respectful.

HTH
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby MiG_Eater on Tue 23 Oct 2018, 3:14 pm

Thanks a lot! Very useful stuff.

I probably won't get any chance to visit until the new year, but hopefully there will still be some Tornado movements to see.
MiG_Eater

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Tue 23 Oct 2018, 4:51 pm

MiG_Eater wrote:Thanks a lot! Very useful stuff.

I probably won't get any chance to visit until the new year, but hopefully there will still be some Tornado movements to see.

You're welcome.

I believe the Tornado numbers now will remain fairly constant until they're all withdrawn (something like 21 left in service I think?). Having said that, there only seem to be a handful that fly now - I've been three times in the last month and have only seen five different jets in that time, so probably not one for the number crunchers! They're averaging around four Tornado flights a day at the moment.

The bases opening hours are advertised each month, so you can tell when they're night flying.
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby Airwolfhound on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 11:51 am

Lovely images Dan, some nice Autumnal light on these.

In terms of editing RAW images, I use Corel's Aftershot Pro 3 which is very easy to use. I then import as a TIF 16bit into Paintshop X9 Ultimate to tidy up some bits and then good to go. Takes about 3 minutes or so per image in total to edit from original out of the camera to publishing on Flickr. Can be quicker if I batch edit but in all honesty I don't like to spend too long per image tinkering around.

Thanks for the info re Marham on your post, may give that a go before too long.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Wed 24 Oct 2018, 8:22 pm

Thanks to you both for the pointers regarding RAW processing. CS3 does have Adobe Camera RAW - I'm using an EOS 50D so it's old anyway.

A few more shots from Lakenheath. Didn't have too many keepers as I'd not got my eye in and as I said before, several of them were quite high climb-outs sadly. Not in the game for high undersides personally.

McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 86-0174 - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagle 84-0019 - 493rd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, September 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle 98-0133 - 492nd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle - 492nd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle - 492nd Fighter Squadron, USAFE - RAF Lakenheath, October 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Got so many to process from the last few weeks, and then I'd like to try to tie them all up with their callsigns for Flickr. :dizzy:
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: RAF Marham & Lakenheath (Updated 24th)

Postby COMET 866 on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 7:50 am

Great Set!
"Nothing escapes us"
COMET 866

Re: RAF Marham & Lakenheath (Updated 24th)

Postby King Cobra on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 8:18 pm

A nice set. Was at the Heath too that day so we've got very similar pictures. :)
King Cobra

Return to Modern Military Photos