Formula 1 bans military flypasts

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
jasonT1981

Formula 1 bans military flypasts

Post by jasonT1981 »

It's being said it is to be carbon neutral, but given how much emissions etc F1 cars give off throughout a 90 minute race, well, I am sure we all know the reasons behind it.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2022/01/ai ... rom-races/
https://racingnews365.com/f1-moves-to-b ... e-build-up

bizfreeq

Re: Formula 1 bans military flypasts

Post by bizfreeq »

What does it matter? Airshows are for aircraft displays! F1 is a motoring event and really doesn't 'need' the air element. I don't tune in every race to see aircraft flying over the track and I would say 99% of F1 fans won't notice or care about the missing displays either

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Not surprising and probably inevitable, and inline with FIA's stated aims for the sport to be carbon neutral by 2030.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

According to the BBC:

"However, it is likely groups such as the RAF's Red Arrows will be permitted as they are less obviously linked to the military."
Adam

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Just remember what Tim Prince said in the UKAR podcast about this: He rated it as bloody dangerous.

I have to say that I have never understood why they took place, as it breaks the NATO post Ramstein safety rules.

Also it means that RIAT doesn't need to interrupt the flying display because the Reds or a Typhoon need to launch at a certain time to fly over a Grand Prix. (Well, if needed they can have the Blades, as long as they operate drom Sywell)
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Draken

Post by Draken »

I don't get it, it's just a fly-past. Not full display of whole Team.
It was always a nice moment during the National Anthem to see something in the air.
Like in US - every NASCAR/Indy Race during US Anthem (usually precisely in last seconds of it) - there is always a fly-past represented by local/closest to racetrack unit.
What next? 23 races on one track not to travel around the world?

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

adamp89 wrote:
Fri 21 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm
According to the BBC:

"However, it is likely groups such as the RAF's Red Arrows will be permitted as they are less obviously linked to the military."
:rolling_eyes:

Only the BBC could write that.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Fri 21 Jan 2022, 6:35 pm
I have to say that I have never understood why they took place, as it breaks the NATO post Ramstein safety rules.
I may be missing your point, but how does a RAFAT flypast break NATO safety rules?

Surely that also means their flypasts over London, Newcastle, indeed anywhere, breaks the rules?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Since when have NATO been responsible for the conduct of airshows and flypasts?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

GeeRam wrote:
Fri 21 Jan 2022, 8:48 pm
adamp89 wrote:
Fri 21 Jan 2022, 5:32 pm
According to the BBC:

:rolling_eyes:

Only the BBC could write that.
😂
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Red Arrows have been given permission to continue the flypasts.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... 022-01-21/
aviodromefriend wrote:
Fri 21 Jan 2022, 6:35 pm

Also it means that RIAT doesn't need to interrupt the flying display because the Reds or a Typhoon need to launch at a certain time to fly over a Grand Prix. (
British GP is 2 weekends before RIAT this year.

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Mike wrote:
Fri 21 Jan 2022, 11:07 pm
Since when have NATO been responsible for the conduct of airshows and flypasts?
There is a NATO document - STANAG 3533, which details the rules for NATO aircraft participating in flying displays. It's not quite as restrictive as national regulations and single nations can make requirements to change certain parts or apply additional minima to NATO aircraft visiting their country. The idea is to standardise the rule set across NATO for displays, so it makes it easier to share a display by setting a common standard.

It naturally combines a lot of the post Ramstein thinking. For Silverstone the MAA's RA2335 would apply, which combines much of the NATO STANAG in general.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

It's nice to see that the ban on displays is for environmental reasons. One would assume that all the helicopter traffic associated with these events, will also be curtailed. :rofl:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

^ this... I did hear somebody once say that Silverstone over a GP weekend is 'technically more busy than a standard Heathrow day.' I do not quite believe that, but there's a shedload of 'coptering' to and from that event.

I am 'one of those' who tune in to the F1 broadcast at least in time for the National Anthem to see what the relevant nation has put out as a flypast. Going off topic, I think F1 will be lucky if they do not start losing fans after the way they handled that final 2021 season GP. The whole sport could (could) be moot by 2030 anyway.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

verreli

Post by verreli »

Belgian F16 and Red Devils scheduled for Spa (26-28 August).

Gregson

Post by Gregson »

So whilst these flypasts are banned for "Environmental Reasons" F1 may want to take a step back and take a good long look around to see how some of the World Governments are acting on Global Warming before getting too caught up in this sort of thing!

For one example Japan has built 22 (yes TWENTY-TWO) coal-fired power stations since the 2011 earthquake/Tsunami and the Fukushima nuclear disaster to replace its nuclear reactors as a direct result.
Australia (who in recent years has seen some of the worst effects from natural disasters as a direct result of gloabl warming) will be supplying the coal to Japan to fuel them for the next forty years...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59525480

Given the "bigger Picture" on global warming, I think the phrase "drop in the ocean" quite aptly fits this ban from F1 on military flypasts for "Environmental Reasons" and makes them look rather gullable.

Whilst Boris was spouting off at COP26 about how it struck "the death nell for fossil fuels"... me thinks not Bojo based on the evidence you buffon!!

verreli

Post by verreli »

It's called virtue signalling and it's endemic.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I wonder what they will be fuelling the F-16 with at the Belgian GP in August to make it meet their new touchy-feely environmentally-friendly requirement? Fairy dust and unicorn poo, perhaps?