Hornet's Nest

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
PeteM

Hornet's Nest

Post by PeteM »

No, not that kind. Hornet is the callsign used by the Cobham Helicopter Academy based at Newquay Airport since 2017.

At the last count the Academy operated 3 x Griffin HT1, 3 x Squirrel HT2 and 2 x Cabri G2 .
Griffin HAR2 (ZJ704) has been in the Hangar for more than a year but has been pulled outside for engine runs this week.
I'm not sure of the status of AW139 ZR283. I haven't seen it outside for quite a while.

14a

aviationanoraks

Re: Hornet's Nest

Post by aviationanoraks »

Good to see they still earning their keep.
Was only thinking earlier that I do miss the seeing and hearing the Griffins in the skies of Shropshire.

PeteM

Re: Hornet's Nest

Post by PeteM »

It was announced late Summer that the Academy would be closing after approximately 4 years at Newquay Airport with over 70 redundancies. The Helicopters are still in the Hangar at Newquay but they haven't flown since October. Apparently some are being sold to a Canadian operator.

Earlier this year the fleet were re-branded with Draken markings. Unfortunately I never managed to catch any flying with the new logo but
I quickly snapped these on my way home from CAHC in July thinking I'd have plenty of opportunity to catch them out and about later but that never happened. However that is of no importance when the lost jobs and disruption to families are considered. Best wishes to all the staff there.