B-52 over Bury St Edmunds

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
SuffolkBlue

B-52 over Bury St Edmunds

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I wasn't expecting to see this when i was cutting the grass at home this this evening! B-52H 60-0009 of the 5th BW, Minot AFB, was diverted into RAF Mildenhall after declaring an emergency. They made 6 passes over the town, the first of which was very low, before heading to the Mildenhall approach.

United States Air Force Boeing B-52H Stratofortress - Bury St Edmunds, Monday 17th June 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

United States Air Force Boeing B-52H Stratofortress - Bury St Edmunds, Monday 17th June 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Iain S

Re: B-52 over Bury St Edmunds

Post by Iain S »

Nice catch, with engine fire too :snack:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Great capture!

More importantly though, glad the crew managed to land it safely and walk away.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wonder if both engines werew down on the same nacelle as I see they were adjusting the trim on that side.

unanmatt

Post by unanmatt »

Interesting shots. When I worked B-52G's with the 379th at Wurtsmith AFB back in the 80's, we were told that if fire reaches the wing or fuselage you have about a minute to get out before a magnesium fire takes hold. About as close as I came was when I was in the radar nav position when some dumb-a$$ drove a bomb lift truck into a wing tank and about 500 gallons of fuel hit the concrete.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt Ellis

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Great catch... :clap: