B-52 over Bury St Edmunds

B-52 over Bury St Edmunds

Postby SuffolkBlue on Mon 17 Jun 2019, 6:44 pm

I wasn't expecting to see this when i was cutting the grass at home this this evening! B-52H 60-0009 of the 5th BW, Minot AFB, was diverted into RAF Mildenhall after declaring an emergency. They made 6 passes over the town, the first of which was very low, before heading to the Mildenhall approach.

United States Air Force Boeing B-52H Stratofortress - Bury St Edmunds, Monday 17th June 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

United States Air Force Boeing B-52H Stratofortress - Bury St Edmunds, Monday 17th June 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

SuffolkBlue

Re: B-52 over Bury St Edmunds

Postby Iain S on Mon 17 Jun 2019, 7:00 pm

Nice catch, with engine fire too :snack:
Iain S

Postby Talldan76 on Mon 17 Jun 2019, 8:37 pm

Great capture!

More importantly though, glad the crew managed to land it safely and walk away.
Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Postby IATthenRIAT on Mon 17 Jun 2019, 10:00 pm

Wonder if both engines werew down on the same nacelle as I see they were adjusting the trim on that side.
IATthenRIAT

Postby unanmatt on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 1:02 am

Interesting shots. When I worked B-52G's with the 379th at Wurtsmith AFB back in the 80's, we were told that if fire reaches the wing or fuselage you have about a minute to get out before a magnesium fire takes hold. About as close as I came was when I was in the radar nav position when some dumb-a$$ drove a bomb lift truck into a wing tank and about 500 gallons of fuel hit the concrete.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Ellis
unanmatt

Postby bigcrow on Tue 18 Jun 2019, 10:10 am

Great catch... :clap:
bigcrow

Return to Modern Military Photos